More is not better

I was doing an inspection when the Roofer showed up to strip and replace the roof . He saw how many layers there was and said no way my dump fees would be more then I they were going to pay me .I am out of here and he was gone no idea what the eventual out come was thanks for the post and picture Chris .

Good story.

Wow, impressive amount of deferred maintenance! :wink:

That’s why they sell 3 inch roofing nails.

:frowning: :frowning:

Too short !

obviously they realize we are on a round planet that is spinning very fast …they are just trying to weight the house down so it doesn’t fall off…good planning I say…

When I reroofed my daughters house I found 9 (yup 9) layers of rolled and shingles. Just about killed me during the tearoff. Took 2 rolloff dumpsters to get the stuff out.

what were they using for nails on 9 layers?

When I was a contractor I bid to tear off and reroof a home that had 4 layers. I explained to her that 3 layers is the max allowed (back then.)

The woman hired a company that installed a 5th layer over the existing roofs. I asked her why would she do that and she said “the other guy said its good insulation.”:roll:

9 layers? 5 is the most I’ve ever seen. Did the rafters spring up after you did the tearoff:mrgreen:

This was a record for me. Tried to count the layers but ran out of fingers. Buyers were told the roof was only 2 years old. :roll:

New subject. (Although that thread was very interesting.) I am a new inspector and I once had a retiring inspector criticize me when I was practicing an inspection upon his home that was on the market. He was taking notes on my procedure; which was the typical thing you learn at ‘inspectors school’. Exterior, Roof…later on Attic, etc. He suggested to do the attic before the roof so you can see damage to the roof structure or the type of sheathing it has before you mount the roof and possibly damage it or yourself.
I have been practicing this hint and you would not believe how much grief it has saved me. For one, there are many homes in my area (western and rural Colorado) where roofs had skip sheathing under metal roofing and some was spaced to the maximum. They are tricky to walk and if you did not know it was used, you can damage the panels. Walk on the screws. My own 100 year old home has it and I have built roofs of this type myself, back in the day. I think that was good advice.