NY Test for Licensing

Originally Posted By: jbowman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just got off the phone with an individual involved with the DOS in Albany. The following test have been approved for NY State Licensure.

NHIE
ASPRI Exam
NAHI Exam
NACHI On-line Test
NY DOS Exam

These tests are the only ones approved. In addition NY DOS has created their own test. This test has not been released yet, but is in its completion stage.

Originally Posted By: Aimee Jalowsky

Sweet, GO NACHI!!!

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

The NY State DOS is comprised of some of the very best folks I have ever had the pleasure to work with. They met with Dan Osborne and I over the past several months. Dan even got to take them on real home inspections.

At our initial meeting (which they asked for), the State exam was discussed. I was sitting next to the person who would be preparing it. I was told it would not be the NHIE, and that the State would develop its own exam. At the time, I offered NACHI's entire database of questions to the State to use as they wish, along with all validating data.

The crux of the message we got from these folks is that they wanted to aviod private agendas, along with association-specific slants or agendas. We heard them loud and clear, and abided by this most reasonable request.

I spoke with those in charge of the test two weeks ago. He told me that NACHI's on-line exam would be accepted. This is a temporary test, as are all others. They will be accepted util the State exam is finalized.

I have been asked to review the draft copy of the State's exam next week, along with Dan.

NY Inspectors are a fortunate bunch, indeed. Again, the DOS folks are very professional, listen to your concerns, and are as reasonable and helpful as they can possibly be.

Bravo to NACHI. In a State as large and litigous as NY, the fact that our on-line exam is accepted, is not big... its HUGE.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jrivera

Way to go !!! Thanks !!!

Mic

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

WOW eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Hmmmm. Looks like the office will be crowded with NACHI to review the NY DOS Exam.

I have the same appointment.

I'm taking along my laptop where I have access to the NACHI bank of 2,500 questions and a sample NHIE exam installed. Should be fun.

If anyone wants a copy of the sample NHIE exam feel free to send me a check for Ten Bucks. The NACHI Foundation will appreciate it. You will be paying for my labor, material and shipping costs only on this freely distributed CD.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Big John,

I fopund out last evening that you will be in attendance. That is a great thing for NACHI. As you know, I will not be able to physically attend, but am trying to work out an alternate means of reviewing what is being proposed.

How much better representation can you get at a meeting, with the ED of NACHI in attendance, who also happens to be a builder and inspector.

Holy Smokes...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

jbowman wrote:
I just got off the phone with an individual involved with the DOS in Albany. The following test have been approved for NY State Licensure.

NHIE
ASPRI Exam
NAHI Exam
NACHI On-line Test
NY DOS Exam

These tests are the only ones approved. In addition NY DOS has created their own test. This test has not been released yet, but is in its completion stage.

Great News!! ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: kschurman

eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

It’s great to be part of a winning team

Originally Posted By: bsmith

John-

As Nachi members we have already passed the on-line test. Will this be accepted for licensure or do we need to take it in a proctored situation? Thanks for the info.

--
Bill Smith
www.SmithHomeInspection.com
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Bill:

You take it every year. You can proctor it at your chapter meeting. Bring in laptops and have an internet connection.

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

bsmith wrote:
John-

As Nachi members we have already passed the on-line test. Will this be accepted for licensure or do we need to take it in a proctored situation? Thanks for the info.

Bill,

As far as I know the test for liscensure is a one time thing. If you look at your "Certificate of Membership" it shows that you successfully completed the NACHI exam. A copy of this certificate should suffice. I'll ask when I go up on Wednesday.

The NACHI On-Line exam was referred to specifically. Nothing, ditto, nadda was mentioned concerning proctored..

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Email fastreply@nachi.org with your name and address to get yours mailed to you ASAP. Members only of course.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

gromicko wrote:
We have letters for NY State for members who are applying for a license:

To whom it concerns:

NACHI member ****of ****, NY ***** fulfilled the following membership requirements prior to November 11, 2005:

1. Passed NACHI's Online Inspector Examination.
2. Completed NACHI's Ethics Obstacle Course.
3. Taken NACHI's Standards of Practice Quiz.
4. Submitted NACHI's Affidavit.
5. Agreed in writing to adhere to the Standards of Practice.
6. Agreed in writing to abide by the Code of Ethics.
7. Agreed to continue learning (24 hours/year) as per the Continuing Education Policy.
8. Agreed to maintain your member Online Continuing Education Log as per the Continuing Education Policy.
9. Agreed to submit 4 mock inspections to NACHI's Report Review Committee before performing a first home inspection for a client.
10. Completed or agreed to successfully complete NACHI's comprehensive online Standards of Practice course.
11. Completed or agreed to complete NACHI's comprehensive online Roofing course including all the quizzes within and pass its final exam.
12. Applied for or agreed to apply for a membership photo I.D.
13. Agreed to re-take and pass NACHI's Online Inspector Examination again every year.
14. Agreed to attend at least one chapter meeting or educational event.
15. Agreed to take NACHI?s Consumer Occupant Hazard course in 2006.

