SUPRA Keys

in my area (Kansas) our Supra Keys are set up so an Affiliate needs the Listing Agents 7-digit “CBS” Code (call before showing) before you can can input our own pin code and enter.

About 3/4 of our agents don’t even know what a CBS Code is - Let alone know which I-Box is on the house, OR know their CBS Code. In short paying for an I-Box up her is mostly worthless. We only have 1 Realtor Board for the entire Kansas City Metroplex and its 7-80 individual cities.

In St Louis and Springfield, MO I’m told the Inspectors only have to use their individual Pin like Agents do.

I see stuff on this Board in the Texas area that seems to go both ways also. I’ve seen Dallas area inspectors say Inspectors have to use a CBS Code BUT other Inspectors around that area say they just use a Pin Code like Agents. What gives??

It is up to each individual local Realtor association to decide how they want to provide access to affiliate members. Some here in Texas, like Houston and some Dallas area ones, do not require affiliate members to use a CBS code. Others like Austin do require it. There’s no national or state wide standard other than it’s optional for each association. For the last several years I have had no trouble at all in obtaining a CBS code from the listing agent or their office staff. I’d certainly prefer to not have to do that but it’s not a big deal here in Austin really.

Michael -

So you said Dallas and Houston don’t use the CBS Code but Austin does.

Know Why??

My understanding is that Houston Association of Realtors do not but I only know that from hearing it from other inspectors, I do not know it first hand. I also understand some of the associations in the DFW area do, some don’t. Again, anecdotal evidence. The Austin Bd of Realtors definitely does because I pay them every six months and use my key quite a bit. I’m sure it is just the whim of whoever is in charge of a particular association and of course…“that’s the way we’ve always done it”. I doubt that anyone can come up with any specific justification for requiring inspectors to use the CBS.

Interestingly, the Austin Bd of Realtors switched from the older D-Key model to the newer ActiveKey model last month and we all had to turn our old D-Keys in and get the ActiveKey. I do know that some inspectors lucked out and seemingly accidentally received ActiveKeys programmed to not require the CBS code for use. Unfortunately, I was not one of them. :frowning:

In our area, our supra keys open the box without any “CBS” code. It only takes our own PIN to get inside. Not many agents use the supra any more, though. It is combo locks and the local board is looking at some new options, as I understand it.

You are correct Mike, Houston does NOT require CBS code.

The fact that I have to pay the membership of another association as well as the supra fees is what bugs me the most. There should be some centralized way to get a supra key without having to join another association with little to no benefit. Just another racket…

Hmm, one would think that the Largest Home Inspector Association in the World might look into that, wouldn’t one???:wink:

Is that Toyota or Nissan?

Here in the Cincinnati area we have no CBS code either. My PIN is programmed into the SUPRA key & will work on all local Electronic lock boxes from 06:00 AM to 10:00 PM.

Yours seems a little more liberal than ours here in St. Louis. Ours won’t open until 8:00 but can be programmed for other hours. Of course most brokerages don’t know they can be re-programmed and just leave the default 8:00 am. I don’t know when they quit working at night. I don’t think I’ve ever opened one after about 6 or 7 pm anyway.

Brian, Instead of hinting why don’t you email Nick and ask?

I am an inspector in the Dallas area. I just got a supra key. After a lot of research, I learned that if you can, find a Realtor association that does not use the CBS code. In the Dallas area, the Grand Prairie Board of Realtors does not require a CBS code. So, all I seem to need is my PIN.

Good Luck!

David Selman
Selman Home Inspections