No trap?

Originally Posted By: mboyett
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

No trap ]

Originally Posted By: rcooke

We do a visual inspection . Write what you see.

Roy sr

I did. Now, I’d like to learn something new if there’s something to learn.

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

I agree with Roy.

The maximum length of the tailpiece (the pipes that connect the sink to the p-trap) is 24" (IRC 3201.6). That is why you generally don't see p-traps under the floor level.

Originally Posted By: dspencer

Only reason a trap is applied in a slab is when an in floor drain is in plumbing specs. All others are straight out runs.

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
Am I naive, do I need to get out more, what's your thoughts?

No, No, and Roy, Paul and Darren are on the money!

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: dmacy

Is this also lacking a vent? Shouldnt there be an air admitance valve or a vent installed?

Dave

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Michael, here’s the actual language from P3201.6.

P32201.6 Number of fixtures per trap. Each plumbig fixture shall be separately trapped by a water seal trap placed as close as possible to the fixture outlet. The vertical distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches (610 mm). Fixtures shall not be double trapped. Exceptions...(these don't apply). (my bold)

I don't see how the distance from the bottom of the sink to the weir in a slab could be less than 24" so we still need a trap. That of course would result in double-trapping because the realtor stated that the plumber discovered a trap in the slab. If you now go back and "demand" the slab be torn up and that "double" trap removed I have to wonder if it would still be there?

Question...is this a double sink, and if so shouldn't that be a sanitary tee where the two connect (and as Mr Macy asked...where's the vent?)? Or...is it a single with an AAV on top of the vertical pipe? BTW...nice disposal wiring!

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

rmoore wrote:
I have to wonder if it would still be there?
I agree, it likely would not be there would it?
Quote:
is this a double sink
Yes
Quote:
shouldn't that be a sanitary tee
I would think so.
Quote:
is it a single with an AAV on top
No, it's a double, no AAV
Quote:
BTW...nice disposal wiring
Yes, pride of workmanship is sorely lacking at times.

Additionally, this home has a unique (at least to me) sewage disposal system. Apparently, according to the plumber, all homes in this area have holding tanks w/ macerators then empty into the local municipal utility district's sewage system at the street. I did see what I thought at the time was a septic system next to the home but apparently that was just the holding tank. In other words, there is no leach field involved with the system. When time allows, I plan to contact the plumber involved and have him give me a tutorial on the system.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

rmoore wrote:

)
If you now go back and "demand" the slab be torn up and that "double" trap removed I have to wonder if it would still be there?

!

I do not demand any thing I report what I find if they fix it or not is their choice .
If it is life threatning then that is different .
I still can not and do not make any demands .

Roy sr

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Roy…It was a figure of speech, a metaphor, somewhat allegorical…I stuck the word in quotes for good reason. I think we are all well aware that as HIs, we can only make recommendations, life threatening or not.

Sheesh!

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

not to mention the sloppy workmanship all over the plumbing as well as the wiring, it screams “Harry Home Owner” and i look alot closer at the rest of the house for his handywork. icon_cool.gif

Not really, I think the builder just had a sloppy plumber. This was a 4 year old home in an upscale neighborhood.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

nice looking house. I’d at least have a closer look at the rest of the plumbing. sloppy = leaky, sometimes. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jfeig

We have a huge developement in Willingboro, NJ with the same issue on laundry waste lines. They all have a 1 inch copper stub come up from the concrete slab with no trap. There must be 5,000 homes there and I get alot of inspections. I used to write them up but then after realizing they are all that way I stopped noting it. The washer waste lines are all hose clamped to the copper pipe. I’ve been meaning to contact the local municiple building inspector and question him about the issue.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

jfeig wrote:
We have a huge developement in Willingboro, NJ with the same issue on laundry waste lines. They all have a 1 inch copper stub come up from the concrete slab with no trap. There must be 5,000 homes there and I get alot of inspections. I used to write them up but then after realizing they are all that way I stopped noting it. The washer waste lines are all hose clamped to the copper pipe. I've been meaning to contact the local municiple building inspector and question him about the issue.

Forgetting about the trap issue, that is a cross connection issue. Should have an air gap.