Roof coating/life expectancy florida

I’ve come across this roof here in South Florida. It’s tongue and groove. Seems to be shingle foam and then coated. I inspected the interior of the attic, and there is no active leaks. In our Florida four-point inspection, it wants to give a life inspect and see on this roof. What do I do here? It is very old and I cannot find a permit

pretty new five month old inspector here.

Welcome to the forum, Mark. You need to give your photos time to upload, before posting. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I need a picture, what does this mean

1 Like

I really cannot tell what the heck that is covering the shingles.
You sure they were not cement tiles?
If it really is covering shingles, I would call for a re-roof.
Shingles were not meant to be sealed/covered over
It can cause rot, moisture trapping, etc.

5 Likes

I will give it less than 6 months. That is the wrong application for that spray coating. :thinking:

4 Likes

Unsure if it is cement tile I could almost see a pattern under the coating.

There’s no question it’s a spray foam applied…

Was there an attic? If so, you can see what type of roof covering is there at the vents or penetrations.

1 Like

You need to put an age (or an estimate) on the 4 point report. Experience can help, but we weren’t there.

And you need to supply a “remaining useful life” for the 4 point report.

Since we weren’t there, and those photos can’t be a substitute for an on-site evaluation, it falls on you, if you are signing the insurance report.
If it appears to you, in your professional opinion, that the roof has 1-3 years remaining life, or whatever you decide, then list that range and describe the condition in the comments field.

Looks like the coating that you see on flat roofs on mobile homes. The contractors typically include a taillight guarantee against leaks.

1 Like

I’m with Marc.

That unconventional abortion wouldn’t get 6 months from me. But, alas, Florida is a different animal, I guess. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Florida man strikes again

2 Likes

Thats a good one

Wow Mark! Yeah, I’ve seen this coating on “Poly” Flat-style (under 2/12) roofs around here in NC… but never on anything with this type of pitch. And never with this kind of aesthetic! Very posh! Seriously though, I certainly would not feel too cozy having to place any timeline on this - especially for insurance. Their pockets are just too deep. Where are our engineers on this one?

I would recommend doing a little more research on the types of roofing and state something along the lines of… “Roof material appears to be incorrectly installed. …”This does not necessarily mean that it will not perform for its recommended period of time. However, because this is a shorter term roofing material supplied and intended for a flatter pitch roof, I am unable to certify its term for any guaranteed period of time.” Or …again do some more research on this type of roof covering….
The other problem I would have is you might be liable on any damage that occurs to the framing due to using improper materials for the original design - and where you did not call it out. So many further questions, structural design, weight, is this typically a 10 year, 15 or 20 year roof… how long do these REALLY last? What’s the max pitch for this covering… hate to be needing to do the research on this one but look forward to seeing the answers from our more vetted professionals here for sure! Thanks for the ask.