Misleading article about ASHI?

If this Realtor has never heard of NACHI yet plugs ASHI - what is wrong with this picture?

As far as the Proctored exam having anything to do with a Realtor ever hearing of NACHI, nothing.

As far as NACHI being perceived as a legitimate association that has strict entrance requirements (including a Proctored exam by a third party), everything

Must be a regional thing. I have never been asked by any Realtor if I belong to ASHI, Nachi, NAHI or any other association. Most important thing apparently is “How much?” and “When can you do it?”

Nick, just out of curiousity , on the texas licensing exam i passed, were they using this NHIE test that I keep seeing talked about on the message boards?

I am an “ASHI Certified Inspector”.

ASHI has 3 levels of membership.

1. “Associate”
  2. “Associate with logo use”
  3. “ASHI Certified Inspector”

You can call them up & pay your dues and be an associate but you will not be an ASHI Certified Inspector until you have met certain criteria. But I’m certain you already knew that.

So we can’t say we are certified NACHI home inspectors?

What the hell is “Associate with logo use” mean? Sounds kind of dubious. How does someone achieve that status?

I stand corrected. I thought ASHI stayed away from the word certified.

Why not?

Reading this does this mean to join ASHI you have to have done 250 inspections? ASHI words everything confussing.

Why Choose an ASHI Inspector?

Only an ASHI inspector can provide your customers with a professional, personalized inspection that combines more than 30 years of the highest technical standards, adherence to a strict code of ethics and the very best in customer service and education. We call this “The ASHI Experience”.
When you choose ASHI, you’ll be working with professional home inspectors who have passed the most rigorous technical examinations in effect today, including inspectors who are required to perform more than 250 professional inspections before they’re even allowed to call themselves ”certified”. No other professional society can match the credentials of an ASHI inspector.

Help your customers obtain an inspection that is valuable, informative and educational. Recommend ASHI inspectors.
http://www.ashi.org/realestate/why.asp

Doug,

An ASHI Associate with Logo use has:

1: performed 50 fee paid home inspections (5 of these are chosen random and verified by an ASHI comittee to be in substantial compliance with SOP)
2: Passed the NHIE and SOP / COE exams) …NHIE was $225 when I took it and SOP and COE was $80

After this you can use the ASHI Logo with Associate under it(BFD) or you can use “The ASHI EXPERIENCE” Logo.

…but you can still not say you’re an ASHI certified inspector.

BTW, you have some very good points in your previous posts on this topic…later

Doug - Google ASHI and you can read all about it.

ASHI fully embraces certification

Thanks. I just got back from looking it up myself but you explained it well for all of us. So, on the surface it looks like there is at least some sort of checks in place in most organizations before they let you use their logos. One can still join ASHI but just can’t tell anyone…lol… until they take some tests. I’m not sure why anyone would do that but okay. I have no problem with that. The whole proctored test thing is a ruse anymore. All kinds of colleges and degrees now use the internet to give classes as well as administer tests. This pissing contest started long before any of this was an issue and that and other issues are now just convenient hammers used to hit people over the head with when the association wars break out. ASHI has done a good job of branding themselves but they have been at it for years and I have even seen their name in U.S. Govt brochures in the past.

In the real world, Realtors are like Hair dressers. Most never last more than a few years and change agencies about as often as they change skivvies. I have had to throw out many business cards because agents are constantly moving. Those that do last, usually stay put, have a network they have developed and tend to refer the same people over and over, including home inspectors. The really good Realtors I know WANT a good home inspection. They never ask me to softball the report. They understand the report protects them as much as it does the buyers. I have had several tell me they sleep well at night without worrying if the inspector missed something. These agents sell a lot of houses, never get upset when a deal falls through and are in it for the long haul. I believe 20% of the Realtors sell 80% or more of the houses. The rest are just barely hanging on. The good ones could care less if you or I belong to ALL the associations as long as we do a good job. I like working with them, they trust me and I trust them. The rest of them that pass through the profession are like farts in a wind storm, here for only a second and then gone forever. What some airhead puts on her blog about home inspectors isn’t going to make a dimes difference in the grand scheme of things. Most people never read that drivel because they have either heard it before or it is so boring you have to sit on your gonads to stay awake while reading it.
Home inspectors tend to be a little melodramatic if you haven’t already noticed. Everything is a crisis, panties get into a wad and feelings are hurt rather easily and never have a bunch of men acted more like school yard sissies until they get into one of these BB snits.

pretty good stuff Doug!

Don’t worry, sh** is going to hit the fan next month…:mrgreen: