Old timers just kicked in! HELP

What is this red outlined section of roof called?

Hi. Barry;

To be honest with you, I don’t know, all I know is that I would never have let myself build something like that to begin with.

I would imagine one would or could call it a cricket diverter, but I don’t think that will help the rain rush on to the siding that is on tight to the roof and rain water infiltrateing under the low lying shingles on the cricket.

Good luck.

How did you call it if you don’t mind my asking?

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:


Cricket or saddle…I have heard both terms used.

If you didn’t like that you won’t like this and I’m working on my description as we speak. I’ll be back! I think the Archie-me-tech or roof framer blew this install on both sides.

Thanks to everyone but cricket and saddle are not correct IMHO.

Integrated triangular shed POS roof

I would call it a roof wall and to make sure it is well flashed as they are prone to leak.
Not the best way to do construction .
Roy Cooke


Barry, whenever run-off is not direct, and has to change directions to leave a roof, I describe it as a “design-flaw.” Sometimes, design-flaws cannot be avoided, but I always inform my clients about them and warn them that they need to be kept clean and monitored.

[FONT=Verdana]Here’s what I came up with for now.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Atypical framing design flaw techniques may cause dam conditions and have the potential to drive water runoff under the flashings and shingles. These areas are potential impact points for moisture intrusion. I was unable to access both of these areas of the attic to fully investigate for previous or present moisture intrusion. Consult a roof framing contractor for remedies[/FONT]

Keep them coming I’d like to have numerous sources to rely upon and the humorous ones are getting closer to my thought processes

No special term I’m aware of.

FWIW if I were reporting that - assuming that no evidence of leaking was detected - I would do it as FYI or Watch List item and would say something like:

“At (location) the roof design directs water from higher portions of the roof onto a lower slope-area alongside a wall (see picture). This is a poor design as water running down the roof will be directed with considerable force against the wall, and will then run alongside the wall where it meets the roof.

Even under ideal conditions it is difficult to properly seal the point where a wall meets a roof against water leaks, and in my opinion due to the design of this roof there is substantially increased risk that water will enter the house at this location. If this happens water will damage building materials, possibly including structural portions of the building, the exterior siding, the materials beneath the shingles, interior finished surfaces such as ceilings and walls, and other areas. Substantial damage might occur before it was detected.

I inspected this area from inside and outside the house at (locations) for the presence of moisture or moisture-related damage. At the time of inspection I did not find evidence of excessive moisture or moisture related damage, however I was not able to completely inspect (locations) for inspection because (reasons), and if damage is present in these areas it could have gone undetected.

The cost of the changes needed to prevent such damage or repairing it if it occurred could be a substantial expense. I recommend that you carefully watch at (locations) for any evidence of such damage, and that any evidence of increased moisture in this area be immediately investigated. If you wish to determine the cost of modifying the roof and/or wall to lessen the likelihood of such damage, I recommend that you obtain a quote for proposed improvements to these areas from one or more licensed and insured contractors also holding a state roofer’s license.”

The picture(s) would include arrows indicating where I expected water would flow on the roof, and a cross section of a typical roof-wall junction illustrating were I would expect water might penetrate, the latter clearly labeled as an example of how such a junction is often constructed. (Assuming that is, that I had not been able to determine how that was actually flashed.)

Verbally, I would be quite explicit about how poor a design that was, and that I felt it was likely going to be one of the first, if not the very first, place on the roof to start leaking, and that when it did it could do a whole lot of damage before detection.

… just my .02 worth.

What a screwed up design! Somehow, I doubt that a reputable architect was involved in that.

You comment looks great, but I would edit it to read “flashing, shingles, and exterior wall cladding”

that second pick is the frosting on the cake.

Let us raindrops and snow take a dive into this valley, whoaaaaaaaaaaa, I’m going under that cut valley, O K I’m going under the siding, see you inside. ha. ha. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice Barry

Low sloped roof diverter, high piont leak potential. Installed by amateur builder. Or is that immature builder?

It looks like a roof valley that is poorly constructed and is improperly directed at the siding that wiil eventually leak if there is flashing problem.

A cricket or saddle is a small gable roof that is typically installed for chimneys that are over 30 inches wide.

i like funnel

A big headache in the making,
draughtsman doodling that made it big time,
water prone catchment slope, or
very poor roof design.

Barry…that is, what is known in todays terminology, as a “royal f**k-up”, plain and simple. Not real professional…but everyone knows what it means.:smiley: (agreed, not a cricket and I don’t think there is a name for that particular screw-up other than the one I mentioned earlier.)

Jeeese Barry you are just not with it, that is an “Architectural Enhancement”.:smiley:

Sub par roof design, improper placement of valley