Unknown Pipes with Caps

Originally Posted By: David Suelflow
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I came across a 1957 modern home, slab on grade foundation, with capped pipes sticking out at the slab level. At first I was thinking post-tensioned slab, but they are only visable at one area of the home. They look like 1/2"-3/4" galv. pipes with caps on them. Any thoughts?

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/F/Ferrell-04.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/F/Ferrell-05.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: Kyle Kubs

Almost looks like something that might have been installed for termite treatment… The capped pipes allow them to inject treatment into the stud bay’s, cap it off to prevent easy entrance, and allow access if future treatment is needed… It’s a little odd, I’ve never seen this before but could just be an innovative way of dealing with a slab on grade… If they were below the top level of the slab then that may not be it… Ask the owner if there is any history of termite issues.

Kyle Kubs
Benchmark Home Inspection Services

--
Those that say it cannot be done should stop interupting those of us who are hard at work, doing it...

That’s a good thought, Thanks. I’ll have to go back and measure exactly where they are (at or below slab level). This is on a home we are looking to buy. It’s weird, this is the first home I’ve bought as a HI. It sure will change your perspective.

Dave

Originally Posted By: bking

If above the slab top, those pipes might just be for bug control too, a few could be actually long with a series of holes in them to allow the bug spray to get all inside of an interior wall.

Originally Posted By: mkober

It’s a long shot, but my guess would be the homeowner paid extra to have a dowel system in place (to tie the slabs together) for when he wanted to put a future addition on. The termite theory has me wondering how one goes about training the critters to want to eat just part of one wall for lunch–what keeps them away from the rest of the house?

Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

I went back to the house and found that the pipes are well below slab level, maybe 4"-6". I dug around on the other side of the house (slab) and found this sticking up from the ground (not out of the wall, like on the other side).

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/F/Ferrell-53a.jpg ]

I could not stay long enough to see if there were any more.

Weird.

Originally Posted By: bking

Harry homebuilder was going to put in some under slab floor heater pipes.

icon_eek.gif