Owner says "Under Maint. Contract for the last 3 yrs!

Originally Posted By: psabados
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P9070028_Medium.JPG ]

Of course recommended a second opinion on the condition, but be prepared for replacement. Listing agent just didn't understand why the furnace is bad after all it had been serviced. She also said that the owner fixed the falling gutters, bolted the deck and the dishwasher was functioning. Not! BTW, the homeowner listed in the disclosure statement and under conditions of the sale, that he would not pay more than $250.00 in total repairs. Hmm, hope he's not planning on using that furnace this winter. Cough, cough, wheeze, why does my head hurt and my skin turning pink? ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

I did shut the gas off at the valve and left the owner a note in regards to the furnace operating in an unsafe manner.

Paul

--
NACHI Vice President

NACHI Foundation, President

Convention Coordinator

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’ve taken pics of burners before…I can never depict what I’m trying to capture. What are we supposed to be seeing?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: psabados

Kevin

A uniform flame pattern. Flame not floating over the burner with a possible front to back movement. Flame not being sucked under the burner elements.

This pics was taken while the blower was operating, no flames jetting to the top. The picture I shot before the blower engaged was blurry do to movement of the camera. That picture showed the flame actually leaving the heating chamber area through the front under the burner. Somewhere under the burner there is a hole or crack in the chamber.

Paul

--
NACHI Vice President

NACHI Foundation, President

Convention Coordinator

Originally Posted By: Gary Reecher

Flames floating below the burner(s) indicates a draft problem in that chamber. Either caused by a cracked in the heat exchanger allowing air from the circulator blower into the chamber or the passage in the heat exchanger for that chambern is restricted from soot in the chamber or some other restriction.

Good catch.

--
Gary Reecher, CM
HVAC Service Technician

MechAcc's Carbon Monoxide Site Links