More on Mold

Originally Posted By: jpeck
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

rbracklow wrote:
Sorry, I do not appreciate you putting words in my mouth.

I didn't. I did re-phrase it to the way you SHOULD have said it. But, it seems you cannot read that correctly either.

Quote:
Again just like I said earlier, if you don't like taking Mold Samples, your a big boy so don't, but don't ridicule people who do, and make good money doing so.

That's the crux of the problem. You, and the others, are making "good money" off naive, gullible and unsuspecting buyers.

Quote:
My posts are to help people make a rational decision, and to provide news and information.

Sounds, to me, like you are trying to SELL mold inspections to other HIs. You are giving one side and I am giving the other side. Apparently you have less sure footing because you almost always try to turn it into a shouting match and ... hmmpphfffff ... get mad when someone disputes you.

Quote:
When was the last time you did the same and not trying to scare them out of their wits.

This post, my last post, the post before that, etc.

You try to sell other HIs on doing mold testing.

I'll try to warn them of the hazards of doing mold testing.

If we both do our job equally well, then they can make a rational decision based on the information that we present. "Making good money" should not even be a consideration in that decision.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Personally I want nothing to do with mold testing. It is the snake oil of our time. I also don’t want the govenment legislating what we as home inspectors have to do in our inspection.

I fully agree with Jerry on this one.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

This thread was started by Ron, after getting some correspondence from Leslie. Ron, why not have Leslie shed some light on the subject? I still want to know what standards she will tell us have been set.

Ron, the type of sampling/identification you perform is NOT what Leslie is specking of relative to "testing". Mold labs are trying to sell the idea of air sampling, baseline establishments, and thresholds. Otherwise, the data is meaningless (well, it is already).

So, we are speaking of apples and oranges. If my client wants me to take a sample of something they or I suspect is mold, I use tape and seal it in an envelope. The client signs a hold harmless agreement, pays me for my time to transport the sample to Cornell for identification, writes a $25 check payable to Cornell, and receives the results directly. I am out of the picture. That's how I handle mold.

At the end of the day, health care professions, working on baseline and testing protocols with CIH, will set the standards.

At the very end, it's likely that laws will be passed which bars a HI from performing these tests. An example of this, though extreme, can be seen in NJ, where HIs are now barred from taking water samples. Only a certified lab employee is allowed, by law, to take the samples for analysis. This is a state mandate.

Unless our industry recognizes the true qualifications, education, and certifications needed, we will eventually be prohibited from performing this type of work. Though there are some knowledgable folks out there, there are far too many use car salesmen. Many times, these folks reprsent the labs or testing services out there.

As to the lawyers, they will tear you apart on the witness stand. Once it is exposed that you have taken a one week class, as compared to the CIH-microbiologist expert witness for the plaintiff who has the proper pedigree, you can kiss your assets goodbye...

Hell, they do it with termite inspectors one, two, three. In those cases, we're only talking about structural damage. With mold, you're dealing with a person's life. There's a valuable lesson to be learned, here.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: rwills

Quote:“You try to sell other HIs on doing mold testing.

I’ll try to warn them of the hazards of doing mold testing”.

I would think that HI's capable of running their own business would be able to choose if they want to do this or not without anyone talking them into it or warning them against it. As far as I can tell by the member list, there are quite a few that either already do it or choose not to! To assume people in the business need to be warned is nothing less than undermining their intelligence!

--
Bob Wills - MAB Chairman
BW Inspection Services
Warminster, Pa.
http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Tom Turner

Bob

To say that warning people is nothing less than undermining their intelligence is a statement that I have to take issue with. One of the main functions of this message board is to help the HI's by education and the experience of inspectors that have been there and done that. No one is trying to imply that the inspectors that use this message board are not intelligent. What we are doing is expressing our opinions and letting both sides of the story be known. If the people using this message board were not smart they would not be here would they?

Tom

Tom T Quote:“No one is trying to imply that the inspectors that use this message board are not intelligent”. Tom, I beg to differ, ever hear the saying “If I want your opinion I’ll ask for It”? Well that’s the point I was making. I didn’t see a post above by anyone asking for an opinion if they should or should not include mold testing in there business. Just because someone posts some info pertaining to the up and coming agendas on the subject doesn’t mean someone else has to automatically jump right in against it and call people that do it ripoff artists! I’m also aware that people come here to share opinions, hell, so do I, it’s when people get their “opinions” confused with the assumption that their way is the right way and everyone else is wrong or crooked! Besides, my post wasn’t directed at you so where is this “we” you speak of?

