Sump Pump is covered by Framed Wall

This sump pit had a framed partition wall built over it. To inspect the pump we had to cut the plexiglass cover in half. My concern is that it makes maintenance on the sump harder plus moisture from the sump could eventually rot the 2×4s which are not pressure treated. Should I write this up as a minor defect? Has anyone seen a stupid setup like this before?

Here’s the picture

Can’t frame over a pump basin, must be accessible for maintenance and Inspection. PT lumber should be used everywhere it is in contact with concrete. Where is the sanitary pipe and vent pipe?

3 Likes

Not a minor defect.

You get permission to do destructive inspection?

1 Like

Did you actually do that?

3 Likes

It’s actually my house. I cut it before to change out the sump pump.

2 Likes

Doesn’t have those. House was build in 2007 so they just put the loose plexiglass cover on. It’s ground water from the drainage tile.

I was thinking sanitary ejector pump as I was reading sump pump. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I know sump covers should be tight fitting with gaskets now days, especially if radon is present or common in area

1 Like

How does the pump eject the ground water from the pit? Where is the drain pipe? Nothing is shown in the photo.

2 Likes

Happens all the time. Note in the report access to sump pump was limited and during emergency and or servicing can be problematic, requiring wall/frame removal to gain access, etc…

2 Likes

CORRECTION: “…requires wall/frame modifications to gain access,…”

1 Like

It’s in the wall of the sump pit. It disappears behind the basement staircase and is ejected into the storm sewer outside

No, Period. This is wrongly executed. Is defeating the proper functionally of sump-pump. If this is your own home, I recommend periodic personal inspections of any sump pump pit to clean out the pump intake and test for proper operation and discharge. Also add a battery operated back up (second) pump displaced a couple inches up from the intake of the primary AC operated one.

2 Likes

Yup, I agree. Sometimes I wish it wasn’t my home. Bought it years ago in 2007. During the peak of slapping together poorly built homes.

1 Like