Something missing in cable?

Doing report now.

This orange cable has the two wires coming out, but I believe there should be a ground or a common as well. It appears that there IS a wire snipped just below the black wire, but I was not going to probe around. This may go to a air compressor. There was to many contents in the area to verify.

Electrical is not my strong suite even taking the course here, but I knew this looked incorrect. I did write up needing a bushing and having it run into the panel correctly with the “consult qualified electrician” caveat as well.

Thanks for help.

Yes looks cut. Don’t forget to comment on the wood screw driven into the cable as well.

where is this woodscrew I don’t see it

where is this woodscrew I don’t see it…wait a minute I do see it up there in the stud. Good catch brother

:shock: A wood screw is indeed going through that cable :shock::twisted: Turn breaker off and write up.

Sure looks like a wood screw.

What is that panel or enclosure?

You can not have a knockout that large without anything in it… simply have cables coming into it. A knockout that large is made for conduit.

And… the ground appears to be cut as you mentioned.

Need more info.

Cutler hammer panel. Yea the cable was simply run into what you see. Does not look like normal punch out for sure.
What type of addl info you need? I’ll fill in where I can.

Thanks again!!!

Well, would like to see whole panel.

Was this a 120v circuit… white wire neutral. Am hoping both white and black were not connected to power source/breaker.

Any other photos would be good.

re: punch out - is designed for conduit. Where cables come in they need to have a proper cable connector to secure it to panel/box. Some rectangular/octagonal boxes (in fact many) have built in connectors which is acceptable. Where built in are not provided, one must be use of proper size for cable used. I have Canadian code, but am digging into NEC to see if I can find you the proper reference if you wish to have it.

Each cable has to be mechanically secure to an enclosure in accordance with NEC 314.17 (A), (B) and ©.

No opening can be left open - reference NEC 110.12(A).