Problems With Flir Imager

Great … There is always a chance to get one that works.

I have that same problem with my POS Flir! It freezes up and the screen goes to black and white boxes. I sent it to Flir and they said it was the memory card was causing it and that they didn’t have my memory card so they couldn’t fix it. It’s a bunch of BS. At this point I’m beyond pissed and I’m going to call my attorney if they don’t fix this thing or refund my money. It’s also won’t connect to the iPad or iPhone so it completely eliminated my possibility to generate fast reports in the reporting app. It takes twice as long to inspect anything because it freezes up all the time.

Just got my hands on a VT04 from Fluke. Not bad for the price you pay.

I did get a new Flir, from Flir about two weeks ago. I have not tried it to see if it has the same issues.

I picked up a new Flir E4 to use as backup while I sent in my E50bx for calibration and service. I figured I could resell at cost or better to a hacker. There was a large dot at the top of the viewing screen and every image, about an 1/8" when looking at the viewing screen. It took over a month for Flir to get the E4 service ticket emailed to me even after 5 phone calls checking on them. They misspelled “integrety” in my email. :roll:

Really looking forward to this battle.

Well, after sending my Fluke to be calibrated, I pulled out the new Flir, that I got back a few weeks ago. The first day went fine, but the second day, I recieved a message that I needed to disconnect the cable… There was no cable attached. WTF!

I call the Flir and they blew me off and told me to call the sales company. He promised that they have a fix for it but I would have to send it back… again. :twisted:

I am not paying to ship it back so they can mess around again. I asked for my money back… So far no response.

They know they have a software issue but expect me to keep sending it back to try to fix-it… Now that is some bull****.

I hope you purchased it from a good reseller that will stand behind the product and deal with al the BS for you.

Dom.

I’ve been using my E6 for months now. Maybe twice I’ve got the “No memory card” message. Turn it off, remove the battery and put it back in, problem solved. I’ll watch more carefully.

I love the MSX. Makes for pics that a customer can easily understand.

That’s my experience anyway…:slight_smile:

Contract Claude Boudrault. A level 3 thermographer and trainer at ITM Equipment In Montreal Quebec. Canada’s hub for Flir equipment.

I have told Claude during a demo of the Flir T420 about software glitches colleagues where having on their Flir IR Imagers.
Claude mentioned *** one of several points*** Delete your last images on the SD card in your camera and Delete any last or past download seasons on your computer. That should stop the no SD card pop-ups he thinks.

Here is his email address. CBoudrault@itm.com
I told him INACHI colleagues will represent themselves as InterNACHI or NACHI members.

PS: Looks like I am looking at a Fluke. Ti300, Ti29 and yes and maybe a Flir. I can not go the $9,000 on IR imagery. I hope I can get a discounted Ti 29 60 HZ.

PS: Jim’s Infraspection IR Building Inspection Course discounted for INACHI members is a great tool. Gesse Louise. You are recognized by colleagues the educators you associate with.
Thank you INACHI, Infraspection Institute and Roy Cooke:-)

Ok, so Flir acknowledged that there is an issue and are willing to send me another new camera(with free upgrade). I have been waiting for Return authorization for a week.

Today I tried to use the camera and got the original problem message on the second camera. “The image could not be saved. There is no memory card(this model does not have a memory card)!” I could not make this up if I tried.

I am not willing to have to pull the battery and restart, sometimes more than once to use the camera. Flir hacked their own camera to dumb it down, then they realized it had security issues and they are scrambling to fix it, now their fixes have issues. It is the Yugo of IR.

Hah, too funny

I would agree that the E-4 could be called the Yugo of IR imagers. It is a bottom of the line model that could have been a nice entry level camera had Flir kept the quality level up near what their other lines are. They attempted to counter Flukes entry level model with an imager for under a grand by restricting the E8’s firmware. They were not prepared for the flood of orders that followed and production could not keep pace. Backlog times kept creeping up and the quality of the E series started going down. This has caused havoc with their service departments. They are now 3-4 weeks behind. I was recently at their service facility in Nashua NH and their service people are inundated with E series returns.

I own 2 Flir imagers and am very pleased with the quality and functionality of both. I consider myself lucky that I purchased them before this current mess started. Flir has always been a leader in this business and has been making state of the art imagers for a long time. They are aware of the issues and are working at every level to resolve them. Are there some people that are getting the run around at the current time? Yes. Does Flir realize that their reputation is on the line here and are they trying to work through all of the problems facing them right now? Again yes. I was impressed with their technical and service staff and the all out effort being shown by all to work through this current temporary bottleneck.

It is sad to see how you have been put through the wringer on this John. Hopefully they make it right for you and Dan.

The part I am mad about it every single time they have a chance to make it right they screw it up. They always want me to do something, when they should be handling the issues. If they would just pick a software version that they know works and send that to me I am sure I would be happy. Instead they are rushing to ship, return and repeat. It would be simpler if they would just send me working firmware. I think they are worried someone will crack their security and upgrade their camera, that ship has sailed.

They are now allowing me to return the camera, again and when they receive it they will ship another. So the camera I paid for in October 2013 I still can not use, this makes me mad.

I do not think the flir E series camera will comply with Resnet’s or BPI’s standards.
The FOV is wide 45º x 34º A wide angle lens.
A standard is 20% remember.

The span and level controls are minimal at best.

NOTE: From Resnet: Because there are many imagers in the market today that are not well-suited to use in building diagnostics, establishing minimum specifications for equipment was deemed critical. Thermal sensitivity is specified at 100mK or better, while spatial resolution is defined by the minimum array size (120×120 or better) and a suggested field of view (FOV) of approximately 20 degrees. The thermographer must also be able to adjust the span and level within either their infrared imager or their software. While “fixed-focus” systems are technically allowed, the onus is placed on the thermographer to ensure the images are in adequate focus; if not, another system must be utilized.

IMO For whatever reason Flir tried to introduce a “wide angle lenses” on a Infrared Camera platform and create a marketplace buzz by doing so.
The E8 was modified to be a entry level performance camera.
Its was done to dupe, yes I say dupe, the unknowing IR consumer into paying dearly for a camera that does not meet the standards in place to insure a quality of performance.
$6,000 and $6500 in canada are a lot of money for what can be argued a non compliant Infrared image.
I am speaking hypothetically of course.

I have looked closely at the competition.
Seeing I enjoyed my fluke 160 X 120 Ti100 once I learned the ropes I spent more time looking at the competition. To regulate a bias.

What I have seen so far.
IMO: Flir are the leaders in selling Home Inspection cameras. The camera FOV is more rounded.

Fluke on the other hand use the triangle FOV.
In a commercial or industrial setting most objects are triangular. Vessels, panels, motors and the turnings and their components, ie: shafts, bushings barrings, etc are longer than wider.

Testo is a market place competitor with some european engineering!
They conformed the IR cameras imagery at convection and gas vapour than objects IMO.
Smart!
I am sure if Testo’s cameras where more robust and visually appealing to the North American purchaser they would capture a good market share in N.A.
They now have an algorithm that doubles the arrays imagery. 160 X 120 becomes 320 over 240. Software! Nothing more.

The three principles are heat transfer are:
Radiation Is the bases of IR observation:
Convection:
Conduction:
Each manufacturer cut out their own market share.
The competition focused on a market share.

Good luck guys.
I stuck with Fluke.