Notching

Originally Posted By: rpierson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

4x8 floor joist running east to west supported by piers. About 2/3 of the way the floor joists reduce to 4x6. The 4x8 was bottom notched to sit flush with the 4x6. They both had sufficient bearing. Was just wondering about the notch and structual strength.

The purpose seems to be that the 4x8 section was supporting two stories and the transition to 4x6 was for the single story portion. Common sense asks why not run the 4x8's the extra third? Hmm!

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Randy,

The big difference would be cost and how the plans to the house were drawn. If the plans call for the different dimension lumber the builder would have to use what the plans called for.

While you may think it is the contractor, that is not always the case. It may have been the architect for that house.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: roconnor

rpierson wrote:
4x8 floor joist running east to west supported by piers. About 2/3 of the way the floor joists reduce to 4x6. The 4x8 was bottom notched to sit flush with the 4x6.

Not really following. Was there 4x8 beams running pier to pier (with say 2x8 floor joists framing into this) and then a section with a 4x6 beam running pier to pier (with say 2x6 floor joists framing into this). Then at the pier where the beam sizes change the 4x8 is notched? Why not put the pier lower and shim the 4x6?

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Yeap!

Next time I will include a pic.

However, some (including me) consider end notching somewhat poor practice since it might introduce a horizontal crack in the lumber at the top of the notch over time. Leaving the pier lower, and shimming the 4x6 would be better practice in my mind.

Hope that helps ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

CLICK HERE ALSO

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Great stuff Robert!

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Ronald Reedy

Good Job Robert, great drawing icon_wink.gif

The best place to start your real estate transaction is with the home inspection

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Robert…

Where are the diagrams from?

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Richard, these frames come from the "on-line university" it has 1500 diagrams in it with a searchable database. here's the link:

http://www.nachi.org/toc-tips.htm

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"