Science Fair Project

Hello fellow NACHI members,

I know this has nothing to do with home inspections, but I need some help. My son who is in 3rd grade has to do a science fair project. I thought something to do with infrared would be a good project.

Any suggestions on an science expierment using infrared would be much appreciated - Thanks in advance.

Wow, for third grade, Infrared is pretty complex. I have a 4th grader, and this is way beyond him, and he sees my camera and Infrared pictures all the time.

If you do not have a camera, (I assume you dont) you could do a display of what it does. There are pictures all over the internet, and I have some that I took that I would be willing to share with you. Email me.

As IR is a little extreme for a 3rd grader to report on, use the IR on animals… snakes, mice, frogs, turtles, bugs, etc… and report on the differences between the critters, focusing more on the animals than the IR technology itself.

Hey mat,

Ask your son if there is anything he is curious about how it works.

Examples:

Why does ice melt?

Why doesn’t the sun always come up in the same place?

Why does it cool off at night?

Simple things that an eight year old might find interesting.

Then you can help him put together some simple experiments, show him how to collect data and present it to others.

Excellent advice.

I know I have been guilty of “helping” my son do certain projects that I was more proud of than him. :oops: And we didn’t even get to race “his” pinewood derby car - he was ill on that day. :frowning:

Most of the science fairs are put on to help the kids understand the process, rather than having the coolest looking presentation. There more apt to be excited about the project if the subject is exciting to them.

Now, if your son is excited about infrared, go for it.

Have you seen this site?

http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/

My son actually asked me if we could use my IR camera for a science fair project. I think it would be pretty neat. It has been 25 years since I have done a science project. I’m just not sure what would be a good application that could be used as an actual science expierment that we could do. I will keep brainstorming though.

Thanks for all the replies. I will talk it over with him. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Thanks for the link Rick, I will check it out.

Don’t use these.
They are invisible to IR!
No Delta T! They are cold blooded.

Unless they climb on something hot/cold that does not influence their body heat…

Building Science Class Concord, MA.

I lost the scan where this guy was sitting in a bush (nothing to see anyway).

Energy (heat) loss in homes - scan some friends and family’s homes. Ask some of his classmates parents to do theirs.

Ahhh… that is part of the project… cold blooded vs warm blooded… :D(include a scan of daddy/mommy to discuss “hot blooded”) :twisted:

Given his age how about using the simple coffee mug tests. One with hot water, one with cold water, one with ice water. Use the camera to show the temperature differences, use it to find the water levels in the mugs, and use it to find the ice cubes in the ice water. He can the explain the science behind IR and how it works and it is a simple demonstration to pull off at the science fair.

How about an ice cube in the hand for a few seconds to show how the hand cools down from the ice cube. Something simple yet dramatic thru the lens of an IR camera