PB Piping or other?

This piping had the color of PB but was not labeled as such. Does this appear to be pb or another plastic? home 100 years old mostly was copper/galvanized supply

those appear to be 3/8" pb supply lines, not the same issues as 1/2 pb pipe and fittings…

2 Likes

I agree, they look like standard supply lines you would see on a toilet or faucet.
Looks like there is an S-Trap though

1 Like

Always a good learning tool.
https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/PB_Piping.php

1 Like

Can you explain more? I have never heard of any PB not having issues.

Those are factory supply lines.
That whole thing is FUBAR.

2 Likes

Chris those supply lines are still readily available and widely used. While I was never a fan of them myself cheap is cheap and cheap sells…

1 Like

Not James, but not all PB has had issues. I’ve inspected many homes with original PB for 35 years plus with no problems ever. Although I do make note of it, I don’t call it as a “defect” unless I see one. I do note it and inform of previous issues or repairs that i could see. Never do I call for replacement just because it’s PB, but any concerns should be further evaluated.

2 Likes

So just generic plastic I assume?

still made out of pb Chris

1 Like

Because it’s grey? :thinking:

Thanks I’ve read some of the same online today. I hate being instructed to always do this and find out things are not always “wrong” later on.

May not be Polybutylene, could be Polyethylene
BrassCraft 3/8 in. O.D. x 20 in. PEX Toilet Riser with Plastic Compression Sleeve P1-20DL F (homedepot.com)

3 Likes

Don’t confuse polyethylene with PEX (cross linked polyethylene).The link you provided is PEX piping.

That’s what I was thinking. I found some pipes that looked similar and said PE. Most PB has pb written on it that I’ve seen. Although I know that things are not always labeled.

1 Like

pex is a type of pe

What is the main difference? It stands for Cross-linked Polyethylene, (whatever that means) :slight_smile:
Cross-linked polyethylene - Wikipedia

1 Like

Polyethylene pipe and cross-linked polyethylene are two very different animals.

1 Like

I’m not a chemist so I don’t know the details lol.

1 Like

Very different piping materials. Go to the big box store and look at the irrigation piping it’s black and comes in a roll that’s most likely polyethylene.

1 Like