What size extension ladder should I buy?

Was hoping 24’ foot extension ladder would be tall enough. Opinions?

How high do want to go? How big/strong are you? There are limitations with ladders that many do not consider. If you are working alone, larger ladders require more strength to carry. Stronger ladders support more weight (if your a big guy) but are heavier. Ladders are measured (sold) by putting extensions end to end (a 24ft ladder will not extend 24ft.

24 foot is probably a good size. Sometimes I carry my 13’ Little Giant type ladder up on one roof to get to another.

1 Like

I’m in the market as well.
Before investing in an extension ladder, research telescoping ladders. Certain versions are sturdy enough to hold you and your tools, and they are extremely convenient and portable.
The link below has a version with side extenders in order to provide further stability and safety from falls as well as adapters on the top to keep it from sliding.

1 Like

Xtend & Climb is the only one I would buy.

1 Like

I used a 16’ telescoping professional grade ladder, a 13’ adjustable a-frame Werner pro grade ladder and a 22’ adjustable Werner a-frame pro grade ladder.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Edit: To add pics.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/6360cc58-9118-474d-82f9-c82a2fd94d5c/svn/werner-multi-position-ladders-mt-22iaa-64_1000.jpg

And

image http://xtendandclimb.com/products/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/s/cs125_closed.png

http://xtendandclimb.com/products/all-products/pse125-300bl.html

3 Likes

Depending on what you want to use it for just know that a 24’ extension ladder will barely reach the eave of a 2 story slab home that is on a flat lot and it would not be considered safe for accessing the roof.

Werner makes a 24 foot 3 section extension ladder that is compact and fits nicely on a SUV or Wagon roof rack. I carry a telescopic extension ladder professional grade as well as a 6 foot step ladder.

If you want to walk 2+ story roofs & climb them directly from ground (vs split level roof), at least charge double. The risk goes up 10x One time is all it takes, you’re done. Many newbies are all excited and think they are superman… Consider pole camer/drone for skyscrappers :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I used to regularly use the second ladder method until one day my ladder slipped out from under me and I fell 24’ to the ground… that experience tends to change your perspective.

Now I carry a 17’ little giant and if it isn’t enough for me to get on the roof, I use a pole camera or drone.

6 Likes

If that ladder didn’t make it 3’ above the roof for a safe disembark on to the roof, I would not use it.

3 Likes

Correct, my good man. Absolutely, correct! :smile:

Yep like I said a 24’ ladder will barely reach the eave and is not safe for accessing the roof. Just showing a picture for reference

2 Likes

I use the gorilla 22’. Anything above that I use the drone.

Great topic here guys. I’ve been looking around for a ladder as well. I really like Little Giant 26’ mainly because it will fit in the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Is there any other ladders that I can throw in the back but still extend past the eaves?
Thanks

Sorry about your mishap. Always secure the ladder first! The whole point of my post was in fact safety. How you use a ladder may depend on your strength and build, especially if you work alone. That 17 foot Little Giant probably weighs twice as much as a 24’ aluminum extension ladder. The three section Ken posted about will weigh more than a normal two piece extension…etc.

Brent, I found that old rubber backed carpet samples from a carpet store were perfect to put on the slippery deck or grass to set the ladder on. And, of course, a couple of bungee cords to secure it to the gutter or a ladder stand off for the top to rest on the shingle with a small rope that I would secure somewhere worked great. :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, Ken, I got that…just expounding on it.

That must be one big SUV, the 26 LG is very heavy and long.
And nearly impossible for one man to safely extend (when using as a full extension ladder).

1 Like

No AC disconnect?

AC%20Disconnect

1 Like

This is the ladder I have my eye on. Any feedback would be great.

https://www.wayfair.ca/storage-organization/pdx/lt-26-multipurpose-7-ft-aluminum-multi-position-ladder-lgls1048.html?&experiencetype=2&selectedvertical=3

Just wanting to get some additional feedback. We all agree life is precious. As was mentioned, all it takes is one time to change you and your family’s life forever. If you have employees, would OSHA standards come into play? If you are a one-man operation, and feel you have to walk the roof, would the following be a viable solution? Tying off to an anchor (something solidly grounded like a tree or a vehicle that can support at least 5,000 pounds, making sure you have the keys and put a sign in the car that says “Do No Use”) on the opposite side of the building, using fall protection (a harness, lanyard, rope, etc.). True, it will take time and you will have to come down and tie off again to an anchor point to walk the other side. If you feel you can’t charge enough to do this for your safety, maybe view, touch and feel the shingles you can from the roof edge that is accessible from your ladder, and use a poll camera or drone for the rest. See the following link:
https://drive.google.com/a/rbcprojects.org/file/d/1yZSQIwODnRnK4Dv8DnONdIosJj53BsQ1/view?usp=drivesdk.

3 Likes