support posts

Originally Posted By: rwills
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Occasionally I come across support posts in a basement that are supporting the main beam and find that they are custom fitted with welded top and bottom plates. The problem is they are attached at the top with bent over nails and not secured to the floor at all. Just wondering how others write this in the report. I always recommend that they be lag bolted into the beam, and anchored to the concrete floor. Here are some sample photos.

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rhinck

That’s exactly what should be said and exactly what I say!

Rick

Originally Posted By: Susan

Very, very dangerous especially where the beams meet above the plate!

That needs definite and immediate attention!!!!!!

SC

Originally Posted By: roconnor

rwills wrote:
The problem is they are attached at the top with bent over nails and not secured to the floor at all ... I always recommend that they be lag bolted into the beam, and anchored to the concrete floor.

There are issues with that, but be careful there. It's a very slippery slope to provide any specific recommendations. Just recommend further evaluation and/or possible correction by a licensed professional (contractor/engineer) ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: cradan

(along with most of the anchor bolts at the top of the foundation wall(s).)

We call-out the nailing arrangements as "poor fastening practice," and recommend that loose bolts (where found) be tightened. Good enough? Too much? Not good enough?

Regards,

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections