Open A Coil In Manufactured Home

This is only my second manufactured home inspection. This furnace has a bottom cover and a top cover with louvers. No screws or knobs or anything just slide in. The A coil is completely open. The breaker shut off is exposed without any panel covering. There is an air duct above the A coil with a bag on it. I didn’t see any return air vent in the home unless blocked by belongings. What the heck is this? Thoughts.

Also there was no button that would shut off the blower when the bottom panel was open. As for the panel with louvers/grills, I don’t know if that was meant to be a filter or not. The whole thing was strange to me.

Ive seen one similar to that. In my situation there were actually 2 units (kind of).

The buyer had requested a gas unit instead. But I believe the electrical unit was already mostly installed so it was moved as is with the package unit installed onsite.

So there was 1 1/2 units. The package gas unit and an inside unit without condenser that was non functional. There were also 2 thermostats but only one actually did anything.

1 Like

It is old and in poor condition I would recommend seeking replacement cost estimates from a qualified HVAC contractor…

3 Likes

Read this old thread…

2 Likes

Same as what Jim said. I’ve come across a few and recommend replacement.

1 Like

Ditto what Jim said,

2 Likes

Thanks everybody. I hate manufactured homes.

1 Like

Charge more for them Chris you have a lot of work on the foundation to report on as well.

3 Likes

What are these?

1 Like

Tbh I think an air freshener. Though usually plugged in :rofl:

2 Likes

Ha! I think you’re right :sneezing_face:

1 Like

This is a down draft furnace. The covered duct is a return or fresh air duct that was elected to not be used.

Nothing you need to be concerned with. Just check if it runs. These things are a mess even on a good day.

Thanks. All I did was mention the rust. The AC had heavy fin damage outside so I recommended a heating contractor. I didn’t test it was about 50 degrees out. I dont test under 60

1 Like

Yep, I had one of those last week.

1 Like