WDO in Michigan

I’m curious if anyone knows if you need to be licensed to do wood destroying organism inspections in the state of MI. I know MI has no license or insurance requirements for general home inspections, but curious on the WDO inspections. It looks like to be an applicator, one needs a license, but I’m just interested in the inspection part of it. I called four different Michigan government numbers, and know one can answer me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This might help you, if not, I would call them.

I called them, they transferred me to a voice mail. Thank you for the help.

Let us know when they return your call. I’m sure it will help out other inspectors.

2 Likes

call

3 Likes

WDI/WDO inspections are not regulated in Michigan.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your help. The other reason I asked is because my client is going through the VA for a loan and there’s a NPMA 33 form that pertains to pest inspections. I called NPMA directly because there’s a line on the form that states “business license number”. They told me in the state of MI there’s no licensing requirements so fill that line with “not issued by the state”. I wonder why they need the form at all if that’s the case. Anyway, thank you everyone who chimed in and I hope this can help other inspectors in MI.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the truth! lol.

I no longer do WDI inspections, but when I did, I did them in both Ohio and Michigan. Ohio requires the NPMA 33 and I used to publish the form, so I used the form in Michigan also. I would just put “Not applicable” for the license.

1 Like

Very good advice! Thanks George!

1 Like

I was doing an inspection yesterday in Michigan and the lender required a “pest inspection” and there was a guy there doing it. He said you have to have an applicators license to do the inspections. Everyone gives a different answer. I have no idea what the truth is.

Call these guys and be sure to let us know what they say.

Contact Us

Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
Constitution Hall, 6th Floor
525 W. Allegan Street
P.O. Box 30017
Lansing, MI 48909
800-292-3939

MI does Not have any requirements regarding any type of inspection. I called the state to verify. You need a license to apply pesticides. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks, I will follow up.