NAHI Membership

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone out there belong to NAHI? What do you have to do to join.

Ben, can I borrow those 250 inspections I did with your bro, so I can be a full member?

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: rwills

Joe,

Go to www.nahi.org

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

You are the full member of NAHI right? How do you prove to them that you did the inspections, what do you have to provide as proof? I am thinking of just doing the regular member, what did you have to do?

Joe Myers

A & N Inspections, Inc.

Originally Posted By: Daniel Keogh

Joe to join as a regular memeber you need 100 inspctions and youe need to pass the Ashi test or The NAHI CRI exam ( the NAHI test ) To become a CRI you need 250 inspections and you need to pass the CRI exam. I have been very plaesed with NAHI and I amgald that I joined. Iwas resenty at the NAHI fall conferance and found the membership there to be made up of very good and professional inspectors.

The CRI seems like it is just the basic toy to get us to pan out more money. You know how those other associations are! HEHEHE

I really did not see a big differnce in the membership status. One thing is certain, I will not be joining ASHI anytime soon. It is the GOD LIKE status they give themselves. I could certainly understand they have been around for some time, that does not mean they are smarter than you or I. I really think you are better off letting agents know you are informed and educated and you did not need ASHI for that. Mostly you will have troulbe with the "old timers" that do not invite change, like notebooks, printers and indoor plumbing!

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Joe, I think your viewpoint on ASHI is skewed.

Seems the Pennsylvania problem is more PHIC than ASHI National.

Remember PHIC is a coaliton of ASHI "AND" NAHI.

Communicate with some ASHI members outside of PHIC & Pennsylvania. You'll get some eye opening.

Ole Joe Kelly is just the figurehead of PHIC that draws the wrath.

Ya know, kinda like Ole Nick is the figurehead of NACHI that draws the wrath.

B4U,

I am the kind of guy that people state, "likes to stick his finger in the fan". I have not ever or will ever imply that all ASHI members are that way, I have just had the fortunate luck of running into most that are.

In the past I have worked with ASHI members that were good guys and excellent inspectors. I thank them for all the valuable information they have passed onto me and I onto others. God Bless Them!

It is not my intention to demean others I simply return the favor when others do unto me. NACHI allows me the freedom to do inspection the way I choose which is important to me and other members I have spoken with. I for one am not code inspector, I am a home inspector. To me....that means a safe house which will not trap my client into a money pit.

Thanks for listening.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

It is true that PHIC is technically a coalition of both ASHI and NAHI. However, PHIC is completely controlled by ASHI (see their board members). I have been careful to keep NAHI out of the line of fire, and they have done the same for NACHI. The only thing bad I can say about NAHI is that they are (at best) like neutral countries in WWII. We all know that NAHI is ASHI’s lap dog…but at least its not an attack dog. ASHI on the other hand uses ASHI member dues to attack other smaller private inspection associations. And like countries that trade economically with terrorists , ASHI members idirectly hurt us all simply by paying their dues.

Nick

P.S. NACHI does not contact, badger, attack, or try to "email slam" the members of other associations like ASHI does. I know of no other association (other than ASHI) that does this. ASHI is in a class (albeit a low one) by itself.

The only slam e-mail I got was from Joe Kelly representing PHIC. Have others received slam e-mails from ASHI members outside of PA?

You are outside of PA. I am starting to get reports that Joe Kelly badgered and threatened people into removing their NACHI link from their site. I see he even got to you, despite you being in KY (NACHI isn’t even on your link page any longer). Please send me copies of any communication he sent you. Thanks. We’re going to take his house.

Nick

If they had made any such attempt they would have said so just to make sure we understand they have nothing to do with this. The fact here is that he is doing this and they are making no attempt to stop him, what does that tell you! Joe Kelly must be the attack dog that is going to catch all the heat!

What do you think about their lack of concern over the NACHI name and reputation?

Joe Myers

I’m ticked. That’s twice I’ve lost a long message when hitting the submit button. Chris, what’s up with that.

Yes,

No.

Keep it to PHIC.

ASHI doesn't publicize what they tell Kelly. NACHI doesn't publicize what they tell you about the unprofessional posts you've made. Don't get me wrong, I've seen a lot more good ones from you than those few.

The point is Neither publicizes it.

That's all I'm going to re construct at this point.

Erby,

You are missing the point. It really is great that the ASHI guys around you are good people but some here are really trying to destroy other associations reputations and are acting in a irresponsible and unethical manner. ASHI is doing nothing to stop it which makes them just as guilty.

Let me put it this way. If you watch someone rob a store at gunpoint. You know that you have information that could lead to the arrest and conviction of the person and you just sit back and watch. You are just as guilty as them.

Joe Kelly is a professional. Joe Kelly has overstepped the line with the accusations that are clearly unfounded, demeaning and damaging to the NACHI reputation. While ASHI has made it clear they are not iinvolved and Joe Kelly is acting on behalf of the PHIC and not ASHI. Have they done anything to stop him or remove their name from public view. ME THINKS NOT! GUILTY!!

Now if you think they do not give a SH** about us, do you really think they give a SH** about you?