You quoted: “If the people using this message board were not smart they would not be here would they”? That’s my point exactly, I believe everyone here is smart enough not to rely on anyones “opinion” other than their own after gathering “facts” to make such an important decision. There are many here that can and do offer these services as part of their business and do not knock anyone who doesn’t and therefore should not be ridiculed!!! In My Opinion!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Bob,

So, all these smart people here do not need to be bothered with anyone promoting mold testing either, right? Because they are smart enough to figure that out themselves, right?

Excellent!

Ron (or anyone else) doesn't post anything about mold testing and I won't either (notice that my *reply* about mold came after a *post* about mold). Sounds good to me.

If we were all that smart, there would not be any need to this forum, right? We'd all know it all without asking.

No, none of us knows it all, that's why we ask questions when we don't know, and answer other peoples questions when we do.

NOW THAT makes us ALL SMARTER!

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry

I totally agree. Good post.

The end.

Tom T

Quote: “Bob,

So, all these smart people here do not need to be bothered with anyone promoting mold testing either, right”? Right! I agree with that to, you don’t see me promoting or pushing it on anyone do you? God forbid you ask a question here regarding the subject without being either accused of being a huckster, or told you shouldn’t as a HI being doing it! To that I say “BS”. We’ll decide that on our own.

Quote:“No, none of us knows it all, that’s why we ask questions when we don’t know, and answer other peoples questions when we do”.

No, but there are some who try to come off as if they sure “know it all”.

Quote:“Ron (or anyone else) doesn’t post anything about mold testing and I won’t either (notice that my reply about mold came after a post about mold). Sounds good to me.

Ron’s post was sharing info he found that may be of interest to SOME HI’s. which anyone should be able to post without ridicule! For instance: If I post a question asking"what is the best way to promote my radon testing”? it should not be responded to by “people who test for radon are ripoff artists and should not be doing it”. (just an example), in other words, just answer my question please, no opinions.

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

Bob,

Come on now. No opinions. Sounds like that other message board ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif) or the old Russia.

Tom T

Tom, Like I said, one should be able to ask a question without ridicule and get a straight answer, like I also said, “If I wanted an opinion, I would ask for it”. Oh yeah, and don’t forget, " Opinions are like a$&#@&^%, and we all have one, and they all stink"! When you ask a question, do you want an answer, or do you want someone asking why you’re asking the question and what you should or shouldn’t be doing!! Now that! sounds like the old Russia!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Jerry,

Your diatribe isn't worth answering!! I just love certain people telling me "what I really meant to say is"!! I love you people attempting to put words in my mouth, which I had never intended to say in the first place.

Leslie, can answer for her self, I don't need her to help in my defense. What she said, is what she said, what I said is what I said, those are facts. If you don't want to do Mold sampling, fine, but leave your BS opinions at home and not on this MB.

If you want to discuss the Mold issue, I would be more than happy to discuss this with you, but don't dispute something that I feel you really don't know anything about.

And Yes, I will continue to post as I see fit. Go wrestle an Alligator or something, perhaps that will get rid of your aggression!!

David, what is this crap about the medical profession, what the hell has that got to do with Mold??

Common Guys, let's get with the program, and stop agitating because you disagree!!

I am finished, I hope!!

Ron.

--
The highest compliment my clients can give me, is the referral of their Friends, Family and Business Associates!

NorCal NACHI Chapter Founder and Chairman.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Ron,

Put your glasses on and re-read my post. Nothing was mentioned about a "medical profession".![](upload://kPfCTIr2MvAiQ548DCSC1ILbXLt.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

]

David, there are great memory pills out there!!

Ron.

--
The highest compliment my clients can give me, is the referral of their Friends, Family and Business Associates!

You obviously can’t read.

Where does it say "Medical profession"?![](upload://ktP9biW5imEL3GnFvgRJlJbsPlS.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

David, David,

What are you implying, and don't play games!!

Ron.

--

Ron,

Being a member of the Steering committee...You need to take a more professional approach towards your posts here. ![](upload://zrlCdpYRGZ4eLQaSEDs42YDhBh8.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Yes, Dear!!

Ron.

--

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

So lets get the peraon who gave Ron the HUD information on this thread…

From what I have read these past 3 days from HUD, they will NOT require mold testing...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Joe,

I've already notified Leslie and asked her for her opinion. Hopefully she'll verify her information, and put this thread to rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron.

--