Main Beam

Originally Posted By: bsarles
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey everyone I inspected a basement and was checking out the main beam and from one side it was a mormal looking 2 x 10 supposedly a 3 member beam[BUILT UP ] When I went to the other side the other two members were not 2x 10s but were 2x4s laid edge wise to each other and fastnened together with gusset plates and this was done all the way across the basement instead of three 2x 10 ,there was only one side that was a 2x10.I have never seen or heard of anything like that so i wrote it up to have an engineer look at it . Did I do righ?

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I think you did it right, as that doesn’t sound “normal”. That doesn’t mean it’s wrong … just suspicious. Might be a “Harry Homeowner” special. Was there any movement of this built-up girder between supports (looking along the bottom edge)? Would be good to post a diagram or a pic if ya have one for unusual situations like that.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: wpedley

What about this?

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/MVC-016S.JPG ]

This was like this on both ends and then this
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/MVC-014S1.JPG ]

Now what do you think ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) I did?

--
BPedley
Inspecting for the unexpected

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Hmmmmm … let me guess … icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong