Pro-lab

Originally Posted By: jrabanus
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just got some information from this company called Pro-lab. They said that they can provide me with mold testing swabs etc and do the testing. Has anyone had any dealings with them? Are they any good?

Josh Rabanus

Precision Inspections

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Pro Lab? Pardon me, I laughed so hard I was crying.

Guess they are not any worse than the others, but have no personal experience with them. Other than they have been to our local meetings several times (not any more) and the only thing they could tell us was 'How to Make Mo Money' and that 'Mold is Gold'.

Mold testing? HIs? Do we have to go there again?

I guess so. (I will now shut up on this.)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dfrend

I don’t test mold at this time. But Jerry, the fact is some clients DO buy into mold scares. And they want the mold tested. If you won’t do it, somebody else will. And rest assured they will go to them to get it tested.

I have heard of Pro Lab, but not done any testing. i would suggest you consider both sides and carefully look into it. Sorry I can't offer more.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: Guest

I attended a lecture at local university about our space program, and more specifically about the physical properties of the tiles that cover the exposed soft underbelly of the shuttle. The lecture lasted nearly four hours, was given by one of the developers who is not only an expert in his field but a pioneer.

I learned a great deal that day and felt it was time well spent...honestly I know a great deal more than the average guy on the street concerning the topic. I was not surprised when NASA didn't call me after the last shuttle disaster. They called people who were qualified instead.

Originally Posted By: dplummer

Josh, I have not used Pro Lab. I have used EMSL Analytical & been very pleased with them. Doug

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I don’t test for mold either. Got the training, but made a business decision not to get into mold. I have had some dealings with ProLab. Once their salesman gets your phone number he becomes like a piece of chewing gum on the bottom of your shoe. He called all the time and pestered the crap out of me and our office. He literally sounded like the salesman in the commercial about the software. “Say, can I put you down for 500.” Finally had to get ugly and told him to cease calling. I know others who use them but had the same experience.

Originally Posted By: dacton

Josh,

I also use EMSL Labs and have attended Mold Sampling Seminars with them, very satisfied! ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Donald A. Acton
Acton Property & Environmental Inspection Services
North Massapequa, New York

Originally Posted By: Gary Van Florcke

If you want an Honest opinion about Prolab they have only treated me with respect and honesty,they have bent over backwards to keep my business. They have an unbelievable customer service department,I guess that’s the same guys as the sales department but hey they’re salesmen.The CEO has even called from time to time, if he even thinks theres a problem. As for the Mold issue it is now 70% of my business and honestly is less headache than my home inspections

Originally Posted By: dbowers

We’ve used 4-5 different labs. Pro-lab was the best of the bunch and we’ve never been pestered by pushy salesmen. Lot of the guys around me use them and seem to be satisfied with them.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

http://www.nachi.org/prolab2.htm

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: jmertins

I cant say anything bad about Pro-Lab…I have only done a few tests and I do not over sensationalize the mold stories. I only do the tests if I am asked by the buyer.

John Mertins

Baxter Home Inspections, Inc.

"Greatness courts failure"

Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Chad Fabry wrote:
I attended a lecture at local university about our space program, and more specifically about the physical properties of the tiles that cover the exposed soft underbelly of the shuttle. The lecture lasted nearly four hours, was given by one of the developers who is not only an expert in his field but a pioneer.

I learned a great deal that day and felt it was time well spent...honestly I know a great deal more than the average guy on the street concerning the topic. I was not surprised when NASA didn't call me after the last shuttle disaster. They called people who were qualified instead.

Chad,

But would you if asked to? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Oh, not until you spent the night in Holiday Inn, right, got it.

I guess some just didn't 'get it'. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Oh Jerry, We got it. We chose to ignore it. Doug

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

Questions for all of you mold testers;

1. What type of insurance coverage do you have for your mold testing business?

2. Also a mold question: If you find that a home has elevated levels of Cladosporium and Chaetomium what do you tell your customer?

Scott

Originally Posted By: Guest

deleted

Originally Posted By: psabados

Scott

Cladosporium Over 30 different varieties, to most a common allergen, however to some could be an extreme health hazard.

Chaetomium well over 80 different types, can cause brain damage and death. What do you think? Only two other types of mold are considered more serious, that Stachy and Aspergillus. Also Chaetomium is a difficult item to remove once its entrenched in a dwelling.

You perform a radon screening, results show an elevated level, what do you do? Hopefully direct your client to further evaluation through the proper channels. Radon long term exposure (long) to elevated levels (high) could possibly (maybe) lead to lung cancer.

Mold can kill quicker than that, but not a fast as a electrocution.

Paul

Originally Posted By: mbartels

The difference is that there are EPA certified contractors for radon.

Who do you recommend to remove the mold?

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

I had lunch today with a Realtor (he bought) during the conversation he asked if I would be able to help him with the new Florida disclosure clause concerning mold. I told him that I wasn’t aware and would look into it and get back to him. If Florida is requiring the Real Estate community to disclose mold conditions it would seem that the number of HI’s performing mold testing will increase. Does anyone out there have any information on this disclosure rule and what is required here in Florida?

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: psabados

Mathew

I would recommend somebody or company that is a member of IAQA. They're organization is similiar to HI's. They have a strict COE and SOP that they follow, plus CE and other requirements. FYI, they're US, Canada and worldwide org.

They also carry two different type of ratings, one being a remediator.

Paul

A qualified mold remediator would also be IICRC certified & would base their remediation on the IICRC S520 Standard & Reference Guide for Professional Mold Remediation. The Indoor Air Quality Assc. & the Indoor Environmental Institute & a host of Doctors,Professors, Depts of health & sciences & many more professionals were involved in its making. Doug