Recent scam attempt

October 27; similar as the other scams reported. client contacted me via texted, set up an time, asked if i can meet the flooring contractor there & if i would oversee and pay the contractor.
I received an over night “official check” for 6 times my fee. they were very persistent and wanted me to deposit as soon as possible. Look the house up at it is still listed. Is there any way to report these or just be aware of anything that doesn’t seem right isn’t.

1 Like

Call the FBI and CIA and tell them you feel this is internationally motivated and targeting Left-leaning Voters!!

Yea, I’m an A-Hole. What ya gonna do about it? :wink:

11 Likes

Well! That for sure isn’t a new revelation. :grin:

2 Likes

Gotta admit… I’m honest and put on no airs regarding who/what I am… so, suk it!!

4 Likes

You don’t want me to get in my plane and fly up there just to kick your ass… Do you ? LOL!

1 Like
2 Likes

Ok, first the check is bad and they will have no idea if it was cashed or not.

Therefore, move forward with the scam and set the appointment with the “scammer” who is to receive the extra funds.

Then, just do not show up. At least the “scammer” had to go through some trouble to end up with nothing.

3 Likes

I have a feeling there wouldn’t ever be an appointment. I have to believe they would ask you to electronically transfer funds to the other “contractor.” These scammers are likely not from the US and even if they were local, no way would they risk meeting in person.

2 Likes

You are probably right. I would play along until the fun begins.

My grandson and I do this thing when in the car together, he is 12. When they call, I let him talk to them. He makes up funny accents and goofy stuff. He is pretty good.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has fallen for the scam tell us how it played out. I mean, let’s say you arrived for the inspection. At that point the jig would most likely be up unless the doors were unlocked and no one was home.

Here is how I would think this scam goes down…

1. Get the check and cash/deposit it.
  2. Scammer then says flooring contractor or whatever has rescheduled to a different day and you can just transfer that part of the money to them electronically since they won’t be onsite same day you are.
  3. This has to be done quickly because the scammer knows they only have a day or two before the bank calls to tell you the check was bad.
  4. You transfer the money via ACH, Moneygram, Venmo, or whatever, but probably by a method where you cannot undo it.
  5. Bank calls to tell you they have removed the bad check funds from your account (and maybe charged a returned check fee on top of that!).
  6. The scammers know they have to move fast also because if you attempt to reach out to the seller or listing agent before doing the transfer, the scam doesn’t work.
4 Likes

I know someone. They had her do “shopping for them”. I do not know all the details, but she lost about $2,000.

1 Like

Marc,

We had the same thing happen to us early this year. Details were a little similar.

Since the fake check (yes, I deposited it) arrived by mail, I contacted the postal inspectors. I provided them with a copy of the express mail, texts, emails, etc. They have a 90% convection record, similar to the IRS.

Keep the faith,
John,
Indianapolis

2 Likes

When a house is listed by an agent you need to contact them for permission to enter the house. They hold the way to enter the home. I just let the client know I need their permission. If not it’s breaking and entering. I then text them to call the agent and give them the phone number. That usually stops the contact. It also shows the agent you are a legitimate inspector.

1 Like

I checked the listing before responding. Scammer went radio silent after my response.

4 Likes

I’m not sure about this type of scam, but many of the computer scammers from Dubai do indeed have local pickups believe it or not. There are some good Youtubers out there working to catch them, and they have worked with the FBI in the past to catch the carriers.

2 Likes

I just got a check from another one last week but he hasn’t said a peep since. I’m sure he knows I got it.

1 Like

Well, I did receive a response.

3 Likes

I’ve tried to report various ways from local police, to the sender’s police. The only way that seemed to matter is the issuing bank of the check. They at least appreciated the effort.

Moneygram/Western union: they just don’t care.
The national fraud center: black hole.

You’re on your one, and you might as well be annoying. Say the dog ate the check, or you lost it, and have them reissue it. Keep doing this until they catch on. Each time it costs them actual real money in postage or FedEx.

4 Likes

8 Likes