What should be our new membership requirement?

Does NACHI reward CE credits to veteran home inspectors
who help other inspectors with ride along inspections?

Of course, the veterans inspector should be offered some
money for his time and help (the newbie can work that out
with his mentor) … IMHO.

This would encourage a good thing.

I think a list of veteran inspectors should be made and
new members could go to that page to find help
in their area.

If this already exist, then I have missed it.

Also… if CMI inspectors were the ones limited
to provide this help… then veterans could list
themselves on their personal web site as a …
“NACHI APPROVED TRAINER”… this adds
to an inspectors list of credentials.

Hey, every little bit helps and this would be
a worthy designation for those willing to help…

as always… IMHO

If Nick want to push this… I will help.

Jim, read my post, I did not support any increase in the number of eductinal hours I support the issue of mandating that a portion of the require CE be of a more advanced nature.

Regards

Gerry

Nick; I don’t feel you have to increase the requirements to make NACHI more reputable. I think it’s just fine as-is…I know for the majority that are in established areas/chapters its easy to attain these extras. But for many of us, it is extremely difficult to attain. Please keep the Online courses coming…thats the best yet! and maybe even look into having online mold/others classes available, like some schools are doing? I’m sure you could even go as far as doing online moch inspections with HIGH QUALITY pictures etc. and see if you could spot the deficiencies and type up, or fill in a standard type inspection form, along with comments etc. Just an opinion.

I think part of CMI should take care of the more advanced things/learning rather than just increasing the basic requirements.?

John, any member can garner a maximum of 10 hours CE per year through mentoring other inspectors, this policy has been in place for 2 years at least;

http://www.nachi.org/cont_education.htm

Regards

Gerry

Three I rode with didn’t charge me…and asked for my opinion on a lot of things (Oh what a team we would make)…I learned quite a bit on those rides.

The only time I mentored someone a year or so ago, he bought my lunch. (If I knew he was going to pay I would have ordered more)

I dunno, I think it helps both parties, this ride along thing. Should every thing we do be financially based??..

Three I rode with didn’t charge me…and asked for my opinion on a lot of things (Oh what a team we would make)…I learned quite a bit on those rides.

The only time I mentored someone a year or so ago, he bought my lunch. (If I knew he was going to pay I would have ordered more)

I dunno, I think it helps both parties, this ride along thing. Should every thing we do be financially based??..

Thanks Steve,

That is another that is looking at things keeping in line with what Nick suggested… Check out my suggestion #3

Then again what is there Outside The Box? I’m still thinking… :neutral:

This is why I said that the newbie could work out the
payment option with the veteran. I paid my mentor
to help me… years ago…

but not every veteran would want pay. It should be
a voluntary thing… you are right Jay.

But if NACHI created a logo and designation for inspectors
to add to their web page that said …
NACHI APPROVED TRAINER… it would be a benefit.

BTW… Paul…

Where is the web page that list those who are available
to help with ride along inspections?

By having a page with listed veterans that are available
to help with ride along’s would be a big, big inspiration
to new members who are thinking about joining.
NACHI has got more “family appeal” than anyone
else out there.

I see the need for NICK to push the NACHI FAMILY
helping FAMILY as a huge key… to help make us
stand out more than all the rest… IMHO

No list that I know about. You just call them and ask right now. I like the Idea of an official list though.

Nick,

I think #1 option is better, but I don’t know why the need to increase from 24 -30? #2 option will favor the education vendors more. And perhaps a requirement to attend (X) amount of chapter meetings throughout the year. NACHI will grow better when we as members can meet and interact with our peers in person instead of through a keypad.

Being new to NACHI, I am asking this because I have never heard it discussed before. Is there something (in the web software, membership comm., etc…) that keeps track of the requirements now? In other words, if someone does not complete the electric course or roofing course after joining, are they removed from the membership?

If there are no “teeth” in the requirements now, should we be increasing them if we do not enforce the ones we have?

Now having said that, I would like to see Jason’s “more courses” ideas implemented as being a benefit to membership. Take the course if you want. Don’t take it if you don’t want to.

Just my opinion,
Bruce:)

I think you should add Termite inspectors license to # 2 as that is something almost every home buyer is required to get done before title company gives them any $$

Can you imagine the impact it would have for
new members and people in the other associations
to see a page with HUNDREDS of veterans, listed
as ready volunteers to help do ride along’s…

…and each listing showed the price they would
be asking was listed as FREE… wow, that
would be a powerful image of the FAMILY spirit
here at NACHI.

“NACHI APPROVED TRAINERS helping the NACHI family
at no charge!!! We work together and pull together.
Join the NACHI forum today to get your first thrashing”…:mrgreen:
after we get to know you for a little while, we treat
you like a piece of furniture".

OK>>> just some humor…

But I like the idea… hey it was my idea… do I
get some CE’s for this… Sorry Jay… no charge…:smiley:

Bruce,

Right now I know of nothing that is varified. I have been told that “If for some reason we need to varify a test we can look it up.”

It is currently up to us to be honest. More or less part of our COE.

:wink:

I cant say that increasing requirements for ride alongs, mandatory meetings, or many other items really raises the bar more than being subjective and arbitrary.

NACHI’s CEU requirements are already quite hign.

Marcel, to your question as to AIA courses, I need to remind you that inspectors need to be quite careful that they are not construed as performing the work of a registered architect or professional engineer. In fact, we are legally barred from offering opinions in either of these areas. We simply observe and report.

Here in NY, and I’m quite sure in other states, PEs are already claiming that HIs should be under their control, as we are performing the work of a PE. We are generally barred from evaluating the sizes of HVAC and electrical systems, as well.

The courses you speak of are nice, but should in no way be a requirement to be a HI.

John,

I like your idea!!!

“NACHI Approved Ride-along Trainer”
With an Official list!

Give me about 30min. I will come up with a Logo! Any suggestions??

NACHI Logo as part of a bicicle frame of one Inspector riding on the back of another? :mrgreen:

(Spell check not working again)

How much else can we add to this below other than EXPERIENCE.?

Requirements to apply for membership (working member):

1. You must have passed NACHI’s Online Inspector Examination (free) with a score of 80 or better.
  2. You must have completed NACHI’s Ethics Obstacle Course (free).
  3. You must have taken NACHI’s Standards of Practice Quiz (free).
  4. You must mail, fax, or submit online NACHI’s Affidavit.
  5. You must agree to adhere to the Standards of Practice.
  6. You must agree to abide by the Code of Ethics.
  7. You must agree to continue learning (24 hours/year) as per the Continuing Education Policy.
  8. You must agree to maintain your member Online Continuing Education Log (free) as per the Continuing Education Policy.
  9. You must agree that (after you join) if you have never performed a home inspection for a fee you will submit 4 mock inspections to NACHI’s Report Review Committee (free) before performing your first home inspection for a client.
  10. You must agree that within your first 10 days after joining, you will login to NACHIs educational message board.
  11. You must agree that within your first 30 days after joining, you will complete NACHI’s comprehensive online Standards of Practice course (free).
  12. You must agree that within your first 45 days after joining, you will complete NACHI’s comprehensive online Electrical course (free) including all the quizzes within and pass its final exam.
  13. You must agree that within your first 60 days after joining, you will complete NACHI’s comprehensive online Roofing course (free) including all the quizzes within and pass its final exam.
  14. You must agree that within your first 3 months of membership you will apply for a membership photo I.D. (free).
  15. You must agree that within your first year of membership you will re-take and pass NACHI’s Online Inspector Examination again (free) with a score of 80 or better.
  16. You must agree that within your first 2 years of membership you will attend at least one chapter meeting or educational seminar (reasonable exceptions apply).
  17. You must be actively working towards attaining a “Full” Membership.
  18. And coming in 2006: NACHI’s Occupant Hazard Recognition Primer.
    All members get all membership benefits. Fee is $289/year… not a penny more.
    Join Now.

**Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: **

Hi All, One word of caution here, I used to keep a list of inspectors who I knew were willing to help newer inspectors with ride alongs, I stopped giving out those names however due to the volumes of idiots who harrassed these members blind.

I suggest now that if newer members are looking for ride alongs that they call several inspectors at least 50 miles from their target markets.

Regards

Gerry

I have taken two inspectors on ride alongs, but they both left half way through, said I had no idea what I was doing.:mrgreen::wink:

Todd, I can not recall going down to Arizona, but if I did, I can’t imagine I would have told you something like that. ha. ha. :wink:

Marcel