Joe Myers

Erby:

I can see your point. You make some sense from your vantage point.

We had our fill of NAZIBrian at inspectinews. He used to edit and delete my posts till I called him on it. At the time we didn't even have a board. NAZIBrian is why we built ours. Now he deletes all pro-NACHI threads at inspectionews, locks me out of his MB, and edits and deletes other people's posts as he likes. This message board believes in freedom of speech. If Joe Kelly wants to come on here and NACHI bash, I would welcome him. You can, he can, always could, and always will be able to say whatever anyone likes here. Truth will be discovered this way. Anyone can call me anything they want (just don't call me late for a hot meal) ASHI's board is restricted to ASHI members, so enough said about ASHI other than private associations have the right to keep their conversations private and I don't knock ASHI for it. However, NACHI's FREE SPEECH message board is the ONLY place for open discussions and arguments between inspectors of ALL associations. All can participate without fear of edits/thread deletions/expulsions. We are the good-ol-USA of inspection message boards.

What's wrong isn't the posts Joe Kelly puts up. The last one he put up on inspectionews had numerous NACHI friendly responses that made us here at NACHI cry real tears of joy. Unsolicited pro-NACHI defenses offered in response to Joe Kelly's post on inspectionews was an early Christmas present for me this year. I can't explain how much energy those posts gave me. What's wrong is that ASHI's Joe Kelly uses our membership list to badger members of our association directly. Most professions would not permit this. I, as a REALTOR would lose my license if I contacted another agent's client and told them how terrible of a real estate company they are using and asked them to drop their agent and go with me. It is about as scummy as you can get...and again...unprofessional by most industry standards, including the home inspection industry (I hope). His mass slander and interference with our business relationships gave us grounds for our law suit. I'm trying to take Rodney King's advice and "just get along" so I left ASHI off the defendant list, though NACHI's counsel argued against that decision.

If Joe Kelly has something to say (truthful or not) he can post it here. I have invited him before. His response to my invitation was the same as his response to NAZIBrian's invitation to the online debate...he ran away.

I on the otherhand immediately accepted the challenge despite having experience that leads me to believe that the debate thread would be deleted if I began to win.

ASHI's/Kelly's logo says something about "let knowlege remove all doubt." or something like that. This message board is doing exactly that.

Thanks for participating...especially when you offer a contrary opinion. You're a pretty sharp fella in my book Erby. I would love to hear any criticisms you have of NACHI. I think your objective view is very valuable to NACHI. Happy New Year. Your buddy Nick

P.S. To Joe Myers: You're right, ASHI knowingly permitted Joe Kelly to use their logo/letterhead and only recently claimed that he is "acting alone (personally) not as ASHI and without ASHI's consent or support."

P.S.S. To those who object to the use of the name NAZIBrian: I mean no offense (other than to Brian). I ask that you imagine having someone like Joe Kelly slander you in your local newspaper. When you go to the paper's editor and ask to reply, he tells you that he is not going to permit a reply. Scenerios like this occurred on inspectionews and in NAZI Germany.

P.S.S.S. To Brian: You of course can reply to this thread here.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

message. And to Nick’s point, it’s absolutely true, although Brian’s MB seems to be more “tolerant” of pro-NACHI posts of late. I think what he’s afraid of is possibly losing an income stream if ASHI continues to get bashed by NACHI members. To my knowledge and experience, he has never edited or deleted any of my posts, and I can tell you that I am VERY pro-NACHI. My opinions on ASHI are stinging, valid, and to the point.

Erby's point is that the PHIC/Joe Kelly/ASHI issues are not well known outside of PA. When we bitch and moan about it, the folks who don't know what it's about (or don't care), tune-out. In fact, they may get the impression that PHIC/ASHI may be right about NACHI. Although it's not, where can a member or visitor go to get te truth about the AG's stance on the matter; the PA Realtor's view on the matter; the legislature's response; etc. ? We need to keep the PA issues, though very valid, as a separate issue. Perhaps under "State and Local Licensing" monikers. My belief is that ASHI's next step, if not successful at the State level, is to attack the local and county legislators to pass local laws "under the radar". This tact is far more dangerous to the industry as a whole. To the PA issue, perhaps Kelly, et al , DID contact other NACHI members. Why not solicit a response via e-mail targeting our membership?

I, for one, am absolutely FOR exposing the PHIC for what was attempted. Why not create a thread just for that? LEt's use it to keep the membership posted as to what is going on (like the NACHI lawsuit).

Erby's observations as to the progress of NACHI has been very positive. I am a NACHI bigot. Have been since I first joined, primarily for the earthy tone of the folks I spoke to at the time. We are the real-deal. Our members are the real deal. Nice folks. Willing to help. Knowledgable. Sometimes a bit opinionated (me too, Joe). But these are GOOD things. Our forum is open to all. Not everyone's is. And, most importantly, and despite the reputation Nick has with some folks, he has made some absolutely TREMENDOUS strides in providing information and educational materials to members. Now THAT'S something to crow about!
But, in the end, we just need to get the word out that we are not JUST a PA HI org. I know we're more than that. We need to do a much better job of projecting that image. This board is dedicated to the free and open exchange of ideas and information. Within, FREE SPEACH REIGNS! I don't think than anyone is looking to stop that freedom.

