Master Inspector - THE DEFINITION

I need some love. :smiley:

Geeez -do I come off as easy, or something?:smiley:

Still, I would oblige, but (again) I need to spread the love a little wider before I am allowed to check your box again (so to speak):wink: .

There is a CMI program that exists, already, and the designation has already been sold to approximately 200 people. There is no doubt that they think they know what a CMI is and how they were determined to eligible for it.

On Monday, Mike Rowan will announce the changes to the program that he plans to make…presumably from input made on the message board, but most likely from his original plan before he posted. At any rate, the tap dancing is over and the fat lady is about to sing…maybe. We still have to hear from Nick, the man who owns the trademark, regarding any plans that Rowan may have for it.

So…we shall see.

\

I almost peed my pants laughing!!!

I think I’m the one coming off as easy Joe. :wink:

Let me know when you check my box again. :wink:

Oh that’s right. I will definitely know. :smiley:

My thoughts exactly. I think most inspectors think that way, but I generalize!

http://www.oursecretgarden.org/sgforums/images/smiles/plantpull.gif

I do not own the mark any longer. I transferred it to the MICB a year ago: http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&rno=2892104

Brilliant. The word Generalist says it all doesn’t it?

You obviously haven’t. And this is what I’ve been curious about since I first learned about CMI.
My background is construction. My understanding of the Master Electrician designation is that they are not only experienced electricians, but they have also passed a comprehensive test demonstrating that they can perform load calculations on commercial buildings and they can supervise the work of others, that kind of thing. Maybe Paul Abernathy can help me out here. So while a Master Electrician will still do electrical work, they have added responsiblilities that electricians that do not have that designation cannot do. Their job function has changed, at least in part.
Is it fair to ask what will change for the Certified Master Generalist (I love that phrase by B. Wiley)?

CMI This is starting to smell like a political thing to me.
My thinking is the public will descide in the end who is the master inspector and who is not simply by the amount of inspections piled on your plate. If you receive the lions share of the inspections in your area then the public has descided you are the master not some test designed by others to fit specific needs. An engineer takes a test and becomes an engineer after 4 years of college. Does that really make him or her an engineer or is it just a title. Most engineers that I have been aquantied with over the years did not have the good sense to pour water from a boot with the directions on the heel until at least they were 45 years in age and had spent years working in their field and the same with HI’s it will be the public that descides who is the master reguardless of the title in front of your name.
So why all of the hoop-la don’t get your undershorts in a wad over a title.

One of the underlying goals is to use the CMI to raise our industry’s fees by pulling them up from the top.

This is sort of phase 2 of the plan. We need CMI first though.

Raising industry fees is fine for the larger populated areas but does nothing for the less dense population such as my market. I am already charging what the market will bear. There is such a thing as pricing your self out of the market and you find yourself at home cleaning out the clothes closets for lack of work.

I disagree of course, especially in less populated areas.

Your fees aren’t limited by what the market will bare, the market will pay way more than 1/10th of 1% of the cost of the home. Your fees are limited by what your competitors are charging, not by what your customers are willing to pay. $hit… they already pay 6% to list their property… and that’s not 6% of the equity they have in it… they pay 6% of the whole selling price (equity part plus the financed part) which in some cases is 100% of their equity (or roughly 1,000 times the cost of the inspection!). Trust me… they’ll pay way more than 1/10th of 1% for an inspection…they just don’t see a reason to… until CMI.

I am glad we agree to disagree I know the mentality of the general public here and it makes no difference how many titles you have in front of your name the bottom line is the price.

I raised my prices nearly 75% higher than my competition
in a very un-populated rural area and still do the same
amount of inspections. CMI has helped me do this.
We ask our clients why they hired me and CMI was
many times the key factor.

Me or my wife answer EVERY call, if possible… and
we do not let the client hang up until we have talked
about several key points they need to know concerning
home inspectors and the inspection process.

We must be marketers first, and inspectors second, or
we die.

People connect with communication more than just
a quoted prices. In this regard RRay has elevated
peoples awareness very well.

See RRay, I said something nice about you.

Your Bottom line may be price ,Thats my tp line .
I know I am worth more then my competition and have from the get go been the highest and will stay there.
An example of perception Brown eggs sell for about 15% more then white eggs in my area.
Now most people know there is no difference between White, Brown or Blue Chicken eggs when they are in the frying pan it is just Marketing.
CMI Is a well deserved title and if you are jealous too bad thats your problem not mine .
Roy Cooke Glad to be a CMI

That’s good for you. I just wonder what those, that check out your credentials would think if they knew that they are a bunch of CMI’s that got in under the wire with only 100 combined hours (or less) when the current number is 1000 (or at least the last time I looked).

Over the years many many certifications have evolved and
required more qualifications than they started with.

The previous members where grand fathered in and the newer
members met the new conditions. After a few thousand
people advance, who remembers the tiny % that started?

Texas requires 3 times the education levels it used to just
a few years ago. The previous inspectors were grand fathered
in and the new inspectors have to meet the newer
conditions. Its always the right thing to do. They added
more hours each year for everyone to maintain their license,
but never threw out the old inspectors.

Search the history of what I am saying, it is true about
many designations. If the board of certification breaks its
agreement with previous members every time new ideas
come along, then they loose creditability.

While trying to establish higher credentials, they break
their previous agreements and promises, how will they
produce an assoc. of honor?

If they break a promise today, they will stab you again
later, know what I mean?

You just made a statement and I would love you to quantify it how many is a bunch? .
What proof do you have that their are a lot who should not be their.
How do you confirm the CHI down the road from you is a good inspector and should be doing inspectors .

Roy Cooke Proud to be a CMI

Are you suggesting that your appointed president has autonomy over the program and can modify it as he pleases?