Sincerely,

Nick Gromicko
Founder

Email fastreply@nachi.org with your name and address to get yours mailed to you ASAP. Members only of course.

Is Nachi keeping all of the signed affidavits?

How will Nachi verify that members have done all that with the limited staff? Not asking to cause a brouhahhaa, but only if the state checks the paperwork.

Also, who is reviewing the mock inspections ? Is there a committe of qualified New York inspectors?

--
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Yoda (The empire Strikes Back)

Try as one might to join without signing… it won’t electronically submit to us… we at staff don’t get the application and can’t see it until the affidavit is signed…

Here, try to apply without signing the affidavit... https://www.nachi.org/application.php

Impossible.

This is nothing new... this electronic affidavit system has been part of our application process and in place at NACHI for many years. NAHI's lying BOD which tried to claim that NACHI's size was due to us adding members who didn't join is as I said... lying. (Note: for those of you unfamiliar with NAHI, they are a scumbag do-nothing organization which permits the bribing of REALTORs, permits their members to work to correct defects they find on inspections, and has a sleazy Board of Directors that sends statements around denying the existence of publicly filed Civil Justice complaints).

Faxed in or mailed in applications are no different.

And Alicia in membership does not produce a membership certificate until she has the signed affidavit on file. We keep a paper affidavit of EVERY NACHI member that EVER joined at our Valley Forge office, and have for many years. We have over 20 file cabinets containing thousands and thousands of member files. We have every passing exam, every application, every affidavit, etc. ever received.

Furthermore... we even have EVERY envelope ever sent to us!!! We keep every envelope because envelopes are postmarked and act as proof that we received something back when. Everything a member ever sent NACHI along with the post-marked envelope (which generally shows the place of origin and the date mailed) is kept meticulously on file by Alicia in Valley Forge. You or any member could ask for the post-marked envelope that you used to send in your renewal form in 1999 and I could produce your old envelope. Amazing huh?

As for mock inspection reports... the 4 that only the newbies have to do before they work for actual clients... I see every one of them and offer comments for improvement if I can. I have help from a couple local veteran inspectors too and we find it enjoyable as we see various reporting systems. Staff (mostly Lisa) checks them against SOP, and stamps most with a "Substantially complies with NACHI's Standards of Practice" stamp, and returns them. We never leave a mock report unreviewed for more than a week as we meet once a week. Most applicants these days are existing inspectors and so exempt from the 4 mock requirement, so there are not that many mock sets that come in for review. And of the few novice applicants we get these days, nearly all are using canned software or commercially purchased reporting forms which already comply with NACHI's SOP and therefore help keep the mock reports in line with it from the get go.

Of those roughly half send in their mocks using 4 different reporting systems. It seems that our mock review service is used by some inspectors trying out various reporting software and reporting forms to see which ones they like.

We also get a few mocks from veteran inspectors looking for our opinion. Some of these are the worst in terms of SOP adherence as they created their own reporting systems before reporting software was commercially available for purchase and their reports have, over the years, veered substantially from SOP. This is what lead us to creating our free online http://www.nachi.org/sopquiz.htm to help them stop under-inspecting or over-inspecting. The http://www.nachi.org/sopquiz.htm worked and helped us teach a lot of old dogs new tricks.

Like the affidavit, we've been doing all this for some time at NACHI. Nothing new.

And last year, with the help of fellow member Joel Doherty, we automated our photo member I.D. system wich includes a magnetic strip for the future purpose of recording CE attendance http://www.nachi.org/sampleid.htm

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

By the way, saving every post marked envelope we ever received has been very helpful to a couple members. One who was operating as a sole proprietor (not incorporated and not saving his records) and who needed to prove he had been in business a certain period of time to apply for appointment to a licensing board (obviously if NACHI had post marked envelopes from him to a home inspection association back when, he was a home inspector back when) and the other to show an inspector had been a NACHI member in PA (NACHI membership is required by law in PA) at the time he did a certain inspection.

It was fun for me to inform my members that I had the proof they needed on file, when they needed it.

Yes, some get a thrill from flying or sailing or beautiful women... I get my thrills by being able to produce a 5 year old post marked envelope ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) .

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

Topic Title: Home inspection programs in New York.

Reply Made By: jmahr

Topic URL: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?p=181549#181549

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=16570

Formal complaint filed against NACHI member Mr. Mahr for incorrect statements made and his web site not being changed to reflect correct information. NACHI members may be fooled into believing his courses are NYS, Dept. of State approved, which they are not as of Thursday at close of business.

