Ladder recommendation?

Hello all. New to the forum. I am working my way through the Internachi certifications. My question is pertaining to buying my first inspection ladder.

I’d like to buy my first non- step ladder.

What should my first inspection ladder be?
Articulated or telescoping?
What length?

The inspectors who I have had ride-alongs with seemed to use 15 ft telescoping… But some part of me feels that a multi-position would be more versatile? Would be using to access roof and attic openings… Further down the line I would consider taller ladders, etc.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

What vehicle do you plan on using?

2 Likes

makes a difference…

2 Likes

I would recommend the largest “little giant ladder” you can carry in your vehicle. I have used them for years and they hold up very well.

Pros

• can be set up on stairs
  • can reach all ceiling heights/access panels
  • can extend to most common roof heights
  • replaces 6ft, 8ft and extension ladder

Cons

• heavier than most ladders
  • longer set up time
  • less safe as an extension ladder

Overall its the best place to start in my opinion.

Heres the link to the newer version of what I carry
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Little-Giant-Leveler-Aluminum-26-ft-Reach-Type-1A-300-lbs-Capacity-Telescoping-Multi-Position-Ladder/1001169922?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-bdm-_-ggl-_-LIA_BDM_102_Insulation-And-Ladders-_-1001169922-_-local-_-0-_-0&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlumhBhClARIsABO6p-ysZZ8ZbTXsqdbD4zj-6R1jLK3biRc7psctW2dLOANMIJsNrWoPiG0aAmRXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 Likes

Subaru Forester

James, would be driving a Subaru Forester. I have a roof rack, but would prefer to transport inside the vehicle, with back seats folded down.

The most versatile ladder that fits :smile: Telescoping and little giants are good options. Seems to me a little giant solves most issues if it fits. Or a telescoping and a 6ft A-frame. Don’t be cheap. You should expect years of good service and safety.

1 Like

well that will certainly help with Your decision as You are limited , I always preferred step and extension ladders but then I always drove a truck when I was inspecting…others will have better opinions for ladders in small vehicles…

I have been eyeing up this Gorilla ladder at Home Depot. Both the 18ft reach and the 22 ft reach version. Thoughts?

Id go with the little giant over gorilla, the self leveling feet on the little giant really make a difference.

Gorilla is a good brand but all of them are ripping off the little giant.

I would read this and make sure your ladder reaches to the heights you expect at a roof’s edge or to mount a roof (with a few rungs above the roof edge). You will need to know the deployed length of the ladder, (not always the same as advertised) You should be able to find that in the ladder specs section.

Edit: You can see that @mpictaggi uses a 26ft which is much larger than your 18ft. Something to talk about and maybe he will chime in.

I use a Werner ladder outside, has lasted about 15 years, I lube the articulating and moving parts every couple years and it still works like new. Little Giant is a good ladder as well but you’re paying for the name.

# 18 ft. Reach Aluminum Telescoping Multi-Position Ladder with 300 lbs. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating

And a Little giant Ultra Step inside, unfortunately they discontinued them.

Whatever you get be sure it’s at least a type 1A.

1 Like

Unless you’re really strong, handling a 22 foot ladder fully extended can be a challenge. I used to use a 22 and decided to just go with the 17.

3 Likes

I use a 24’ extension ladder. It is more technique than strength. Mainly because I always drop the extension down before moving it.

I guess that does not really apply to little giants or telescoping ladders. Those suckers are heavy and awkward for me. I would definitely have to use a shorter one or look like a fool onsite. Or maybe I just need more practice.

Exactly Brian, because you have to get it fully extended and then lift it into place, where as with an extension ladder, you have it in place already and you just pull the rope to extend it up.

My fully extended 22 almost got away from me a couple of times and I’m a 6’4" healthy guy.

Practice practice practice :smile:

Here I am

8 Likes

There is no one ladder that works for everyone.

Much of it comes down to what kind of homes are prevalent in your area.

If you live in an area with a lot of 1 story ranch and bungalow homes is one thing.

If you live in an area with a lot of 3-story Victorian homes, that is another thing.

Inspecting in Los Angeles is different than inspecting in San Francisco or Charleston, South Carolina.

What works for an inspector in one area may have no bearing on another area.

2 Likes

I have a 16’ extension ladder that I’ll be replacing soon with a 20’. Sometimes the 16 doesn’t quite make it. Then I have a 30’ for the occasional need. I use a Little Giant 6’ step ladder for attic access and it works great because I can open the hatch then flip up the smaller side and stick it up inside the hatch. It’s not an articulating one, technically.

3 Likes

I have the 22 feet gorilla ladder. It is sturdy built and much better than the werner ladders(I had one and I broke it lol), The latch/hinge mechanisms are also better. Only problem is the thing is heavy as hell and unwieldy to take out of my truck bed. If you have a ladder rack on your truck, I’d imagine it could possibly be even more of a pain. It will wear on your arms, shoulders, and joints taking it on and off the truck every day. Nowadays, I leave it in my truck bed for certain conditions and use an Xtend telescoping ladder, which is still heavy but more compact and versatile. You do not want to drag that gorilla ladder into the house and try to get into an attic with a scuttle hole, you will very likely damage something in the house(did I mention the beating on your body?).

If you want a long inspection life, stick with lighter telescoping or extension ladders. Wear arm, knee, body, and respirator protection in a crawlspace.

2 Likes

I brought what I needed out of a 22’ & 17’ articulating little giants and a 16’ 300lb. telescoping.

2 Likes