Please join me in welcoming industry leader Dale Duffy to our family of CMIs.

Thank you, Nick.

I don’t inspect many residential homes myself any longer, but I’ll add the designation to my websites using the URL’s to find my sites, I’m not sure if they’re on page one or twenty.

And of course I’ll try to help anyone who would like to take their business to the next level, offering commercial inspections.

I’m going to make a page on my websites explaining what CMI is, and keep track of the clicks I get on that page.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a prosperous year ahead.

Ain’t gonna happen.

Well I won’t be holding my breath for you,Charley or Stephen.

Now we need a CMCI!
"Certified Master Commercial Inspector" My Trademark! :cool:

Glad to see the knowledge base of the CMI program improving.
Way too many “silly” questions coming forth from the CMI ranks for my liking.
Need some real credibility to the program and Dale is one to do it.
Congrats!

Does CMI have their own private message board?
CMI’s should know where to find answers, not just ask them here.
This board is great for the new guys, but when you get to CMI, I would think your proficiency would be greater than this.

I joined CMI (is it a logo, profession, association, membership, club) sorry don’t know what appropriate word comes after ‘‘CMI’’. It was a few months ago. I could’ve joined several years ago as I have 5x the minimum requirements.

I joined for 2 primary reasons

1. Nick has tried to push CMI very,very hard for a very, very long time. That means he has something planned up his sleeve or the program is here to say.

2. One time reasonable fee. If the program only goes up from here I’m in and can use the magic logo creator on all my sites. If I paid a web developer and graphics person to create the logo and marketing material available to me it would’ve cost the same amount I paid. Plus its maintained for free or no fee moving forward now.

Its like anything else I’ve done in this business. It you see value in it go for it. If it makes sense for your business model do it.

CMI is a marketing gimmick and, to my recollection, has never been declared by Nick to be anything but.

It’s not designed to impress other inspectors … but to impress potential clients and it obviously works.

No matter what the price is to acquire it … it is one marketing gimmick that — *unlike some marketing gimmicks *— does not require “confidential” agreements with unscrupulous vendors or ambiguous language slipped in to an inspection agreement to waive a clients rights to privacy protection, and it is purchased with money instead of private home buyer information from unknowing clients.

One can be a CMI with much more honor and pride than one can push off other marketing gimmicks, IMO.

Wrong. CMI is certainly no gimmick. A mood ring is a “gimmick.” A chance to win a trip to Hawaii if you listen to our sales pitch is a “gimmick.” Buy 2 get the 3rd for 1/2 off is a “gimmick.”

CMI is the inspection industry’s highest professional designation and professional designations are used by members of any profession for marketing purposes. If your accountant is a CPA… I suspect he uses his CPA designation for marketing purposes.

Correct.

I stand corrected.

“Gimmick” is an adjective reserved for worthless warranties and other things lacking real value used to dupe people.

I’m not a big fan of warranties. They are “nearly worthless” because they cost nearly nothing. They are a victim of the laws of physics.

The shot heard around the world. :mrgreen:

Whats the average 90 day warranty going for again ?

Dale is keeping track of how well CMI does in marketing his services. Dale is certainly a successful home inspector already.

Do you survey or keep any type of records concerning the amount of money that home inspectors make, in general, or CMI’s, in particular, as a result of their affiliation with NACHI or their designation as CMIs?

I don’t know what warranties cost. There are different vendors offering different warranties. I’m not a big fan for several reasons: One is, as I’ve explained, they don’t actually cover much. Another is that many times the client is disappointed with the coverage. And another is that it brings up something to potential clients that I don’t want them to even consider as a possibility… that I’ll screw up and so I need a warranty to cover my errors.

I’m all about positive in my marketing.

James,

Bottom line:

There are only several millionaires or multi millionaires that participate on the MB, I would venture to say none are home inspectors. Only ones are the owners of this organization and some vendors. That should tell you a lot.

Your average home inspector makes what 50k? Above average 75-100k. Several of us make over 100k. CMI will make no more or less if you average it out. ASHI, ICC, NACHI, CMI or any designation will no doubt give you some return on your investment but none will make you a millionaire. You will make some of these companies, owners and vendors and already have made them millionaires.

Go figure.

I’ve finally got a good plan though. And for me, I’m entering my peak earning years…

I understand, Ray, and I don’t disagree.

It’s just that Nick is being quoted as to having confided to someone by private email that “Nearly all of InterNACHI’s most successful members utilize RecallChek”.

Now, my first point of curiosity has to do with why “nearly all of InterNACHI’s most successful members” were not CMIs. That seems odd, to me.

My second question would be as to how Nick is tracking the production numbers of individual home inspectors to know this. I have never known of anyone from NACHI collecting or compiling the raw data to make such a claim.

Just wondering why anyone would pay to be a CMI when all it took was handing out free Recallcheks to people to become a “most successful member”.

What’s up with this, Nick?:wink:

welcome aboard Dale!

Hi Dale,

Thank you for joining CMI you hold a special place in the hall of inspection professionalism and are well respected by your peers, beyond that I know that you go the extra mile to treat your clients privacy as if it were your own.

Personally I am relieved you are here because not so long ago it appeared that there were forces attempting to encumber the CMI program with third party vendor products which have the ability to both tarnish the program and cause division within the membership.

Good luck to you my friend now and in the future and I am here if there is anything I can do for you.

Joe.

Congrats on you’re new logo Dale.

I’ve had mine since 2006 & IMO the CMI logo is an excellent marketing tool and another feather in the cap, and every feather counts. I just ordered my new bus cards which now incorporate the new CMI logo.

Nick,

Great job on the new CMI logo & the revamped website. They both look very professional.

Welcome to the CMI club Dale. Now you can get pointers from Kevin. :);):mrgreen:

Kevin? :neutral:

Please clarify Marcel. :wink: