NACHI attorney Joe Ferry offers help on this board.

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Good idea.

I for one enjoy many items not related to the inspection industry and would cotinue to visit.

Originally Posted By: dave hartke

Nick

I may be out of line because my check might not have cleared the bank yet but I find myself in the unusual position of disagreement. The possibility of bogus lawsuit against the HI is the only thing that worries me in starting my own business. Remember, " About 1 in 50 people are completely nuts". Having someone like Joe to advise us simply levels the playing field somewhat. His advice and the statement/question made by the HI can be used by the plaintiff and the plaintiffs' attorney against the HI. It's kind of like playing poker and showing your hand to everyone else at the table.

I don't think any other thread here can be used to hurt the one making the post.

People are not disturbed by what is said, they are disturbed by their opinion of what is said.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Gary:

You, me, and half the known universe. The two threads which will likely move to "Inspection Unrelated" first are also our two most popular.

Nick

Thanks Dave:

Note the words of wisdom from a non-member.

I was only trying to put up a fight for the same reason I try to put up a fight to defend other threads. I don't want us turning into... you know.

I like the Legal Section being moved to members-only and an Inspection-Unrelated Section being added to the bottom of our board. It won't please everyone but we can never do that anyway. Besides, its not up to me.

Opinions please.

Nick

Originally Posted By: dave hartke

Nick

Now I'm in complete agreement.

Thanks.

Dave

Nick

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Nick,

PEEERRRFECT.
Sounds like a great strategy move to me. Now we're getting somewhere. Dispersing these threads into the appropriate areas will direct viewers and members to areas they will be interested in. No surprises and no beneficial information can be obtained until you click that toipic or qualify yourself.

NEXT.......?

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

All,

I am all for moving the legal section to the members only area. Many good reasons for this have already been stated. What would stop a consumer (and they do come to our board) from asking for help in suing an HI? Cloak and dagger exists more in the legal field than it does in the CIA. (sorry Joe). Also members, remember that we get many benefits other than this board that nonmembers don't get, so that isn't my reason for wanting the section placed in members only.

As for moving the two most popular threads on the board. Are they the most popular by posts, or the most popular by unique hits, and how many of those unique hits return? If they are moved to an inspection unrelated section of the members only forum, fine. It won't stop threads from moving into arguments. We recently had one that moved from an innocuous topic into gun control and back. Put one up for "Argument of the day".

As for those who think that the opinions stated on this wonderful unmoderated and uncensored forum may reflect poorly on the organization I say this. The only time a "urinating contest" as one member said, can make an organization look bad is when the member status says "staff" next to it. This organization, thank God, (oops, that shouldn't be here, someone will get mad) is made up of members, by members, for members. It is not a money collecting machine run from the top down. All members have opinions, and some will agree and some will disagree. Gerry stated correctly that we cant even agree how to wire an outlet properly. He's right, just read the posts in the electrical thread.

For those of you who want to delete any thread on this forum, I ask you to STOP and THINK about what you are asking for. If you delete a forum, as the Great One says, we are on a slippery slope. If Inspirational thread is deleted, Iggy's pic is next. Then, do we stop "what's everyone's Sunday ride" from being posted, or how about "fishing". "Popped my cherry" may be offensive to some, and there are many more on this board posted by many different members that I'm sure some PC person will be offended by. Do you want your thread censored or deleted because someone else thinks it is too controversial? Who decides that? The fact that a member left NACHI because of posts in a thread on a message board says volumes more about the person who left than anything about the organization, specifically because that thread had nothing to do with NACHI or the home inspection industry. There was something more at work there.

This unmoderated and uncensored board is a big item that separates us from other inspector organizations. Begin censorship and a moderator and we will become what many of us either decided to leave or not join in the first place. What are we then, NASHI, CNAHI????? Then we might as well start a NACHI branding campaign.

Cherish this unmoderated, uncensored board. Cherish your freedom here. In the end, it is what separates US, from them.

Blaine

It takes me too darn long to type cause I have to chase my kids around and stuff. My long winded opinion was supposed to have been up long prior to the last five or six posts.

The 22 Budweisers I had today had nushing to doo whithh my oopooiiinion eitherer.

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Nick,

After reading this thread I have to commend you and the members for coming up with a solution. I agree that the legal advice should be for members only, and moving the non-related to a separate section. Depending on how this legal advice goes it can actually be used as a marketing advantage for NACHI. Just being new like me, if I saw that NACHI offered free legal advice with membership would be a big bonus.

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: Tom Logan

Nick and Joe H,

Good start. Rome was not built in a day.

TL

Blaine:

Great post. Especially the questions. Thank you.

Nick
NRA Member

PS. I'm bummed I missed the gun control diversion, I would have loved to get in on that one.

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Nick,

I have a few thoughts and again I do not always think the same as others.

1) Move the legal advice to members only.

2) Non related topics that are controversial and non inspection related move to members only.

3) Post rules openly for participation (basic common courtesies)

4) Continue to be "non moderated" but if more than "x" number of complaints or objections by members are posted, the offending post will be removed or moved to members only by the originator.

