Thermal Images - Some different cameras

I know when I was looking around at different cameras, I was curious of image quality… what am I paying for? Won’t a 120x120 camera be just fine?

What I really learned is that sensitivity is so important… I noted that the E40BX (in my opinion) took better pictures than the B60 as the sensitivity was better,even though technically… the B60 has higher resolution. Given a choice… and to provide value for inspections etc… I’d pick sensitivity / MK over resolution on similarly equipped cameras… if price was similar.

If you’re trying to decide between one point and another…I’d pick thermal sensitivity as a hinging point… for low Delta t’s that you will encounter in field… it’s like looking through dirty or clean water in an aquarium… period.

Like the others before me have said and stressed… really understand what you are getting into and limitations… and if you can’t afford to buy a tool that provides value to you and your customer… don’t bother. Having looked at a few of them at conventions… my previous and new camera as well as the loaner B60… the difference between these camera’s is huge and so is the expense…

I had a B60 loaner and had upgraded from one camera to another… so I thought I’d post some images from a few cameras.

The cameras were Flir cameras, and you will find images from B60, E40BX and T420…

I did watermark images… as the difference in camera costs are huge, I am of the opinion that much like one’s credentials, you should post images from your equipment on your website… I think it’s iffy to post high quality images on a website… and have a entry level camera. Just sayin’

A few images attached here… also you can view from the google plus gallery https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/117719861425633610510/photos/117719861425633610510/albums/5850822226547295169

When you open the gallery… click the drop down for photo details and the file name will tell the camera type etc

B60.jpg

e40bx roof leak.jpg

t420 with m0297.jpg

t420-fusion-notune.jpg

B 60 Moisture Intrusion.jpg

Did you end up going with the t420? The clarity of detail between that and the others is night and day. I have not purchased one yet but am leaning towards a higher end rather then skimping now and regretting it later.

Great info Tim. I like the t420 a lot, nice camera

yes…t420, and you are correct about night/day…if possible, go with better for sure. If budget is constraint… I thought the E40BX’s sensitivity (.045) was good enough for building diagnostics for sure…lots of choices!

Jason Kaylor can provide some details about different financing (I think he may have mentioned leases too) if you are looking at options.

Some of the other cameras I had my hands on really were a struggle to make heads or tails of things with.

I think if at all possible, there should be sample images with all the camera listings, would be a great insight to help folks decide. Even better is to get some hands on and training to make decisions!

Did you get to play with the Fluke Ti-32

Nope… just a TiR. But from what I could tell about the TiR, Fluke makes some very good/durable equipment. A local to me here had kindly sent me some images from his Ti-32, they looked good.

I went from a BCam to a T300 and upgraded to a T400 also picked up a short wave imager for reflective roofs. You can’t go cheap and expect high quality. This is air migration at a window taken with a T400.

Hey Tim, still lookin?
Heres another from the other day.

IR000667.jpg

Good imager choice Tim. I’m sure it will pay for itself in no time.

Professionals should always use professional class equipment to produce professional quality results and they should be paid as professionals for their services.

I fully agree with you on the website images. If someone displays images that they did not produce themselves, with their own equipment, they should clearly state the fact and credit the originator. To do less, is less than honest.

What are you using for a camera Chuck??
I am using the E40BX as I was constrained to money. I would like to get a T420 once I grow the thermal side of things.

IR_0236.jpg

IR_0019.jpg

T400. You should be able to get a used T400 for the price of an E40BX in this market.

Here is an image from a Testo 890-2. This is the native 640x480 detector. The camera was in a mount. Super Resolution doesn’t work in a mount/tripod/etc.

Note the hotter pin locations. This image was taken during a demo for Boeing. I exported a quick JPG from them and didn’t get a chance to throw on any markers. The Delta between the board and pins is basically nothing, yet the locations are very clear. This is the type of stuff in the semi conductor world they want to correct. Just like anything else, heat leads to less performance and eventual failure.

Out of all the areas of IR, I have seen more growth in the scientific world vs any other application, over the past year.

It is raining today here finally, so I should get some good ones today and this weekend.