Pricing for Radon and Mold Testing

Good morning to everyone! I am new to Home Inspection and I would like to get my pricing in order.
How much would you charge for a Radon as a bundle with the inspection? Or a price without inspection?
What would you charge for a mold test as a bundle with the inspection? What are your fees without the inspection?

For radon, I charge $140 without an inspection but I won’t drive more than 15 minutes each way. $90 with any inspection.

I don’t do mold myself but the guy I use charges $300 for a baseline and one air sample. $150 for each additional sample.

1 Like

Depends on my mood AND if I like OR feel I do not trust the client.
$125-150/air sample. If with an inspection then it could be anywhere from $75-$150.
It helps to advise 'em that unless they need it for some dumb reason, I suggest no surface swabs or tape lifts for them to pay for.
Who cares if it’s red-black-green-pink mold? It’s mold! It’s gotta go.
They like that & it helps instill confidence in the inspector.

1 Like

This is a great post as I’m currently taking the mold inspection course. I was curious about these exact questions.

1 Like

I don’t do mold testing because when you identify mold it doesn’t really matter which kind of mold it is; you just get rid of it.

For radon, I have a digital tester (just in case) but I live in an area where radon isn’t a problem so I never have to use it. I’d maybe charge $100-$150 since it takes a few days and requires you to return to retrieve the tester.

1 Like

I don’t do mold, but radon yes: I can have long distances to travel because I’m the only licensed radon tester within 100 miles. We’re a radon licensed state, so there is state reporting, continuing education, and audit time involved. So I charge $100 to set the CRM and $5 per one way mile, $125 minimum charge. If radon testing is in conjunction with a home inspection, my mileage fee is $2.50. Second monitor for two foundation types, add $50. Looking on line, I’ve found radon tests run $150 to $200, but I cannot charge within that range when I have a test 50 miles away.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! I am logging everyone’s pricing to come up with price to fit my operation!

So… there may be an issue with air quality/high elevations.
Not to be known unless you test.

2 Likes

Correct. That type of testing is more than I’ve been willing to get involved with. It can involve sealing off doors and windows and placing testers in suspected areas for days.

Hello Theodore . you know with the radon & mold inspection i really think that it depends on your pricing as to which state are you doing business out of . me myself do a $100.00 dollars radon and with the mold inspection i do individual mold inspection I do not add that to my basic inspection because here’s the point if you do a basic inspection and run across apparent mold or any signs of mold I feel that that shitt go into your report regardless if you doing a mold inspection or not you’re not just going to look over that at least I’m not I’m not really in the state where people book a mold inspection on a everyday basis I happened to be in Los Angeles California and there’s just so much you can add to a basic or general home inspection sew with me I run mold inspection as an additional service that my clients can book order and you know that mold inspection come as limited or unlimited so with the limited I charge $150.00. And with the unlimited I charge $300.00 and both prices swab testing times two is taken and sent to the Laboratories. But also in Los Angeles people either one because they have mold damage or they want their landlord to pay for some work in the unit are they want to use the information to sue the landlord the client wants you to somewhat help them prove that their illness are allergies is actually coming from some part of mold in the home are unit… So we do not charge for milage stuff like we charge a fix price .
Thanks for your questions
Theodore

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback and advice. I performed an inspection and found an active water leak. It also look like possible mold was growing. Even though I passed the mold training I wasn’t offering tghe service. I just purchased kits for mold and radon so not to miss anymore opportunities to help my clients. Once more, I would like to thank everyone for the the help!

HUH?
I can collect 3 air samples in less than 30 min…

Interesting. What equipment do you use to test the air?

I charge $100 for radon with a home inspection, $125 for a standalone. I recently got certified for mold testing with all the fancy equipment, however, I’m with Darrin…if there’s mold there’s mold. Call a mitigator. But I’ve had so many people who simply want to know I can test if there’s an issue. I rarely do test, but when I do there is a lot of money involved. Indoor Air Quality (three samples: outside windward, outside leeward, and inside living area). $300. 15 minutes. And I charge $75 per tape lift. I don’t get it, but people seem to want it. I’m always looking for mold in a regular home inspection, but clients seem to feel better knowing I have fancy machinery and a certification if it’s needed. As one said to me the other day, “I want a One-Stop Shop.” So that’s what I give them.

2 Likes

Good job Christi!
And Darrin:

Interesting. What equipment do you use to test the air?

5 liter x 5 minute air sampling cassette made by ZEFON.

The Z5 sampling cassette is a cost effective, first-line mold screening tool that efficiently and reliably collects mold. It can be easily used by home inspectors to get preliminary information on whether a mold problem may exist and further investigation is warranted.

The Z5 is a spore trap impactor that uses slit impaction as the collection mechanism. This method is an industry recognized and reliable method that allows superior mold spore collection.

Z5 Advantages

• The Z5 slit impaction collection method is the industry recognized method for superior mold collection.
  • Quick 5 x 5 sampling (5 LPM for 5 minutes)
  • Works with any pump set at a flow of 5 LPM
  • An easy replacement for competitive products that over-promise and under deliver
  • Manufactured by Zefon International, an ISO 9001:2000 certified manufacturer and industry leader in the design and manufacture of air sampling equipment.

Z5 Standard Operating Procedures

• Remove the caps from both ends of the Z5.
  • Attach the vinyl tubing from pump to bottom of the Z5 (where round cap was inserted).
  • Turn pump on.
  • Calibrate pump before each use making sure that the bottom of the stainless steel ball in the flow-meter is sitting above the 5 liter line marker.
  • Listen for suction.
  • Run pump for 5 minutes.
2 Likes

Thank you. I’ll check them out.

1 Like