Why CMI?

Hey folks,

I am seriously thinking of going CMI before the price increase, but am still unsure what to do. Bottom line, i need to convince my boss why he needs to spend $350 for me to become CMI. There is currently nobody in Nova Scotia that is CMI, and i believe i would be the first, but what is it really going to do for me? How will it give me more inspections if nobody in the province has heard about it? Maybe I am missing something, but i am having a hard time convincing the boss. Can anyone provide me with some valid success stories in Canada? Thought? Comments? Thanks.

If I were you…I would show my boss the list of certifications that you presently have under your name (that he presumably paid for) and tell him that every one of them can be obtained by anyone prior to starting a business…but a CMI designation is what sets one apart from the newby with the price tag still hanging from his flashlight…for one must prove three years in business as the first step, along with others, to achieve the designation.

It is not designed to get you more business. That is where your marketing of yourself and your expertise comes in to play. Instead, it is designed to justify, to those who are considering hiring you, why your fees are higher than a less experienced and knowledgable competitor who has acquired the same long list of certifications under his name.

Think of it this way…ASHI branding advertising is designed to send everyone seeking a home inspector to its members. But when I get there, I find an ASHI guy charging $125 for an inspection and another charging $400 for an inspection. Is it not reasonable for me…without any other way of telling them apart…to go with the cheapest guy, assuming that all ASHI members are equal in skill and competence? Likewise, in a licensed state where all inspectors have met the same minimum standards (paying a fee and passing a test)…and one guy will do an inspection, babysit my kids and wash my car for $89 and another guy will only do an inspection, but wants $350…why not pick the babysitter?

CMI is a tool that consumers can use to help them see what they are paying for.

Real estate agents were slowly turning inspections into a commodity and creating the false belief that inspections should be shopped for like mortgages by comparing rates only.

CMI is the missile that destroys this belief… almost instantly. In three words, the consumer’s thinking is corrected and he/she is reminded that there might be something to consider other than lowest price.

Rodney,

As CMI is a marketing designation only, you would need to convince your boss to spend $350/$1000 in marketing you!

Note: there have been many discussions in the last couple of weeks, attempting to get the answer you seek. Look through some threads, and see the answers given, and just as importantly, not given.

Jeff

Challenge your boss to reveal where in the world he could invest $375 into his inspection company, that would produce a better ROI. If any inspection company owner is going to invest $375 into their business this year (and I sure hope I’m describing EVERY inspection business owner), CMI is the place to put it.

NICK please Shhhhhhhhh why spoil a ggod thing ,

Lets just keep it to our selves

CMI allows inspectors to set themselves apart from the competition within a couple seconds. Once the consumer finds a CMI, there is nothing else to look at.

Beyond the hyperbole of the post immediately preceding this one (#7)…since we all know that one can be a total putz and still be a CMI, Senator of a major populated state, dog breeder, or world leader…it is still a means of setting oneself apart and commanding a higher fee.

If your boss wants to charge more for your services…or provide strength to his justification for the current fee…this designation helps.

If you notice the posts from CMI’s, there is a big difference in knowledge, understanding and care and that is why we charge more,deserve more and have more.:slight_smile:

Your boss cannot make a $375 decision on marketing? Maybe the wrong person is the boss.

Consider doing inspections on your own. This type of mentality will only lead down the wring path. Its only $375 for the next two weeks. Its not if he can afford it, it weather he can afford NOT TO.

Is this your view of our current president? :wink:

Care to explain the CMI’s who ask silly questions about temporary roof bracing that is actually ridge and hip bracing intended to be there and most likely dictated on the plans?

I see dumber questions out of some of the CMI’s than anyone else.

George can you also show some of these Dumb questions .

Can some one show me this post .

I tend to think there are usually three sides to all stories and seeing this would help me to see what was said . Thanks … Roy

If you think CMIs got answers to all questions, than you will never be happy with any CMI. CMIs know to become better at their profession, they have to ask questions. Their is no such thing as a dumb question.

I agree with you.

In my opinion, many of the questions that are asked result from an observation of a defect that was left behind by a contractor who undoubtedly “knows everything”.

Amazingly, when some of these very same contractors can no longer make a living at their trade…they become home inspectors who “know everything”.

A miracle of nature, I presume.

Not only do ConSpectors “know everything” they are now bestowed as if by magic with superpowers to ethically perform repairs on the work they originally f ucked up… Some here in Florida are even known to walk on water, ask Nick. :wink:

There are never dumb questions; only dumb answers. After becoming a CMI over two years ago, I thought it would help my business. It is down over 50% in those two years. I know the economy is hurting, but homes are still selling here in KC. I really believe that most RE’s will not suggest me, due to the fact that I will do a great job, which is what most RE’s do not want, as that great job and thoroughness may cause the buyer to walk away from the deal.

So, RE’s here suggest the $199 special inspectors, instead of the more professional veteran CMI inspectors, who will charge double that fee. This will continue, until major lawsuits erupt.

Dumb questions was indeed a poor choice of words on my part.
Roy I’m looking for examples but most posts I’m thinking of were awhile back and I can’t even remember what thread or section they were posted in. My point is only that it’s a set of letters and not much more at this point.

With everyone in Florida obtaining a home inspector’s license coupled with the housing depression, I expect the price for a home inspection to break $100 before it is all over. In the mean time I have already figured that over the next two years I will have to work more for less income. To stay in business you may have to figure a way to do more inspections for $198 or less.

By awarding the Continuing Education/experience-based Certified Master Inspector® professional designation, the Master Inspector Certification Board, Inc. supports the inspection industry’s advanced education providers and encourages experienced inspectors to maintain excellence.

CMI®
Certified Master Inspector
Put CMI Behind your name. You can bet that you competition will. The new Certified Master Inspector designation is the one that everyone will be looking for in the very near future. CMI raises the bar for the entire home inspection industry.

http://inspectorslife.com/images/cmi1-115.jpg

](http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/)When looking for Certified Master Inspector training, look for the CMI Approved School emblem. Only courses taken at a CMI approved school can be applied toward CMI certification educational requirements.

Certified Master Inspector[FONT=Arial]® is not a membership level. Certified Master Inspector® is a professional designation available to all inspectors who wish to attain it.[/FONT]

Mission:

By awarding the continuing education-based Certified Master Inspector® professional designation, the Master Inspector Certification Board, Inc. supports the inspection industry’s advanced education providers and encourages inspectors to maintain excellence through education.* Certified Master Inspectors[FONT=Arial]®[/FONT] , the very best of the best.*

The Master Inspector Certification Board, Inc. is a non-profit, tax exempt organization dedicated to promoting excellence in the inspection industry. The Board holds the registered Trademark Certified Master Inspector® (CMI), the inspection industry’s top professional designation, and awards it to those inspectors

http://inspectorslife.com/images/cmiapprovedschoolseal-115.jpg

](http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/)

:):smiley: