Weather Heads

How close do you get?

601 BISHOP (7).jpg

Hard to see on the picture, but there is some copper showing through.

The neutral appears bare or partially bare, but that is okay. Some are installed bare to begin with. The hot legs don’t appear to have any bare spots, but will certainly be brittle. Disturbing them can have some spectacular consequences if any of the insulation cracks off.

Given the apparent age of that installation, it’s nearing the end of its service life anyway. Additionally, the inproper flashing around the service mast concerns me. That’s a 20 year roof with 5 year Blackjack smeared around the mast. Hate to see that sort of work. A proper split boot should have been utilized when the roof was replaced last.

The hot leg has a bare spot on it. About three inches long.

There’s no compliant repair method for that. Those service conductors have reached the end of their useful life, in that case. When they are (hopefully) replaced, that would be the ideal time to also pop off that weatherhead and install a proper boot to flash that service mast in properly. It might be worth noting that the service mast size (as in, pipe size; diameter) is too small according to most utility specifications nowadays for support of an aerial cable drop. I also note that the triplex wedge grip terminates directly around the mast without the proper fitting, called a ‘mast rack’ or ‘one point rack’ or ‘mast insulator’. During a wind condition, this can permit the wedge grip bail to slide up and down on the mast, unnecessarily straining and possibly abrading the service conductors. This sliding action has obviously occurred in the past, as I note that the black paint is worn off the conduit in the area where the wedge grip bail moved up and down.

Ben,

It also appears that their are little or no drip loops on these conductors and what was the clearance from the service points to the actual roof itself. All these things need to be noted as well in ordered also build a basis for the client having it replaced.

But most certainly in the LEAST…defer for electrical evaluation.

Ya, I posted the picture to see how close other inspectors get to weather heads, and why they should. My electrical license is still goog here in Tn, but thanks for all the replys.

Now see ben…if you had not inspected it…you could have picked up a few bucks fixing it…ahhh but now you can’t…Conflict of Interest…:slight_smile:

You are correct however…in that in the past seminars I ask guys if they actually check the mast head when available…90% did not until I explained to them it may be helpful in sizing the service…since most of the time the mast is under the installation habits of the Electrician and not the POCO…atleast it is where I come from…just installed one on Friday…:slight_smile:

great picture and does serve to show guys…you have to be careful but most certainly they need to pop that ladder up and check the connections at the weatherhead…never know what you will find lurking their…

Ya, I try not to fix them any more. THe going rate for an upgade to a 200amp service would be between 1000 to 1400. Not Enough for me and my talent. HA

I also did 95 percent commercial and industrial. I never really liked doing residential wiring. My favorite job was probably a grocery store I did. There was more crammed into it than most factories I have wired. I also ejoyed remodeling 2 hospitals. The regular, emergency, critical, and life safety, branches of power made it very interesting. Not to mention all the generators.

I also did a data center for a bank. It was also crammed packed.

Here are some pictures from the last job that I did. THis is the job where I injured my shoulder. I will be having my 3rd surgery in January. Yes, I am dredding it already.

Wow…fella you have dabbled.

I have been primary in Residential since 1993 but before that I wired the Lexus building in Charlottesville, VA…they print law books and used to be Michie Publishing.

Had my fun with large CT Cabs and endless runs of 4" Rigid…OH I am SOOO glad those days are gone…I kinda like residential but these days they are all high dollar homes and we are really getting into data control systems and home automation…neat stuff.

Now I did not mind doing the strip mall shops…did quite a few of those…man they are easy…plans may give you 10-15 receptacles in the whole joint and mostly lighting and whamo…DONE…most of the time the engineering specs layed out our entire electrical plan…no brainer just do what is on the print.

I like residential because I can be creative…yet use it to teach my guys also …but winter is here…not LIKING rough in’s as of late…

OOPs, left out the picture.

2nd baptist ch0012.JPG

2nd baptist ch0012.JPG

2nd baptist ch0006.JPG

2nd baptist ch0039.JPG

2nd baptist ch0020.JPG

2 BAPT.JPG

and some.

IM000448.JPG

2nd baptist ch0005.JPG

Another weather head.

ELECTRIC CURLS.JPG

That’s quite a drip loop. A drip roller-coaster, rather. I do note that the nylon outer jacket is coming off the conductors, but that is permitted. I have a letter somewhere on my computer from Southwire, a popular wire and cable manufacturer, that states that this is normal, expected, and permissable. The nylon outer jacket is installed over top of the conductor insulation to protect the conductor’s insulation during installation. If it survives beyond the installation, that’s okay. If it comes off by some means later on, that’s okay too, as it already did it’s job.

MAN…all that bending of conduit is giving me a “Benfield” flashback…CLICKING MY HEELS and saying…No place like home…No place like home…ACK…

Won’t catch me bending pipe anymore or running 4" above my head…not this fella…

Nice runs BTW…very impressive.

Me neither on running the 4inch over head. I had days were I would run 3 or 4 inch all day overhead. Have also run 1-1/2 up the side of many grain elevators, and water towers. O happy days.

For Paul and Ben –

Oh, yeah??? Well, I installed a receptacle in a guy’s house, once…:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

lol…Congrats…you know more than half the helpers I seem to hire lately.