Ride along anyone? South Florida

Originally Posted By: neil a craig
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just came back a couple weeks ago from a 2 1/2 month get away, and am ready to start learning, I have asked quite a few people in e-mail and messages if they would consider a ride a long or a day of ride alongs for some experience, how ever it has not been too successfull. I would greatly appricate any help possible in that aspect. Im in Pompano Beach Florida, and can’t wait to gain a little experience… please contact me eithor by phone 954-783-5918 or email neilcraig@comcast.net, Thanks again guys!

Neil C

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Neil,

Keep NACHI as your national association, but you should also join FABI (the Florida Association of Building Inspectors) and come to our local inspectors meeting each month in Ft. Lauderdale.

Go to fabi.org and check out 'Events', I recommend going to the next meeting and the following meeting (FABI meets in various areas around the state for their quarterly meetings, the one after next is, I believe, in Ft. Lauderdale, but don't wait for that meeting if you are interested in learning about HI). Our local HI meetings are held the second Tuesday of each month.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

FABI is a place to go learn.

IF all you want is something to stick behind your name, invent something and stick it there.

IF you want to improve your knowledge, go with some organization which is step up to do that. FABI is geared toward the Florida HI. Any inspector not willing to join other inspectors for gaining knowledge does not, in my opinion, need my help (if the HI thinks they don't need to learn and that they don't need any help, who am I to disagree with them?).

Unlike ASHI, FABI is about education. Use the FABI logo when you become an RPI or don't, that's up to you. Take the FABI test or don't, that's up to you. FABI's minimum inspection number is 150, a rather simple threshold to meet. If you don't want to be a Candidate, get your 150 inspections in, join, take the test, pass it, and go right into RPI (Registered Professional Inspector).

Unlike ASHI, the FABI process is simple, but if you don't want to avail yourself of it, don't. FABI will not have any problem with that.

Some HIs are here to help other HIs who want to help themselves. However, if an HI doesn't not want to be helped, why waste the effort? It's YOUR call. There is NO REQUIREMENT to join. It is about HIs helping other HIs become better HIs, if the shoe fits, wear it, if it doesn't, step aside, there are others whom it will fit.

To each their own. You've always sounded like a one man crusade and if you want to fight the world, so be it. If you want help where help is offered, so be it.

I was offering help. Take it or leave it. No one is going to force you to learn to be a better inspector.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

It doesn’t displease me, it only defeats the purpose of trying to help other HIs, others asking for help.

All you do is rant on about how you were treated by the ASHI group in your county and area. I supported you on that, because you were right and they were (are) wrong. But for you to continually cry wolf over your beliefs, well, that is your prerogative, but it helps no one.

I am here to help those who want help. The best way they can be helped is to attend educational meetings. Whether those meetings are FABI, NACHI, ASHI, or whatever. You do not have to belong to an association like FABI to attend their meetings and learn. You have to be willing to not belly ache all the time and be willing to learn, though. That is the only requirement.

If, in the end, you see benefit by belonging to an association, then by all means, join it. If you do not see benefit by belonging, by all means, for your own good (and that of that association) do not join it.

I support your fight against ASHI in your area, always have, and have even made suggestions on how to circumvent the 'problem'. That does not mean I will stand silently by when you yell rape every time someone mentions any association you do not personally approve of.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Education is one of the keys to success for a Home Inspector. It can be obtained thru Training Schools, Community Colleges and National/Local Associations.

NACHI, ASHI, NAHI, FABI, KREIA, etc... all provide valuable educational resources. The Knowledge obtained and gained will assist you in the operation of your business.

The Education aspect of becoming a Home Inspector has little to do with the Titles and Levels of membership within any Organization.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Neil,

You stated that you have contacted a lot of people, requesting for a ride along... Were they NACHI members?

There's a good amount of NACHI members in your area. Here is a list of local members that may help you. If not, expand the search to 50 miles and travel out of your area. It's hard to get a local Inspector to train their future competition.
http://www.findaninspector.us/search.php?search_ENGINE=zip&amp DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;zip=33060&radius=30&Submit=Search+Now%21

Jerry & Joe H,

Great posts on partaking in HI education. If school sucks, drop out like the rest of the losers.
When it comes to learning, I'll take it any way I can. I recently attended an ASHI sponsored CO detection seminar. I was the only NACHI member in the room. ASHI status/rumors was the least of my concerns, I was there to learn.
![](upload://vG5wOPN95v7fteCx1pQg1saMHZd.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."