Make's you go Hmmmmm

Originally Posted By: senomoto
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P80101351.JPG ]

Stephen Enomoto

Horizon Home Inspection LLC

“You expect the Best . . . We’ll provide no Less”

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Steve:

What were your findings? Was that circuit properly grounded, and did you verify continuity and voltage?

Baseboard installations are common in older buildings, and some of the other problems associated with those types of installations were that the old receptacles were easily damaged, and sometimes full of floor wax and debris.

Have any other images to show here?

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: lewens

Joe

My house also has recepticles installed in the base boards but the base boards are 12" and the devices are high on them not on the floor. I would call this out as it has obviously been modified and therefore doesn’t conform. Yes or no?

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Larry

By the image Steve posted, I cannot determine the thickness of underfloor material and thickness of that carpet, and without an actual visual inspection by removal of the cover plate it would be difficult.

If the existing box was there, and was of the old type used early on, that would leave us with no complaints.

As I understand the NACHI SOP the removal of the cover may not be a usual part of the Home Inspector's service.

In your part of the Country maybe that is different, and would not be a problem for the HI.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Could also be that the floor (sub floor, hardwood floor, padding, carpet) was built up since the original installation. See this al the time in older apartment buildings that have been repeatedly remodeled and then condoized. Once found a new 3/4" oak hardwood floor installed over an older pine floor, over plywood subfloor over the original planks that west on the joists. That’s 2" over the original planking. Add a thick carpet and plush padding and it’s easy to get 3 1/2".

Will Decker

Decker Home Services

Skokie, IL 60076

wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com