Outlet under hose bib

This outlet was found under a hose bib. It is on a gfci circuit and is protected with an exterior weatherproof cover plate. Should this be reported or is it okay?


I might recommend upgrading the cover, but there’s nothing “code” wise that disallows this.

1 Like

It is a wet location outlet. Wet is wet.
I am still confused why people worry about these receptacles and don’t question one in the kitchen next to the sink sprayer or next to the hose bibs in the laundry.

In looking at the picture, I would also recommend removing the pressure gauge before trying to use the hose bib. :margarit:

I’ve always wondered that myself and have found no good answer.

As an aside (thread drift), another perplexity is why we get all upset about a hairline crack in a foundation, but we have no problem with the HVAC guys coming in and simply destroying 36" of foundation so they can take their air duct through there.

1 Like

Not much different the all other out side plugs . The get wet when it rains .
Roy Cooke

We’re fortunate here in that even when it “rains,” quite often nothing gets wet.

However, we have several different kinds of outside plugs here:
1 - GFCI
2 - GFCI-protected
3 - GFCI and weatherproofed
4 - GFCI-protected and weatherproofed
5 - 2-prong
6 - 2-prong and weatherproofed
7 - 3-prong non-GFCI
8 - 3-prong non-GFCI-protected
9 - 3-prong non-GFCI and weatherproofed
10 - 3-prong non-GFCI protected and weatherproofed

Then we also have three types of weatherproofing that I’ve found:

1 - protected by a tent of aluminum foil (sure wish I could find that picture right now)
2 - protected by flaps like that in the picture
3 - protected by bubble

Not all of them get wet. I’ve found that the tent of aluminum foil is the most effective. :slight_smile:

I think most do greg which is why the questions always get asked…should the HI recommend GFCI on the kitchen countertop even if it was done before code demanded it…well…SURE they should as it is a safety enhancement…

So I think quite possibly most do this and suggest it…we hope anyway !

Alas I think when you mean “why people” you are refering to the homeowner maybe…they focus so much on outside recepts being protected and do not think about the real risk in front of their nose…

Thank GOD…for the HI to step in and set the freakin homeowner straight…:slight_smile:

Is there a GFCI available for split recepticals ?
Not being smart just never seen one .

Actually…they do make a GFCI Receptacle and SWITCH combo…One side a switch to a light and the other side the GFCI…seen one the other day.

I’d like to know that as well. I have split receptacles in my kitchen. I could install GFCIs in the panel I suppose.

If it shares the Neutral…not…if your question is do they make a GFCI that can be split…I dont think so in that method because it would share a Neutral…if it was truly trying to be a split receptacle…

now if you have a totally ind. circuit for each…then I dont know…I will see if I can find one that is made…but probably the best bet would be just buy (2) GFCI Breakers for your panel and do both that way…that way their is no need for you to mess with the receptacles…

What say you

What Jeff said 16 years ago…in bold above. :man_shrugging:


It’s not my inspection. What did you say?

1 Like

I say it’s a risk because these are too close together causing a hose to damage/loosen this cover over time.


I bring this up, because the example photos from before were not almost touching. Thanks for your thoughts.



That setup makes it easy to test the GFCI…just stick your hand under the water while holding a metal probe in the hot side of the recep. I’m curious, did you recommend an electrician relocate the receptacle or recommend a plumber relocate the hose bib?

1 Like

I recommended one of them be moved. Left it up to the builder.

1 Like

This works good:

Yes. I have one at home and replaced it three times in 4 years before buying one of the those RV attachments that directs it away from the receptacle. No issues since.