Pipe in crawlspace main beam

It’s always something new. Today’s inspection in the crawlspace revealed that the water heater drain pan (in the attic) drains through a pvc pipe to the crawlspace. However, the pipe splits the main beam in the crawlspace. I understand the concepts of notching, and holes, but what about this? The pipe splits the main beam that runs from one side of the house to the other. Simple house, 1,300 sq ft, crawlspace on masonry piers, one beam running through the middle from left to right, or right to left depending on your perspective. My thinking is with three 2xs making up the beam, it shouldn’t be an issue. But, I don’t know, so I ask. Is this a point of concern?

IMG_7621

Plus, two water lines. We’ll see what they say.

I’m sure the architect/engineer that designed this building and chose this size of beam didn’t take into account that the plumber will drill through the beams like that. I would write it up as a structural defect. They can easily fix it with installation of another post under the cut.

1 Like

Btw, the WH drain pan should not discharge to the crawlspace. That plumber must have been the lowest bidder by far

1 Like

Are you sure that’s the main beam?

Hey Chris, I’m pretty sure it is. It’s the only beam in the crawlspace, it runs down the middle of the house on top of CMU piers, all the floor joists connect to it from the perimeter walls, and there are no other beams present. Now, I’ll be the first to admit my non-construction background, and will readily stand corrected if need be, but it is my opinion that its the main beam. Is there something else I should look for that would help to discern whether it’s the/a main beam or not?

1 Like

It is the main carrying beam.

That is a typical construction method 3 2x12s and a ledger instead of joist hangers. And the ledger was properly nailed.