Quality repairmen and where you find them?

Originally Posted By: Dan Auito
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Question: Homeowners no doubt ask inspectors for referrals on who they should use to get the defects found fixed.

#1. Do you ever recommend and if so how do you do it in such a way as not to cause a stir or become liable in any way?

#2. where do you find your best qualified repairmen if and when you do recommend them?

I'll ask appraisers
Other inspectors
Satisfied customers and friends
I don't rely on third party service agencies to give good advice,generally speaking.

Any hints would be appreciated, especially in finding excellent tradesman.

--
Interested party

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Dan

I only recommend those who will make me look bad.

Mike P.

I guess you can find those types at the day labor pools all day long. Hey I’ll have to try that Mike. We can just blame everything on their drinking problem! Cool icon_wink.gif

Interested party

Originally Posted By: rjones1

contractors, and I explain to my clients that I either have had them do work for me, or that I have atleast seen their work. I also tell them that I am in no way connected with the contractors and receive no compensation for having them on the list. I also advise them that there are many others listed in the phone book. I then advise them to get several quotes before making any decisions.

My clients always seem very appreciative for the information, and I don't have to remember a bunch of names and numbers.

--
Rich Jones
General Inspections, Inc.
Perrysburg, OH

Originally Posted By: jjudy

RJ, good call.

We recommend the Home Supply Centers for every day issues, We to offer Consulting and Referral programs based on our network of providers only on a required service need.

RJ, are you interested in being a part of a chapter here in Ohio?

Originally Posted By: rjones1

Jeff,

Yes, I would like to become part of an Ohio chapter. I was hoping for one closer to Toledo, but I don't think one exists. I could start one, but I currently don't have the time. (Not to say that inspections occupy all of my time - I wish.)

Could you e-mail me some info. at generalinspections@msn.com?

--
Rich Jones
General Inspections, Inc.
Perrysburg, OH

Thanks for the insights gents. It’s delicate work when you recommend others and many perils do exist. But if you really have a great service provider in your arsenal I think it is a real service to tell people about their existence.

Interested party

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Dan

Yes. If he is that good.

As with everything else it is your 'rep' on the line.

Mike P.

It’s a double edged sword, but one you have to be willing to swing occasionally when the situation dictates. icon_smile.gif

Interested party

Originally Posted By: psisler

Hi Dan,

I had the same question a while back. I made up a list a "short list" like realtors have for inspectors. I call it my Contact Information Page. It lists three (3) contractors in every part of home construction and maintenance. I spent about five weeks putting this list together, I contacted scores of people until I got what I wanted. Checking on their license, insurance, track record, complaints, etc.. I met with all of these people either over lunch, in the field or at my office and got to know them.
I made up a handout for clients "that asked" for a referral. On the cover sheet I also explain several things:

1. The client is under no obligation to choose any of the companies stated herein.
2. The client should be made aware that certain system repairs are required to be made by licensed personnel of that system and may require inspection by local authorities in accordance with all applicable state, county, and city codes.
3. The list of companies herein are in no particular order or preference and are offered strictly for the convenience of the client and are no way related to this company.
4. The client should understand that the final decision to choose a company to make any or all repairs lies with the client only.

There is a lot more on the cover but you get the idea. This has helped me get a bit more business through referral.

Like I said this is what I do. Not all will agree. Hope it helps.

Patrick

Patrick! You have nailed it, that is exactly the way to approach this angle of networking for more business. I’m agreeing my friend. I have used your methods in much the same way. That’s an excellent program when you can count on the top providers coming through for those that you supplied the info to.

Those 5 weeks are time well spent as they will return to you many new leads along with some killer goodwill. Thanks for the outline. Great work. Dan ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Interested party

Originally Posted By: psisler

Dan,

You are welcome. The one thing I must impress upon in this area is that no compensation is received for these services. In my opinion and that of Richard Jones' this is just a service nothing more, becomes ethical after that. I do, however, get leads from this service, which is great. Take care.

Patrick

Oh contraire’ mon frare, the value in the form of good will is priceless and cannot be had at any price. Indeed you are paid handsomely for these valuable referrals. Believe it!

Interested party