Exterior Shower light

Appears to close to light. I don’t like it. What’s the ruling on this ?

Did you look to see if the luminary is marked “suitable for wet locations”?

It had marking on it. It did not say suitable for wet locations. “Made in China” special.

As Larry asked the fixture would need to be suitable for wet location since it outdoors. If it’s only a damp location then it would need to be suitable for damp locations unless it’s subject to shower spray.

Does it rain in Florida?

Thanks guys, I am going to recommend replacement.

Why?

It does not appear to be subject to the shower spray and the bulb looks to be enclosed in a weather proof enclosure.

True and I agree.
Why cry wolf.

Lowes sells this style as an exterior light.

The question to be answered is how is the base sealed to the wall?
Unlike most ceiling waterproof models there is no base ring.

Think about the fixture base to junction box seal or fastening method.What is keeping water out of that wall?
No gasket means caulk is mandatory.

Not chaulked to wall. It just didn’t look right.

All wall penetrations should be sealed.
Recommend a good urethane base caulk be used to prevent water intrusion.

I would not go so far as to recommend removal of the fixture.

Fixture appears to be exterior rated.
How can you determine
that the fixture is not caulked from the photo?

No need, as the guy who posted said it’s not.

Are exterior fixtures required to be caulked in Florida?

Who cares,it would be dumb not to.Anyone here a code inspector ?:slight_smile:

Best practice certainly could not be to allow water intrusion in to the substrate.

nationally: all penetrations must be sealed with a compatible sealant as recommended by the stucco system manufacturer and required by model codes

nationally: all penetrations must be sealed with a compatible sealant as recommended by the stucco system manufacturer and required by model codes

strongly advised at all wet location penetrations through other bldg. materials also, but you knew this

So an Inspector in Illinois and Texas “Knows” that “Florida requires caulking of light fixtures” …

Wondering what Florida Inspectors know about Florida requirements…
:slight_smile:

AHJ passes them all of the time here without caulk, even on the brand new home yesterday that just got a CO. Since this is almost always stucco over cement block (never seen EIFS here) it isn’t an issue for the wall.

That looks like a standard exterior fixture that would be mounted on just about any home anywhere in this area. I would not write it up as anything of concern. I probably see that type of installation on 8 out of 10 houses here.

The darn thing might even get some condensation on it if it’s metal at various times of the year…:wink: