Need some good opinions

I need to know if you think that this light fixture inside of a bathtub should have a cover installed on it? I got a call from a Realtor that told me that the light company rep. said it is rated for wet spaces as is. What say you? I call it out because of the screw in connection of the bulb. I thought I was using common sense…but I’ll wait to hear what everyone else says.

1477 N. Donahue Dr. Unit 601 Auburn, AL 003.jpg

Some shower rated trims are open like that. They have a built-in rubber gasket that seals around the neck of the lamp when you screw in the lamp. Google “open shower trim”. Perfectly legal. Feel free to call it out anyhow if it gives you warm fuzzies to have “discovered” something.

http://www.caprilighting.com/TechTopic/Capri/13.PDF

Doesn’t give me any fuzzies…just didn’t know. It’s always good to learn something new. I’ve only called it out about three times and just received the call from the upset realtor. I guess he spent his money on something he didn’t need. At $ 15.00 a pop, I guess I owe him some money. Thanks for the reply and knowledge.

Marc
This may one instance where the manufacturer is ahead of the NEC.
If the special lamp shipped with this product is an incandescent type lamp, then an open lens fixture does not presently meet the wording of the NEC.

If I don’t know I may recommend verifying that it is rated for wet locations for safety and let others go at it.

No, no. The lamp is not special. THe trim contains the gasket. It is listed as a shower trim. YOu can put any R lamp in it.

You can call it out if is in the shower and there is no GFCI Protection.

This would probably start another battle with the realtor since there is nothing that says the shower light must be GFI protected. Only if local codes enforce that decision.

I have never seen a shower light that required GFI protection. I have also never heard of a code that requires it.
I bet one of the more code intensive areas has something though, like Chicago for example.

**For information only:

Articles 551 and 552:

Shower Luminaires. **If a luminaire is provided over a bathtub or in a shower stall, it shall be of the enclosed and gasketed type and listed for the type of installation, and it shall be ground-fault circuit-interrupter protected.

Thanks for backing me up on that Joe. I call it out all the time!

The references above are for Recreational Vechicles and Park Trailers not for the location you describe, CYA and mention only.

Edit - Joe, thanks for the code reference. I see you posted while I was typing. I never saw that section before.
Thanks for the clarification.

That’s great if all you inspect ar RV parks and park trailers.
That’s what Art. 551 & 552 are!
That’s why I have never seen that. I have never wired a park trailer or travel trailer before. I leave that to the guys in the factories.

If you called this out in any other type of home I’d argue it without question. Using a code example for a park trailer in a regular home is reaching a bit IMO.

Calling it out as a “safety” defect is also questionable. This gets back the old “How far do you go?” question.

I think it is more of a safety issue. Same thing goes for the exhaust fan in the shower; there is no difference. Although the fans don’t like to work on the GFCI circuit.
My opinion!
Scroll down to 4.7 on this link
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:OuGeF3aK6_MJ:www.ul.com/regulators/clicks.cfm%3FID%3D22%26table%3DTechLibIndex+recessed+lighting+in+shower+location+inallation+instructions+progress&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=us

I put a lot of these lights in and progress installation instructions says it needs to be GFCI protected, that is what I am referencing when I call them out.

I agree!

Q
I had a light installed in a shower. The manufacturers literature indicates that it must have a GFCI installed. Is the GFCI required as a condition of Listing or simply something that the manufacturer wanted to add
A
UL Listed Luminaires are evaluated for compliance with the Standard for Luminaires, UL 1598. The UL Standard does not require GFCI protection for luminaires used in the shower area. If the manufacturer chooses to require GFCI protection in their installation instructions, then Section 110.3(B) of the NEC® would be applicable.

I would call it out!

Thanks Joe

Your expertise is needed and valuable to us.

I have some over the top electrical nightmare, burn the house down photos for you. Some days you just have to scratch your head and say OMG and WTF!

Pat

I would like to know why the light would need to be GFCI protected.

I thought the original intent of GFCI protection was to protect you from a shock hazard when handling an appliance connected to a receptacle at a wet location.

How would someone be at risk from a fixture mounted in the ceiling under normal circumstances?:-k

Blaine,

It’s not required, it’s simply left to the discretion of the manufacturer.

http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/PG/PG1012_s.jpg

I know it isn’t required, Dave. Some here have said they call it out if it isn’t protected. I’m trying to pick their brains.

My Bad, Blaine.

Pick away.