Random Acts Of Kindness

Here’s a thought. How about we start some threads with quotes and examples of others “Random Acts of Kindness” Just a thought.

Your greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.

William J.H. Boetcker (1873-1962)
Religious Leader, Influential Public Speaker

How about every one reading send me a buck then we will all decide what to do with it give it all to one or a few and i’ll film and post. I do not know how we could keep track so everyone KNOWS i do not rip anyone off because I am sure I would be accused of it. But if anyone can figure out a wall I’ll do it and film it and post it. I’ll even give 2 bucks :slight_smile: I say help some kid that has had bad luck not just crappy parents :slight_smile:

Paypal might be a way then we could purchase gift certificates or something. I know I can buy anything at home depot with paypal and then everything could be tracked by paypal :slight_smile: Assuring I do what I say.

Hey I even bet we could get InterNACHI on the news as a side benefit :slight_smile:

Thomas…Great idea, I say we take it one step further and try to perform our own Acts of Radon Kindness…I prefer it this way (Evan Almighty). Instead of talking about it, do you have an idea how we can do it?

I hate giving to the big charities (except for St. Jude), I like it to be more personal. Anyone have an ideas?

I have a story where I spent over $1000 on gift for the elderly and went to an arbitrary Retirement home and was turned away…

[quote=“mmeeker, post:2, topic:82724”]

How about every one reading send me a buck then we will all decide what to do with it give it all to one or a few and i’ll film and post. I do not know how we could keep track so everyone KNOWS i do not rip anyone off because I am sure I would be accused of it. But if anyone can figure out a wall I’ll do it and film it and post it. I’ll even give 2 bucks :slight_smile: I say help some kid that has had bad luck not just crappy parents :slight_smile:

Paypal might be a way then we could purchase gift certificates or something. I know I can buy anything at home depot with paypal and then everything could be tracked by paypal :slight_smile: Assuring I do what I say.

Hey I even bet we could get InterNACHI on the news as a side benefit :)/QUOTE

I would be happy to do that. Count me in for $10, just tell me what email to use with PayPal.

I would be open to this as well. I will try to think of some ideas. How about some of these wonderful minds reading this pitch in with some ideas. The more the better.

I say a Kid or a Wounded Vet something like that. How to find the one to choose is the hard part.

Hey we could all send the money to Nick. It needs to be Paypal at least for me to be able to participate. Then any members who know someone can tell their story here and we have a poll. Nick cuts the check on behalf of interNACI’s members the member whose person wins give it to them and video it. We then post the video to youtube and or the local news.

Here is an idea that hit me…I think we can make it happen rather easily…and it should be a win/win situation.

I say we find a veteran who is looking for a profession when he gets out of the military.

We set him up with all training material (Books - I will call Nikoli and work out a deal)

Get him all the tools he needs

Have him get mentored by another professional or professionals (maybe a week here or there)

Get him some uniforms, Logo, stationary etc…(Once again through Nikoli)

A good deal on a sftware package (I know one of the vendors will help)

Joe for a discounted year of arbitration services

Nathan for a great deal on his services

See if Humphies can help with getting him a website

Billy to help him with his website…

All in all, all of us working a little bit together to make this soldier a professional inspector…

Pretty much everything the driven, intelligent, professional solider would need to succeed in this profession.

I think we should call it the Nick Gromicko scholarship foundation for future inspectors.

What do ya think?..yes or No?

I’ll do whatever I can to help.
Sounds great, Anything for a Vet :slight_smile:

Seems a tad more difficult than you make it sound as it will take all the folks you mention to work together but I’m in if I can be of assistance.

They will do it…I am not asking for the moon, just a bit of their time and services. I am also not asking for it ALL to be free, maybe just a nice discount.

Everyone I mentioned will help!

Good then if I can help in any way I will be glad to do so as well. Good Luck.

Vets need way more than our sorry gov does for them they put their a s s e s on the line and get next to nothing for it. It is a shame.

Today I put my money where my mouth is. I got a call from a young lady during lunch asking if I could do an inspection right away on an apartment she was living in because her landlord has not made any repairs he said he would do before she moved in 8 months ago. I asked her where she lived, how big her apartment was, and what were her specific concerns. I told her I could do it after my last inspection this afternoon since she was only 2 miles away. I said the most it would cost would be $150.00 for the inspection and the report. She was delighted with the price and we set a time for me to come out. When I got there I met a full time mom, early twenties with a 3 year old, a 2 year old, and a one month old boy. She told me in the past 10 days she has had to take her newborn to the ER twice because he was suffering from congestion, labored breathing, and vomiting. Each time she took him there his conditions cleared up after about 3 hours of being in the ER. The Dr. asked her about her home and if she thought there might be something environmentally that didn’t seem right to her. She told the Doctor’s and me that she thought there was areas of mold and that the apartment just had a nasty odor to it. Not the nicest place but she definitely kept it clean, to a point. She showed me her concerns and after 45 minutes, this was a 700 sq. ft. apartment, I was done. What I found was a dishwasher, that had not worked from day one, with some standing water in it and stunk to high heaven, and the walls and door covered with some type of organic growth, since we can’t call it mold. I also found the bath fan was venting into the floor joists in the ceiling as this was the lower level and there was a unit above them. The fan and 6" long vent pipe were filthy and full of what appeared to be mold or mildew. The ceiling in the bath looked the same. The cabinet under the sink was wet, leaking drain and more organic growth on the sides and floor of the cabinet. I also found the vent from the hot water heater had a negative rise of almost 3 inches and when fired up was leaking carbon monoxide into the utility room which is right next to their kitchen and the furnace is in this same room. I turned the gas off to the hot water heater and told her not to turn it back on until it was corrected… I found numerous wall outlets with no switch plate covers and she had put masking tape over them fearing her toddlers would touch the exposed wires and get electrocuted. Several old wooden windows with the same organic growth around the frames. I said I would document it all and sent her the report with lots of photos and hoped it would help her to get the landlord to correct some potential serious issues here. I suggested she contact a mold remediator but in the meantime clean the obvious areas with white vinegar, buy switch plates immediately, and call a contractor to correct the HWH vent if the landlord continues with not doing anything. I said I have no idea if any of this is related to her infants problems but regardless they need correction. My report took me about 30 minutes and it’s in her hands right now.
Bottom line, when she started writing the check I told her this one was FREE. I told her this was just something I wanted to do and hoped it would help her. She actually started to cry and hugged me and said Thank you so much because she really didn’t have any extra money right now. Her husband is working 60 hours a week for $10/hr and it’s hard to make ends meet.
Please don’t interpret this as boasting in any way on my part. I just thought it a coincidence after asking for ideas today this opportunity came up. I am just so fortunate that I can actually help someone in a big way with very little effort.

