Need a new path to pass national exam

Hi All

I took a week long (classroom) training, then proceeded to take the national exam.
Instructor mentioned that 90 % of his students pass the national exam on the first try. Well not me… I guess I’m one of the 10%… but I doubt it. Based on my bad experience with the test, I don’t think the class covered the material very well at all.!!
Now that I joined InterNACHI, I hope to get this national test passed asap.
BTW… My son also took this classroom training, and failed the exam twice.
He is a 12 year journeyman electrician, and has had his HVAC company for several years,.
I’ll take any and all tips you can provide… I thought I’d be in the field by now.
My one month wait period is over, so I’m ready for some new and improved training.
Thanks
Tom

1 Like

www.nachi.org/education.htm

Scroll down the left column of that page.

I always wanted to be a Rocket Scientist…

I couldn’t pass the test at MIT, and Wernher *Von Braun refused to teach me how to get around that roadblock…

What have you been doing during the month waiting period?
See above links provided.

No one knows what questions will be on the test (not even people taking the test in the same room).

A *12 year journeyman electrician, and running an HVAC company for several years, a Home Inspector it does not make. But it helps…

Damn, I want to be a National home Inspector.

Never knew that license existed :slight_smile:

Memorize all the facts you can from code check books, I:E Rise and run, Tempered glass distances and requirements Roof pitch requirements, Wire gauges, Plumbing line support requirements etc.

Sounds like a code inspector test. Is that what it’s like? I never took that test, and I assume it’s closed book.

Yes it’s closed book. Here are a few sample questions. Also the test is not exactly the same nationwide. Different licensing states will have different questions.

1. Which of the following BEST describes the report statement shown below?
    “The roof is in good condition for its age.” A. Conclusion B. Recommendation C. Description D. Disclaimer
    Answer: A

2. Which of the following conditions would be LEAST critical to your client’s safety? A. A pin hole in the heat exchanger B. No handrails on an interior stairway C. Lack of a pressure and temperature relief valve on the water heater D. A non-reversing garage door opener
    Answer: A

3. It is important to maintain a positive grade away from the structure of at LEAST _______ inch drop per foot for six feet. A. 1/4 B. 1/2 C. 3/4 D. 1
    Answer: D

4. The normal MINIMUM run for a residential stair tread is: A. 7 in. B. 8 in. C. 9 in. D. 11 in.
    Answer: C

5. Standard three light electrical testers are NOT always reliable because: A. Some receptacles only have two prongs B. Three light testers sometimes have broken bulbs C. Three light testers will not detect multiple wiring problems D. Different test device manufactures have different light patterns
    Answer: C

6. Bulging plaster is observed high up on several bedroom walls. The primary concern is the bulging plaster is a(n):A. installation defect B. indication the home was very cold for a period of time C. indication the air handler leaked D. potential safety issue
    Answer: D

If you think the exam is going to have a lot of code questions… go here: https://www.nachi.org/residential-code-inspection-exam-prep.htm

Tom,

Is it a State test? I was just pulling your leg a bit.

Chris,

What test or license are you talking about?

It has seemed to me so far any State Home Inspector test was pretty close to the Nachi one but i am likely missing something.