Shingle Identification?

Does anyone recognize these shingles? They look like a standard laminated shingle but instead of pieces being laminated on they are just colored to look like it.

I’m going to see it in person tomorrow and can get some better pics but am curious if anyone has ever seen it. Thanks.
Screenshot (221)
Screenshot (222)

I recall seeing those shingles on a post here on the forum a number of years ago. I did a quick search with no luck. Maybe someone else remembers it.

2 Likes

Possibly the Patriot strip shingles made by CertainTeed.

8 Likes

I think JR has it.

3 Likes

Thank You!!! I love this board!! We inspected the house in 2018 and it’s re-selling. My inspector didn’t comment and the current inspector said he wasn’t sure (understandable, not faulting him). Roofer came out and said it was all starter course, second grade shingles that shouldn’t have been used and gave an 11K bid to replace.

4 Likes

You’re welcome! Glad I could help. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Check out that “weave” on the cricket. Is that houndstooth? :wink:

1 Like

Being that I haven’t come across them either, I researched “strip” shingles and kept coming up with starter shingles and was scratching my head. Then JR posted the link and bingo!

3 Likes

:thinking: :wink:

3 Likes

Here is a past thread…similar information.

5 Likes

Starter strip shingles are perforated for ease of separation.
download (1)

6 Likes

Those are NOT starter shingles based on those pics and you can see the same shingles in the link JR sent. Another roofer rips someone off. See Scott’s post. Every inspector should know the difference between the two. :man_facepalming: Starter shingles do not have much color variation, typically one solid color with a dotted asphalt strip for adhesion to the first course above them. This is so it doesn’t lift up with wind. They are installed with the asphalt strip at the bottom on the first course only.

If the entire roof was starter shingles (which I can tell you no reputable roofing supplier would even send that out to a job) it would be a mostly solid color. Big mistake on this. Just wasted $11k of someone’s money. Roofers are mostly crooks and you just became an accomplice.

3 Likes

I don’t see Matt as an accomplice. Sounded to me like he was heading over there to set the homeowner (his former client) straight on the fact that these are not starter strip shingles as the roofer had claimed.

Of course, the roofer may not be wrong that the house needs a new roof. But it may be due to other issues. Sometimes what the roofer tells the homeowner, and what the homeowner interprets and passes along are not the same thing.

2 Likes

Not sure of his intentions, but if you guys can’t tell those are NOT starter shingles then you shouldn’t be doing this. This is basic stuff.

Where do you see this in the posts? I don’t see anything about setting the client straight.

I hope that the client gets the correct information before they waste their $

I interpreted it as his former client is selling the house and the new buyer had a home inspection done (not by Matt’s company). The new home inspection called for a roofer to evaluate the roof. The roofer said the roof needs to be replaced and now Matt’s former client (the homeowner) wants to know why it wasn’t caught when they bought the house.

Matt came to the forum to confirm that the roofer was incorrect that these are starter shingles, and I presume will take that info to the homeowner to help inform them and show that it wasn’t something missed on their original inspection.

4 Likes

I guess you could interpret it that way too. There wasn’t much in the OP. I hope that you’re right about it and I’m not. Better for the client that way.

1 Like

Yep, Ryan’s got it… Current listing agent was buyer’s agent five years ago when we did the inspection and just called when this came up. It’s basically solved now but I’m going to go take a look anyway. I’m actually curious to see these shingles in person as I don’t ever recall running across them. Also, just want to chat with the client and be totally sure they aren’t going to fall for an 11K roof they don’t need.

I just can’t believe how crooked contractors are. I don’t fault the inspector at all. His write-up was fine… just said he didn’t recognize the shingles (he should have come here LOL).

3 Likes

I went and checked it out and everything is fine. Kind of an ugly roof though. It’s a lot like the old 3-tabs in that it just sits so flat that you see every little lump and imperfection. I can understand why it’s not so popular. Probably cheap to make without having to laminate pieces on it. They also had another roofer come by and he said everything was fine.

Best of all the client is SUPER happy with me.

8 Likes

I can not tell from here but I think the Chimney flashing is wrong.
1: Shingles should move independently of counter flashing and chimney.
Poor chimney crown clearance. No crown capillary break.
No flue rain cap. No amber guards.