Need Advice

Originally Posted By: Lind Adams
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as how to get started?

Thank you,

Lind Adams icon_surprised.gif

Originally Posted By: Lind Adams

Hey How come it says I am a Non Member???

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Linda,

As far as NACHI is concerned, see http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm for memebership requirements.

As far as you state/province is concerned, there are different requirements depending on where you live. If you tell us where you are then perphaps a member from that area can tell you of the local requirements.

Do you have a background in construction or related fields?

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Lind,

What state are you trying to get started in? Sharing this may help you get more specific recommendations as to which schools are available, requirements, etc. If you have any kind of construction background, this is a plus. Get your hands on all materials available. Build a library as you go. You can’t have too many sources to refer to. Get a Prestons for furnaces/ A/C identification. I also carry the Carriers Blue Book for the same purpose. The Carriers is more mobile so it goes on the road with me. Its a business that involves a never ending building of your knowledge. Reinforcing what you have learned in the past is never ending. These boards are a great way to not only learn, but also to reinforce what you may know. (Or think you know) I think one of the biggest benefits of these types of boards is you get a feel for what others are doing and what you could be doing better or need to get more work/training with. Recognize your weak areas and strengthen them. You can really gain “experience” by the information shared on this board and others. The less likely you are to have that “I dunno look” when you run into something you haven’t seen before.

One last thing. Be patient with this particular board as it has been much more helpful in the past than it has been recently. I suspect it will come back around. It seems as though the tide is rising against the nonsense that has been going on lately and we will be getting back to the sharing of inspection related information minus the "Springer" stuff.

Adam

Originally Posted By: ladams

I am in Central Florida. Yes right where the Hurricanes decided to come through! icon_biggrin.gif I have 10 years construction exp. I grew up around construction as well and then went to work for the Family business of Building homes and doing commercial jobs. So I do have knowledge but as with anything your trying to break into I am very nervous.

P.S. on my original post I do not think i was logged in or soemthing. Which is why it stated I was not a member. i think im logged in now.

If there is anyone in the near area of Pasco / Hernando County that wouldnt mind an assistant Please let me know. Just so I can gain the expierence.

Originally Posted By: Guest

Lind,

I suggest you begin by reading all the technical posts here and at other forums. There's a ton of knowledge to be had for free, offered (as a rule) by bright people.

You can obtain a tremendous scope of experience in a short time with this method. After that, you'll need to evaluate what your strengths and weaknesses are and make a plan that doesn't include weaknesses.

Ask questions; research on your own first and then clarify what you've learned.

Best of luck