Pre-Cast Concrete stud basement walls

I passed what I thought was this about 10 years ago but couldn’t stop to get pictures and investigate.

Then my niece and her husband bought a house with this system and I took some pictures.

The pre-cast panels appear to come in 10’ sections, and longer, and are set on a stone footing. Appears to be ~ 6" of concrete, beyond the rigid foam, on the outside. It was parged on the outside with a broom type finish.

It seems like a great system…with some oddities (like the 3/4" wood strips don’t seem adequate for keeping the NM cable back far enough to prevent possible future nail/screw penetration, etc.).

Interested in your thoughts.

1 Like

Anyone have experience with the above?

What did you think?

1 Like

I did not watch the whole video…but by looking at the photos I have to question the butt joints and the heavy reliance on caulk to water proof the dang thing.

And…corrosion so soon?

1 Like

Thanks, Brian.

The joints were not visible in the outside with the parged broom finish coated and I believe that the joints had hydraulic cement outside before the parge coating…but the video did not address that.

The basement was very dry and warm and the home was ~7 years old but we have mostly sand up here, when digging and for backfilling.

2 Likes

Here in GA…that can be rare :smile:

These are very similar to tilt-up panels used in commercial buildings which are typically really good. I just have never seen them subterranean. You have peaked my interest.

2 Likes

Holes were provided for wiring, they should have used them.

But the wire needs to be secured within ~8" of the box, I believe. How would one keep it back 1 1/4" from the stud surface?

You could protect the NM cable in a metal raceway like EMT or it would need to be at least 1.25" away from the edge of the stud. That could be accomplished by using something like a Caddy Colorado Jim strap.

5 Likes

Secure the wires on the concrete stud using tapcons screws and clips.

2 Likes

Yes you could…I was thinking something simpler and Rob came through with “a Caddy Colorado Jim strap.” …which I never heard of before.

1 Like

All the gypse in a condo building in Gatineau had to be removed because of wiring installed too close to edge of the studs…Story at link below (French only):

1 Like

Me neither, good to know. Thanks!

2 Likes

When I was manufacturing log homes, I set one of our buildings on a precast foundation as you pictured. Although I was on site only during our log reassembly, I was impressed with the product. It’s the only one I saw in my career. My bias is towards this product when compared to a wood foundation (even when produced, engineered, installed, and guaranteed by Woodmaster of Prescott). Both foundation systems are prefabricated and engineered products. I never heard any negative comments, although this home was north of Minneapolis, MN, 250 miles from our operation.

2 Likes

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your view. :+1:

I see it as you do…I am impressed by the system, too.

1 Like

That’s the way it seams. I’ve worked with precast panels in commercial buildings many times but not residential. I would think sealing the seams could be problematic in certain parts of the country with certain soil types. In the video, it is mentioned that #3 Sand may have to be used. Great to backfill with but holds moisture if it is not very clean or capped with clay.

I have seen these recently in a new build apartment complex, but never knew what they were called. Learned something new right there…

3 Likes

The big latent issue is corrosion of the bolting, and the lifespan of the sealants between each section. These sealants have a limited lifespan, and will dry out and crack eventually. Big headache waiting to happen, imho.

Also, the way these things are installed is by crane. One guy in a crane, the other guy putting thick beads of the sealant on the mating surface of the panel hanging in the air. If the crew is sloppy, and the mating surfaces bump or drag, then the sealant isn’t evenly applied (and could even be scraped clean off if the operator isn’t really careful).

2 Likes