Shuttering glass block

The only problem with marking X in the chart is that now you are forced to select X for the final selection, if you take the 1802 literally.

“X. None or Some Glazed Openings One or more Glazed openings classified and Level X in the table above.”

It was explained to us by Citizens that they would rather have you mark N/A, than to insert your own exemption on the form. Including a photo with an appropriate caption will let the agents know that you did not make an error or miss the glass block. This also lets everybody know that it is true glass block and not the acrylic fake stuff on the market.

I thought that’s what John said Brad? This is what I and alot of others are doing as well. Mark N/A and photo plus short explanation. Keeps it clear for the underwriters and agents.

Bert

This has been a great help. N/A + not mentioned + picture with caption. Thanks again.

No, I read John’s quote as marking X in the chart. I know a lot of inspectors marking X, and then having to defend that with a notation exemption.

Oh okay didn’t catch that in his quote. Yes, definitely wiser to place an “NR” there and not confuse matters with the “X”.

Bert

N/A or X as long as we have the caption “Glass block is not required to be protected outside the HVHZ” end it at that.

writing NR in the check box would be a great solution, may change my form

Or this:

Ha, everybody would need Acrobat to make that revision. Why not just make it simple…John is on board now.

It is why I design forms…not just make them.
The text is there,all you have to do is delete if it doesn’t apply. Or…never mind…I don’t have the time to give a free course on how to use a simple eight page form!

Have a question. True glass block windows are traditionally with horizontal reinforcement and mortared joints. What say you on glass block with silicone joints…exempted or not? Had this today, rest of house is impact.

Brad wasn’t this that you saw was it?

Bert

Thanks Bert. Good enough for my area. I doubt the glass block was impact rated (no labels or etchings), but looks like the track system and silicone is ok.

this is crazy

window in glass block window.JPG

Haha they may as well put in a mail slot…lol

Bert

Not if this was in a bathroom with no exhaust fan.

I agree with you Roy. But, for esthetics alone, I think I’d install the exhaust fan.

Bert

The window is not big enough, you would need the fan also.