Resin Type Beads Coming Out Of Tub Spout

I just had a customer contact me to inform me that these resin like beads were coming out of the tub spout and other areas of plumbing supply when they moved in. I’m guessing it’s a failed water softener screen, but does anyone have any idea on what these could be? I have included a picture that my customer sent me. The picture shows what is coming out of the pipes.

You are correct in that it is likely the water softener.

3 Likes

There was a thread that talked about this very thing not long ago as memory serves.
https://forum.nachi.org/t/angry-listing-agent/216746/4 might be it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast response.

1 Like

That looks like water softener resin.

1 Like

Yes, forgot about that one. To anyone else reading through it, I never did hear back from the listing agent who threatened me with the office attorney! haha.

Those are resin beads. Here is the disclaimer that I add whenever there is a water softener, because most clients wont think about this:

*We do not test Water Softener Systems for functionality as it is not part of our standards of practice. This would need to be done by a reputable company. We do look for leaks. *

However, if the softener is older, there are increased chances that the seal at the resin tank could be deteriorating, and possibly cause resin beads to enter the water supply, which could clog all the valves and faucets. This could be very pricey to correct, as these beads can enter every faucet, shut off valve, and water heater. If the unit is older than 5 years, it is always a good idea to have a plumber evaluate the system. If you ever notice a drop in water pressure, the softener could be the cause, and should be checked right away.

3 Likes

Curious how you arrived at 5 years as a cautionary timeframe??

1 Like

That was just based on some google searching I had done… Most water softener companies recommend replacement at 5 years, which means they probably last at least twice that. :wink:

2 Likes

And I’m not sure how much it would cost to repair, but I called a plumber about this specific home, and he said it could be upwards of $10k, which seems ridiculous…

1 Like

I purchased my current home about 18 years ago. The water softener system was at least 10 years old at that time. Other than adjusting the timer, I only add salt to the brine tank. No other maintenance has ever been done since I’ve owned it. Works as intended, and probably will for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Have you done any water testing to see if its working? I installed my own system about 3 years ago, and just used the cheap test kits at home depot.
I installed a softener, and whole house filter, and tested before and after. It removed all the chlorine, iron and hard water minerals almost completely

1 Like

Now, keeping in mind this following number will not include the cost to repair damages from a failed resin tank, but the System itself including the install kit and filter kit runs in the range of $2,500 and is simple to install for a replacement system. In Minnesota, it is common for people to Lease the system from Culligan or other, which includes install, for about $10 a month.

1 Like

Found this one a few weeks ago. They must not have gotten the 5-year memo, lol.
Hooked up and operating.

1 Like

Yes, I do the same every few years (honestly, every 5 years or when I remember to do it).

2 Likes

actually, its not really a complete replacement at 5 years, they recommend replacing the beads and the seal.

1 Like

around here, as soon as you buy a home, you get hammered with postcards offering $50 gift cards for letting these companies come in and give a “free” water sample test. Their presentation is a whole scare tactic with water samples from your tap, complete with drops they add to make your water look like sludge. And then they run some water through their system, and its perfectly clear.
These companies are charging $10k-$15k for systems! (Have to pay for all those gift cards somehow!)
I did my own for about $800. (2 whole home filters, and water softener)

3 Likes

Yup, Yup, Yup… :wink:

Cheaper

3 Likes

About 10 years ago or so my VERY expensive Culligan system went on the fritz. Our local Culligan dealer had closed up shop and the next closest one wanted a $100 trip charge to come repair it, plus repair costs. I ended up going to Menards and buying the biggest one they had, Morton brand, and installed it. Has been working great on our very hard well water since. I think I bought it for around the $600 mark.

2 Likes

100% correct. Water softener resin only has a 10 year life expectancy. This is the new high capacity resin. When I rented water softeners for my plumbing business, I replaced the resin every 10 years.

Test that old resin after 10 years and it ain’t doing anything but creating iron.

3 Likes

Good info!

1 Like