5) Members only remains viewable by members only, however we add the ability for non members to see the index of topics currently being discussed but non members cannot access the content.

In my opinion these suggestions can keep the openness of the board as well as keep memberships privileges related to the board. This will also enable non members to see what they are missing on the members only board, call it an enticement.

I have tried to offer solutions for the items I have struggled with.

Thanks for taking any or all of these into consideration.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Quote:
Non related topics that are controversial and non inspection related move to members only.

Who will decide which topics are too controversial? What will be the criteria? I don't like the anti-SUV campaign launched by the Sierra club. To me it is controversial, but I will fight for their right to launch it. If the forum is controversial and someone can't take it, don't read it, or don't answer the previous posts. Non members help strike up the controversy in many threads also. We had a MEMBER quit supposedly because of a thread in the non members section. Would moving it to a members only thread help that?

Quote:
Continue to be "non moderated" but if more than "x" number of complaints or objections by members are posted, the offending post will be removed or moved to members only by the originator.

We are now an organization of almost 2000 members. what is x"? Will it be 35 members, 135 members, what is the number. I could walk outside right now and say that the sky is blue and many would disagree one way or another. If you or I quit NACHI, will that bring up discussion that the topic needs to be removed or moved?

Quote:
Post rules openly for participation (basic common courtesies)

"Everything I need to know in life I learned in Kindergarten" (for those who don't know, that was a best selling book in the 90's)

Quote:
Members only remains viewable by members only, however we add the ability for non members to see the index of topics currently being discussed but non members cannot access the content.

That just may be a very good idea ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif) . Just like a bikini is more enticing than nudity (to some) because it leaves you wanting more!

May I also remind all members that during all of these horrible, controversial, non politically correct urinating contests, our membership continues to grow, and other organizations are either stagnant, or losing members.

Blaine

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Blaine,

Quote:
Quote:
Non related topics that are controversial and non inspection related move to members only.

My interest in moving these threads is more from a professional position, when outsiders are looking in I personally like to have professional topics discussions visible. I do support free speech and agree that all have that right.

"I" still think that personal conversations on non HI topics are a choice to participate or not. However it is like when siblings fight, it can be vicious but let an outsider pick on one of them and it is a hard way to go for the outsider, typically the siblings stick together. In other words, keep it in the family and not on the front lawn. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

I for one cannot see quitting an organization such as NACHI that has so much to offer because of this message board regardless of content.

Blaine, glad you agreed that the enticement of seeing the index for members only without access to the content would be a good selling point.

Again "I" am probably conservative in comparison to many and my views and conversations probably reflect this.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Mike,

I see your points, and they give me another thought train. (or maybe it's the Bud!)

We have a topic under membership, titled "ASHI". A non member entered and several of us, of which I am quite certain I was one of the worst, began and escalated what Gerry called a "urinating contest". Now, my skin is leather thick. I believe that when someone slaps you, you punch them. If they pull a knife, you pull a gun, etc. Members and non members joined in this topic and the water was quite yellow, and I tried with a couple of others to make it blood red. I think in this thread that Russel actually had the gun at someone's head. LOL If you haven't read the thread, please do. How could we have moved this topic to a members only section, since several non members were involved in the fray? Dirty laundry is a part of any organization. The difference between us and "them" is that we air it, and allow it. I will take my chances forever with an organization that is out in the open.

Debate, no matter how scurrilous or viscous, opens the thought process. That is, unless someone is preaching from a soapbox. I will get off my soapbox now.

By the way, on the conservative thing, Look it up in the dictionary. You will see my picture just to the right of Limbaugh and Reagan.

Best to you in this holiday season,

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

It appears that for now Chris will decide what is inspection-related and what isn't but that shouldn't be too hard or subjective. If someone disagrees about the relatedness of a thread we can discuss. And the threads will exist in their own section at the bottom of the board. Legal Advice will get moved to members only. (Sorry non-members). Chis is visiting family out of state until next week.

THANK YOU ALL, GENTLEMEN. Nice work.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Tom Logan

“KIS” = Keep It Simple

All non-related HI topics, whether or not controversial, should be in the members only section. The public should not see the BS. PERCEPTION is everything, at least it plays a big part in how we look.

There is no need to talk about SUVs, religion, etc., ect. There are many sites on the web that people can access. If you want to talk about religion, then tell those folks to go to a specific chat room. KEEP IT SIMPLE, this is not rocket science.

What important is HI topics, business, and how to stop ASHI from controlling the industry.

Nick, we notice you don't mention ASHI no more. What's up wit that.

TL

Tom:

We already decided what to do about various threads, see above post.

Nick

PS ASHI & NACHI agreed not to disparage each other in writing. We entered into a sort of peace treaty. ASHI dropped its legal actions against NACHI. ASHI can't disparage NACHI by arguing for ASHI-only legislation anymore. I'm trying to be a good sport for now. There is a shift of ASHI members to NACHI going on and I want them to feel our doors are open. Our industry's disgust with ASHI should not shame individual ex-ASHI inspectors.

The Agreement does not affect individual NACHI members who are of course free to say and do what they like and it does not affect our lawsuit against PHIC, a separate organization which ASHI swears they want nothing to do with.

Nick