Ministry Announcement scheduled for this week

I briefly scanned the document posted by Claude and I am happy to see that ‘Big Brother’ is alive, well and thriving in the Province of Ontario!

Extremely reassuring is the fact, that the Minister has the right to enter into my private home to seize documents that he feels might be of interest to The Big Brother if I should be deemed to have violated some / any of the points in the extensive document posted.

It is obvious that the Members of Parliament who vote for this trash do not run this Democracy - NOT.

In fact this Country and Parliament are run by the Lawyers who write the laws.

As stated before, this legislation is for the benefit of Carson Dunlop, Pilar to Post, HUB Insurance and the other parties with a financial interest to gain.

Just my opinion as always.

Hate to be picky but the government in Ontario sits in a LEGISLATURE.:wink:

PARLIAMENT is located in Ottawa.:twisted:

I guess, from what I read, the sacred RHI is soon to be DOA:mrgreen:

Cheers

Hate to be picky but the government in Ontario sits in a LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY ;).

The RHI will survive as it is owned by CAHPI and Licensed (presently) by OAHI in Ontario. As OAHI will have to morph into a NPO under Part III of the Corporation Act of Ontario, any contracts they signed under the Pr65 Act (Bill Pr158 ) might have to be renegotiated. I’ve asked Graham Clarke to look into this, to confirm it’s validity. If so, CAHPI may refuse to re-license the RHI to OAHI and run with it themselves, or they may opt for laissez-faire.

Either way, OAHI is going to have a lot of work to do. Prior to Pr65 (Bill Pr158 ) they were an unincorporated association and a division of the Canadian Association of Home Inspectors. The latter I believe morphed into CAHPI, which may throw another wrench in any works. Interesting times ahead. :roll:

I’ve been listening to the webcast of the legislature and am right at this moment.

It seems that the OAHI has been pushing to have their members grandfathered under the new Legislation which is Bill 59.

Holding this back right now is that it includes pay day loan changes and door to door contracts.

I do hope that those of us here that are CPI or CMI’s in good standing will be grandfathered also but thus far I have not heard any mention of Nachi membership.

Victor

, Thanks for the reminder it is on at

http://ontla.on.ca/web/go2.jsp?Page=/webcast/webcast_main&locale=en&menuItem=dandp_webcast

CMI were grandfathered in Alberta when we were licensed. RHI’s were as well. Everyone else was left to swing in the wind. Just food for thought.

I do not like what I see it seems to me like Carson Dunlop could be getting to much control .
Well with Graham Clarke on the CSA panel are you surprised? Seems specialinterests took a front seat at the committee level. Just like P2P being on thepanel. Talk about conflicts! No one said boo. Why weren’t they told no youcan’t be on the panel because its a conflict, or we will let all franchises andbusinesses on.

CSA and CD = nepotism

I’ve listened to hours of debate on the subject and it does seem that they are looking to grandfather at least some segment of the current group of certified home inspector from accredited organizations, one of which MUST be NACHI.

I have heard nothing in regards to Carson Dunlop. I have read every single Carson Dunlop book and found nothing offered in any of them that isn’t offered here for FREE!

My concern is that I have heard a few members of the legislature comment on the possibility that OAHI might be the overseer of future home inspectors in Ontario. Now, that might just be lobbying and we have no idea what will happen once this goes to committee which might just happen after the current recess or once debate proceeds at 3pm.

Ontario Legislature stops the first week of December for Xmas break and does not continue until mid-February but the committees still sit.

I’ll update you on today debate once the Hansard notes are complete in case anyone misses this…it isn;t easy to sit through hours and hours of debate!

Hansards: November 14th:

Quote of the minister “in addition to setting minimum qualifications for home inspectors, the proposed legislation, if passed, will allow for the creation of a new administrative authority to oversee and enforce the new rules. This authority will be able to establish additional licensing requirements, a code of ethics for licensees, and set a technical standard for home inspections.”

Hansards: November 16th:

Quote of the minister “(in English) various home inspection associations set different qualifications, resulting in various levels of competency across the home inspection field…(translated from French)The proposed changes, if passed, would allow for the creation of a new administrative authority to administer and enforce the bill and its related regulations…(again in English)…It would be an independent, not-for-profit corporation funded by licensing fees collected from individuals and businesses in the regulated sector. If and when it is set up, the new body would be responsible for overseeing complaints from consumers…the government plans to consult with stakeholders and the industry to develop the proposed regulations…(again, from French) *We want to strike the right balance between consumer protection and acceptable costs for the home inspection sector. . * (continued in English)The proposed requirements for home inspectors, including mandatory licensing, were developed based on recommendations from a panel of 16 experts representing both industry and consumers which was established by my ministry in 2013…there are many home inspectors in this province who do their jobs well and understand what to look for in a home. These home inspectors are often held in high regard in their communities and are an essential resource to anyone buying a home. However, it is important to note that currently anybody in Ontario can practise as a home inspector.”

