Lateral connection on deck rim joist

I cant seem to find a clear explanation about lateral connectors. Are deck tension ties needed on every joist? They appear to be much stronger than 10d threaded nails. Thoughts?

That hardware is installed to address the rigidity of the rim board, thus insuring the deck railing post is solid. Loose deck posts sometimes are due to rim board lack of rigidity. Good construction detail. Double rim board, carriage bolts holding the rail post; all good construction methods.

1 Like

Missing joist hangers.

1 Like

Yes, but i cant seem to find a number of connectors that is sufficient. How many are necessary? 1 , 2, 10 ? The DCA6 guidlines say every joist should be secured to rim joist.

DCA6 guidlines wants them connected at minimum with 10d nails. I believe the deck tie are superior, but cant seem to find a definitive number.

2 are required, regardless of deck size.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lateral+connection+on+deck+rim+joist&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_ECTkYqHvHYGfptQPg9aOuAY15

Go directly to the code for your state:

1 Like

That’s what I said!

2022-07-29_144156

What are we looking at here? Is this a rim board that is running parallel to the framing joists of the deck, or is this a ledger board located at the foundation wall? I don’t see any wall structure suggesting it’s a ledger board. It looks like a rim board to me.

Lots of comments here are addressing ledger board issues, of which this appears to not be.

Assuming rim board, the configuration of the walking deck material is a bit confusing. However, the deck perimeter may have decking running parallel to the rim board. Decking in the field may run a different pattern. On the upper LH corner of the image, it appears decking in the field may have been run diagonally, maybe even herring bone pattern.

If this is a rim board, that hardware is there to give rigidity to the rim board near the location of that railing post. It’s there for post rigidity. It’s an excellent detail, along with the 2 x blocking and double rim board.

I’ve built many decks with this exact detail along the rim board. Makes the railing posts dynamite rigid!

1 Like

Red members; here’s a version of the framing I believe we are seeing, less the hardware, fewer blocking members:

Deck 1

And here’s a concept of the configuration of the walking surface:

Decking

This is my take of what the OP image shows.

http://wdf.forestprod.org/Archive/23_2.pdf

Do you really need lateral load connections if you’re not in a high seismic or high wind area? Nope, not really(See research above). Is it a good idea to have some structural redundancy by using the lateral load connectors? Sure, especially as the deck ages combined with general poor construction of decks we see all the time. Does your state require a lateral load connection? If yes, then you must install one anyway.

Well, your picture doesn’t show a lateral load connector at the ledger board to band joist connection of the house. Your picture shows the deck guardrail post to rim joist connection. What the simpson deck tension tie in your picture is being used for is actually to meet the IRC’s requirement of 200lb design live load for the top of the guardrail(see below).

2 Likes

Yep, this is wrong

That’s not necessarily true.

By the time you guys are done deciding all the hardware needed for a guardrail to hold #200, the deck will look like this;
LOL

8 Likes