I am also supportive of all of the ideas I am hearing so far. Let’s keep this up guys. There is so much we can do to “Pay it Forward” LET’S DO IT!!!

Awesome Thomas…simply awesome…thanks for sharing…

THOMAS, NICE ONE!
well done, sir.

Actually hopefully it is more than well done.

Thomas has started something here…which is hopefully, thought. By presenting his idea and what he did, I am hoping it brings others to act and be more kind (even just a little). I know it has provoked thought in myself.

I heard on TV the other day…what I stopped on an evangelist channel for a minute, I have no idea. Those guys kinda freak me out. But in the 15 seconds I stopped I heard a very profound statement…“What you seek for you must give first”. Hmmmmm kinda weird, but actually its not at all.

If you want love, give love
If you want kindness, give kindness
If you want forgiveness, forgive others
If you want more smiles, smile more

It goes on and on…and it makes a ton of sense…like Karma and other things. But this statement, I guess made it easier for me to wrap my little brain around.

I commend Thomas just for bring the idea up, and hopefully provoking positive thoughts and actions…

Thanks Thomas!

We do many and the payment is self satisfaction .
Will continue on doing what we have done all our life… Roy

Hi Roy, Thanks for the kind words on my other post. I know there are many here that are like you and have given to others many times in your life. My parents always taught me to do this without boasting but at the same time trying to set an example to my four children as they were growing up. I’m amazed at the things my kids remind me of from stories or actions they saw as they were growing up.
I’m not asking for people to boast of their kindness but I am asking that they consider sharing one story where they were helped or they helped someone else out and how it made them feel and how the other person felt. From your quick statement above that " payment is self satisfaction" speaks volumes to me that you are probably a very giving, modest, and humble person doing things from the heart and not for self recognition. I know to others this may seem like a fine line between helping in silence and helping and then telling but I think that a kind, humble, example to others is not intended to be self-serving. The only self -serving, from this point of view, is as you said “Self Satisfaction”. How nice if others could see and learn to do more of this. I know I can learn more about doing this. I think everyone here has probably done this several times in their life but if we consciously put it toward the front of our minds it could affect us in every area of our life. I’ll quit rambling.

Not a free inspection, but I stopped this morning and helped a lady change her flat tire. Pay it forward!

That is Awesome Mike. As I was posting today I remembered a time, over twenty years ago when my oldest was only 6 years old we were getting into our car and a very old, frail couple in front of us saw they had a flat tire. I got out and asked if they needed any help. He said absolutely and he didn’t even know how to get to his spare or jack. After a short time I was on my way and they were both so grateful. Funny thing about that is this is one of the things that all four of my children remember so very clearly. A free inspection, a million dollar gift, putting a dollar in the Salvation Army Bucket, being nice to a waitress, telling your wife thanks for whatever, or changing a tire. It’s all the same in my eyes. Letting others see you care by your words or actions.
Thanks so much for sharing this story. You made someone very happy today and I KNOW it made you feel good. You just made my day!

One example of many is on my radio show a lady phoned in and said she had called a local company to get her Outside AC unit serviced and they talked her into a new unit at a very high cost and she was not getting much cooling .
She called them again and they came back and sold her again at a high cost a remote control thermostat .
She still did not get much cooling .
She was in tears spent a lot of money and they would not talk to her.
I got her number went and visited and the unit as not putting out much cool air .
I went to the Company that had installed the unit and talked to the Manager told him I was a Home Inspector, CMI also the NACHI member of the year and had a continuing Radio show and how this lady had called in and how they seemed to not fixing her problem.
I said I had visited her and agreed she needed some one now to service her unit .
She phoned me the next day and said how they had showed up at her home and been extremely polite and guaranteed they would fix her AC and service it for free.
She could not give enough praise .
People should not be treated like this.
this is just one example of many who needed help .
Depending on need and conditions we helped many not all for free .
We still do help others Next door senior get her mail every day an Groceries if needed.
These are just a couple of many.
I know we are just two of may who do these things .
Since we retired we have given away much of our inspection equipment no charge .