My 2cents.

Joe Farsetta

Joe F:

I am far too rough around the edges to be President of NACHI any longer. You simply must take over the front office and let me work on other things. Don't worry too much about the PACentricity of NACHI. It isn't really true. NACHI is mostly run by member input/suggestions/help and NACHI members are everywhere. NACHI local Chapters are popping up all over too. I think it an advantage that we operate mainly from cyberspace as opposed to a physical headquarters. It allows all members to have the share in NACHI they each desire.

Nick

P.S. I think all should know that unlike the small group of related-by-marriage cronies that run ASHI, Joe Farsetta and I have never met.

P.S.S. Is it free Speach or free Speech? Where's Erby?

Originally Posted By: gbell

After reading all of the comments in this thread I felt that as a member of NACHI I should put my opinion out for all to know. As has been stated the PHIC issue is a local problem. There are many members of each organization that only have the information provided by their respective organization. But rest assured anyone that is a home inspector will not rely on just one person?s opinion. We are all the type of people who are able to look at more than just one perspective and make our own opinion. While I know that everyone will never agree on all of the facts, I do believe that the facts in time will speak for themselves. I do know that for some of you this is a very personnel fight. But as has been stated here before, let the facts be known and let the people form their own opinion. It is time for the bashing to STOP; it only enables the other side to strengthen their position.

As a leader in youth sports I always tried to teach the children that if you don?t have something positive to say then keep your mouth shut. As adults we all need to step back and really think about those words. While I don?t agree with everything that ASHI does, I don?t feel that it is right for me to speak ill of them.
I voice my opinion by deciding not to join their ranks. As with everything we do in life there is good and bad, it is no different here.

I can?t help but think of what might become of NACHI if all of the energy focused on this front were to be focused towards a positive avenue. We are all part of something that has the ability to far exceed what any other organization has accomplished to this date. We need the leadership to refocus and start to work towards making us all that we can be.

Mr. President by giving any new inspector a different avenue to obtain what is needed without going through PHIC, you won the fight there. You have really accomplished everything that I believe were your goals when you started NACHI. I for one would like to thank you for this. I do believe that if PHIC had succeeded then it would have been a model that would have been used throughout the country.

The battle is over ASHI has backed down and will not impose this structure ever again. I believe this because they have left Mr. Kelly out to defend himself. He now stands alone with no support from the people who drove him to start PHIC in the first place. I think that this speaks volumes about what these people stand for.

In closing it is my belief that it is time to move on. JMHO

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Well said, Greg. Keep it positive.

As far as NAZI Brian, that is such a wrong statement. Brian provides a valuable place for exchange of ideas, free of charge, but does not allow it to become a back biting place. He allows plenty of freedom to respectfully espouse differirng ideas, but DOES NOT ALLOW backbiting comments such as

_______ You are such a stupid ****! (without the asterisks) (Sound familiar, NICK.

That's what got you booted. (In my opinion) You also got pretty annnoying about promoting NACHI "over" other organizations, instead of an "alternative" organization. You are not the only one that is no longer allowed there. Other's have been booted also for the same type of back biting and put downs, minus the association stuff.

As far as the ASHI members themselves, ask Ben how often the topic comes up on the ASHI board. It's off the national radar screen. It's a Pennsylvania thing: PHIC vs NACHI. Have you contacted the actual PHIC members versus the board of directors and asked their thoughts about what the PHIC Board is doing. I've heard that some of the ASHI guys do the RAMP thing without the exorbitant fees PHIC "suggests". Is that true? I don't know for sure and don't have the resources or inclination to find out.

NACHI is growing and gaining respect. Keep it going professionally versus the back biting and slamming, and it can't help but grow and gain more respect.
Make sure the membership is offered plent of opportunity to participate in the growth.

Where is the NACHI Board of Directors. Whose on it. This has to be more than a one man band.

Erby

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Nick,

I'm not worried about the PA centricity. It is a natural thing. I just think the time has come to really spread the message about where NACHI is today, and what we're doing. The great stuff you are working on is fantastic. I want to get that message out, without having to make folks look at the website. We need to get the SPREI info (as an example) directly to the eyes and minds of our members. So, how do we do that? I would love for guys like Erby and Al Austin to start up local chapters of NACHI. As you said, we're in cyberspace (but I will make a point to actually meet you face-to-face sometime real soon).

So, onward and upward. Reciprocal links on the SPREI, FREA, and NIBI sites would be helpful. Perhaps some links to RE avenues (like CB Concierge. I dont know. Also, NIBI is fighting NJ on the training issue. The NJ law is so unbelievably restrictive, as to only allow three schools to offer the HI course. It is very lengthy (like 10 weeks full time) and really expensive. NIBI may concentrate on continuing education stuff. We also need to help them get beyond the fact that they are the training arm of Housemaster. There are some good instructors there, who have lots of experience. Nice folks.