What should a Florida Inspector Do?

Originally Posted By: jmertins
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey guys,

Lets just say this bill goes through. Without attacking each other verbally. Where does the indusrty stand. Where do all the guys without 3 years and 250 inspections go? What would we do? How do we keep inspecting? Do we get an opportunity to work for or get hired by the 3 year/250 inspections guys? How will the 3 year/250 guys handle the influx of business. I am just looking for some feedback. Not trying to start a war here. But why the magic 3/250 number??? Besides the $$$'s has the repercussions on the industry and individuals really been thought out? Do we have any non HI's out there backing this bill? Any feedback would be interesting to hear.

John

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Very good questions? You should ask your FL Legislators these. I hope to have some answers by http://www.nachi.org/pensacola.htm

Nick

Nick,

I have been on the phone all morning. I called the capitol, I called my local rep. i am doing my best to find out answers. I plan to shake your hand, or at least listen to you in April. There are just sooo many loose strings with this bill. I am not for or against the licensing I just want a fair, level, and competitive playing field. Given an opportunity we can all still make this a great industry do be in.

I had a classic example yesterday. I was doing an inspection for a gentleman and his wife. It was the second for them b/c 5 minutes into the 1st one (last week) we found settling cracks and a garage wall that was bowing extremely bad. Upon completing the inspection and writing my summary, explaining the concerns we found. I asked the gentleman..."Have you always used HI's when buying property?" His answer was "you were the first." He has owned 7 properties in his life and never had an inspection done!!! I asked him " If I was not with you last week would you have gone through with that property?" His reply..."YES"

Right there is why I love this job.

Side note....I did not charge him for the one last week. In my heart and my morals. A 10 minute inspection did not justify a charge. I knew I had a customer, and I was being fair. We found that issue on page 2 of the book.

John

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Quote:
ENFORCEMENT OF VIOLATIONS.--Any violation of this section constitutes a deceptive and unfair trade practice, punishable as provided in part II of this chapter.

Now look at this part:

Quote:
A person may not provide or represent himself or herself as able to perform a professional home inspection for compensation unless the person is licensed in accordance with this section.

That means that if on the day the bill comes into effect (July 2004), you do not either:

1. Go and take the 90hr course, pass the psychometrically valid test that the state creates, have a GED or High School diploma, and be a person of "good" moral character, or

2. Meet the requirements to be grandfathered:
- 250 compensated inspections (good or bad)
- Be in business for "not fewer than 3 years prior to the effective date of this section"
- Have ALREADY "passed a psychometrically valid examination"
- Have a HS Diploma or equivalent
- Be of "good" moral character

Then you will be guilty as described is the bill in section 4:
Quote:
Any person who violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

SO WHAT TO DO?
Well John, this is where you need to do what you feel is the right thing, not just for you but for all the other inspectors out there who are not enjoying this forum.

As for me, I hope that you take part in putting an end to this unfair bill.

BY THE WAY, participate in the poll we have set up at:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=3226

Harvey

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

I voted on the poll. the bil will still have to go through 4 more steps in each house…alot to go through… we need to get another year to have this doen correctly. As for the 250 number…it’s a joke. Any number is a joke…does number 249 not quite make you good enough? I am for the licensing but not on this playing field.

John

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jmertins wrote:
I voted on the poll. the bil will still have to go through 4 more steps in each house...alot to go through.. we need to get another year to have this doen correctly. As for the 250 number...it's a joke. Any number is a joke...does number 249 not quite make you good enough? I am for the licensing but not on this playing field.

John

Agreed, sort of (that's what I've been saying).

Okay, ZERO inspections is the right number?

No?

10,000?

As I have stated before, more than once, every number is an arbitrary number, as this one is (nothing to really back it up).

Why 50?

Because, as a new inspector, if your eyes have not been opened by then, they never will be. You will do your 10,000 inspection that same way, blind.

If your eyes have been opened by then, each and every inspection will make you a better inspector. Number 1,000, number 5,000, even number 10,000.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

O.K. good point with the 50…I guess maybe that was what I was trying to say also…just didn’t say it. B/C I know that my first 50 there was a learning curve, and I have gotten better. No one can argue that they were perfect from the start. I must add though that I have only had 1 oversight that has cost me a refund… and it was a oversight on a wire size.

Not bad for a what you guys call a "newbie"

John

Originally Posted By: jpeck

When you talk to the legislators, tell them ‘Da man himself’ says 50 is good. icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, right, like they would know, or even care about what I say. Just another small voice out there speaking into the winds of time.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Jerry Da man:

I listen to everything you say, for what it's worth.

Nick

Harvey Gordon

hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: dbowers

In 1984 when I left Texas and moved north, there was nothing else outside of CREIA in California - so I joined ASHI. At that time they had 5 levels of membership. From ground zero they were as follows:

Apprentice Member (4); Technical Nominee (50); Intern Member (550); Associate Member (750); & Senior Member (1,000). The numbers after the levels were the required number of inspections. Untill you got to be an Associate Member you could not use their logo or claim to belong.

Because I'd been doing HI's part-time in Texas since 1976, I went in as an Intern Member. I was living in a semi-small Missouri Town (population 65,000 at that time), surrounded by smaller farm towns. I qualified for the Associate Membership level about 2 years later. The following year I met the quota for Senior Member AND the next month they abandoned that program and went to 2 levels of membership (Member & Candidate).

Although I had done HI's part-time since 1976 - in 1984 when I decided to go at it full time, I spent $1,455 on air fare, hotel, and tuition and went to the D.C area to take a week long home inspection training program.

I'm not the only old inspector by a long shot that came up this way. Which is exactly why you see some of the rules you do being dropped into the licensing acts. By the way, 20 years ago talking a realestaor or often even a home buyer into getting a home inspection was like tring to get a 800 pound gorilla to hold still for a proctology examination.

For the record 3/250 ain't squat. I've always been partial to 5/1,000.

Dan Bowers (Kansas City)

Dan, it is that same stinkin’ thinhkin’ that has us at this point today.

Harvey

the rest of the Representatives email addresses are like the ones above, it’s just their last name “.” their first name “@myfloridahouse.com”.

You can find the list of their names as well as the areas they serve at:
http://www.myfloridahouse.com/legislators.aspx

Don't just email them...cancel your Monday inspections and go save your future!

Harvey

--
Harvey Gordon
hgordon@fl.nachi.org