NY State, Dept. of State approved program, not simply a school name to run whatever courses it wants. Mr. Mahr does not explain this fact the anyone- it would not help his cause!

Originally Posted By: ahalstead

I spoke with Jody today at the DOS regarding licensure and testing. Seems like 20 years of construction management doesn’t mean a thing. If you don’t have your 100 inspections (I only have 30) you can not take the test for licensing without the 100 hour course and the 40 hour field time.

I can’t tell you how many architects I have educated, how many engineers I have proven wrong. Yet, it looks like NY is going to pull a substantial part of my my income source unless someone comes up with an approved course (cheap I hope!!) in Upstate NY.

She was very sympathetic, but could not offer me much help at this time …

2nd time this year the state has pulled big $$$ out of my pocket ..

just venting ... hopefully something good comes up in the next few days

thanks for letting me vent ..
allen

--
Allen J. Halstead

Tri-County Home Inspections
Ghent, NY

"...for your peace of mind..."

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

Pending NY Approval the 100 hour program is 1000 and with the additional 40 hours of supervised inspections the fee retail is 1995, but for NACHI members it is under 1400- actually 1395.

All pending approval- I am hoping to be the first approved by the DOS- Check out our links and you will be able to navigate through the system-
www.merrellinstitute.com and go to the Home Inspection link and then to the 140 hour program

Hope this helps- it will be done in under 4 weeks for the 100 hours and we may be able to incorporate supervised home inspections during the day throughout these 4 weeks-

questions- e-mail me at bcm@doctor.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

gromicko wrote:
Ben,

Affidavits are automated. It is technically impossible for someone to join without FIRST filling out and electronically signing our affidavit. Try as one might to join without signing... it won't electronically submit to us.... we at staff don't get the application and can't see it until the affidavit is signed...

Here, try to apply without signing the affidavit... https://www.nachi.org/application.php

Impossible.

This is nothing new... this electronic affidavit system has been part of our application process and in place at NACHI for many years. NAHI's lying BOD which tried to claim that NACHI's size was due to us adding members who didn't join is as I said... lying. (Note: for those of you unfamiliar with NAHI, they are a scumbag do-nothing organization which permits the bribing of REALTORs, permits their members to work to correct defects they find on inspections, and has a sleazy Board of Directors that sends statements around denying the existence of publicly filed Civil Justice complaints).

Faxed in or mailed in applications are no different.

And Alicia in membership does not produce a membership certificate until she has the signed affidavit on file. We keep a paper affidavit of EVERY NACHI member that EVER joined at our Valley Forge office, and have for many years. We have over 20 file cabinets containing thousands and thousands of member files. We have every passing exam, every application, every affidavit, etc. ever received.

Furthermore... we even have EVERY envelope ever sent to us!!! We keep every envelope because envelopes are postmarked and act as proof that we received something back when. Everything a member ever sent NACHI along with the post-marked envelope (which generally shows the place of origin and the date mailed) is kept meticulously on file by Alicia in Valley Forge. You or any member could ask for the post-marked envelope that you used to send in your renewal form in 1999 and I could produce your old envelope. Amazing huh?

As for mock inspection reports... the 4 that only the newbies have to do before they work for actual clients... I see every one of them and offer comments for improvement if I can. I have help from a couple local veteran inspectors too and we find it enjoyable as we see various reporting systems. Staff (mostly Lisa) checks them against SOP, and stamps most with a "Substantially complies with NACHI's Standards of Practice" stamp, and returns them. We never leave a mock report unreviewed for more than a week as we meet once a week. Most applicants these days are existing inspectors and so exempt from the 4 mock requirement, so there are not that many mock sets that come in for review. And of the few novice applicants we get these days, nearly all are using canned software or commercially purchased reporting forms which already comply with NACHI's SOP and therefore help keep the mock reports in line with it from the get go.

Of those roughly half send in their mocks using 4 different reporting systems. It seems that our mock review service is used by some inspectors trying out various reporting software and reporting forms to see which ones they like.

We also get a few mocks from veteran inspectors looking for our opinion. Some of these are the worst in terms of SOP adherence as they created their own reporting systems before reporting software was commercially available for purchase and their reports have, over the years, veered substantially from SOP. This is what lead us to creating our free online http://www.nachi.org/sopquiz.htm to help them stop under-inspecting or over-inspecting. The http://www.nachi.org/sopquiz.htm worked and helped us teach a lot of old dogs new tricks.

Like the affidavit, we've been doing all this for some time at NACHI. Nothing new.

And last year, with the help of fellow member Joel Doherty, we automated our photo member I.D. system wich includes a magnetic strip for the future purpose of recording CE attendance http://www.nachi.org/sampleid.htm

Good deal, sounds like it is all covered.

--
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Yoda (The empire Strikes Back)