**From the stakeholders paper that the Minister talks about… **

"The panel proposed the following principles to help guide the transition process.

• The transition should be seamless. There should be no disruption to the access to the services being provided to consumers.
  • Home inspectors who are, or who recently have been, providing quality services in a competent and ethical manner should be allowed to continue to provide services.
  • The transition process should be straightforward, clear, and understandable.
  • Current home inspectors should have enough time to become licensed and to meet any new requirements, such as mandatory insurance and criminal checks.
  • Individuals who are in the process of attaining the education, experience, or exam requirements that are roughly equivalent to the requirements to become licensed by the new regulator should be permitted to complete that process and become licensed.

Using these principles, the panel recommended this approach to transition over a period of 18 months.

• Home inspectors with designations that reflect the licensing requirements of the new regulatory body and are approved by the regulatory body should become licensed without further review.
  • The new regulatory body should assess the education and experience of home inspectors whose designations are not approved by the regulatory body or do not meet its licensing requirements. The regulatory body can then decide if additional training, experience, examination, or testing is required before a licence is issued."

These panel discussions ended up as a full recommendation for “Transferring In” which reads:

"35. The government should establish transition provision for persons currently practicing as home inspectors.

a) There should be an 18 month notice period before licensing requirements come into effect.
b) Home inspectors with designations from existing organizations that reflect the licensing requirements of the DAA and are approved by the DAA may become licensed without further review.

c) A process should be put in place for submissions from organizations to demonstrate how their designations reflect the licensing requirements of the DAA.

d) Home inspectors without an approved designation should undergo an individual assessment of their education and experience by the home inspector regulatory body who would determine if additional training, experience, examination, or test inspection is required before a license is issued. "

It is our belief that the Minister will continue to adopt the recommendations of the Stakeholders as she has shown to do so far in her reading.

No amount of horn-blowing or lobbying from any one Association is likely to give them any special powers over the decisions of the Minister.

OAHI, like the NHICC, ASHI, InterNACHI, PHPIC, CanNACHI and OntarioACHI are all going to have to prove their Certified Inspectors have obtained education and skills that meet or exceed the requirements. This will probably mean, as it did in the other provinces, that anyone who is not a member of one of these association, or has not already proved their education by taking proctored examinations, will have to do so, among other requirements they will need to meet.

Otherwise, they will have 18 months to get their ship in order.

We’ll be adding another line to www.nachi.org/approved

Not if you don’t start assisting in the counteraction of heavy lobbying from well funded directions in Ontario. Already there are several pointers as to whose paying to be heard in the assembly.

We have written to the Minister on behalf of all the other associations in Ontario as well as InterNACHI and the other U.S. society, but it would be nice if we could get some assistance rather than the constant abuse.

BUMP!

I expect we will have an election before it is final.
The liberals are not loved and we likely will have a new political party leading Ontario.

I sure wish we do. I always was slightly left of center politically, but I think these clowns should go. Time for a change.

Could not have said it better myself!

Cheers

What do we have to say that needs to be heard? We’re for quality, robust education. Who isn’t? And who produces and provides better home inspection courses than InterNACHI? No one.

I could not agree more but the reality in Ontario will not be InterNachi!

It will be Carson Dunlop at thousands a pop. Why, because they were on the advisory committee along with HUB insurance at $3500 a pop.

The rich get rich on the backs of the shmoes doing the work and accepting the liability.

And remember, the governing body can come in to your private residence without a warrant to look at your books and see if you are doing something that Big Brother doesn’t like!

Time to read the small print folks!

The purported transition period of 18 months will be sufficient for this old contractor to say enough is enough and I will be out of here. Another private business owner down the tubes thanks to the Liberal jack asses in Toronto.

JMO as always!

No only that but they can FORCE you to provide passwords and examine your private storage devises. THE POLICE DON"T HAVE THAT AUTHORITY!

Cheers

I doubt that. They are on the advisory committee and so they would be the last education provider to be given a monopoly. That would be an illegal use of a public position for personal gain.

Furthermore, their courses aren’t very good IMHO, especially in comparison to InterNACHI’s.

Furthermore, their courses aren’t very good IMHO, especially in comparison to InterNACHI’s.

Again, I agree!

But just wait and see. It will be Carson Dunlop and I bet every Ontario inspector will agree with me.

Time will tell, but Mr. Carson did not volunteer his time and money without a financial gain. The same holds true for Mr. Treavor Welby Solomon (or whatever his name is) aka. Mr. Pillar to Post for Ontario.

Once again JMO!

Uh, that would be a crime.